Bi-Xenon Headlight Aiming With ABC Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S55 AMG
Bi-Xenon Headlight Aiming With ABC Suspension

Hey friends,

Ever since I bought my 2005 S55 AMG last October the headlights have been pointing downward at the ground reducing my night time visibility. Last night I finally decided to try to aim them and realized I had no idea how to do it.

I did some research and came up with some confusing information. It appears that most of the Bi-Xenon HID head lights on W220 S-Classes have an auto-leveling feature that should keep them aimed correctly. However I also read in a few places that cars equipped with the Active Body Control (ABC) suspension, as my S55 is, do not have this auto leveling feature as the level adjustment from the suspension is deemed adequate.

As I'm sure someone will be tempted to ask, am I certain I have the Bi-Xenon HID headlights? I actually have the original order slip for the car and it lists "614 - BI-XENON HEADLAMPS FOR RIGHT-HAND TRAFFIC" and the headlights themselves are plastered in high voltage warnings so I'm quite sure they are in fact Bi-Xenon headlights.

So I have a few questions. Firstly is there any way to make certain whether or not my headlights have this auto-leveling feature? If they do and they are both pointing downward how do I go about diagnosing/fixing the problem? I know that there is a control module and a front and rear axle leveling sensor that could cause the issue.

If the headlights do not have the auto-leveling feature how does one go about manually adjusting their aim?

Thanks for any help you can provide, as always I appreciate the effort.

-Sean R
Old 06-22-2016, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Cars with ABC don't need headlight levelling as the car is always level.

However, the headlights still need adjustment when they're removed and refitted, so there has to be a facility. Open the hood, and you'll see some white plastic adjustment nuts in the top of the headlights.

Nick
The following users liked this post:
SeanR1700 (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 08:06 PM

2005 S55 AMG
Thanks for the help Mr. Welwynnick, upon further inspection I believe I found the white hex adjustment nut things you were talking about. I will try my luck with them later this evening when it gets darker.

I found 2 white hex nuts, one was exposed and the other has an immobile piece of black plastic over it. I've found a picture I believe to be identical to the headlights in my car and used the finest Microsoft Paint techniques to highlight and label what I'm talking about.

Would you happen to know why that 2nd white hex nut thing is inaccessible?

Thanks again!

Old 06-22-2016, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Just try adjusting the exposed one and see if the light adjusts
Old 06-22-2016, 11:01 PM

2005 S55 AMG
It finally got dark enough for me to try adjusting the headlights. Sure enough that exposed white hex nut thing adjusts the headlight up and down, exactly what I needed. I can only assume the covered one is for horizontal adjustments. Oddly enough while I was adjusting them one of the bulbs died, luckily I had a spare handy so it was all good. My visibility is so much better now, I'm pretty happy.

Thanks for all the help, appreciate it!
Old 06-24-2016, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
I have ABC and replaced both of my headlights (I always do them in pairs). Interestingly enough I have never experienced a problem with them not be properly positioned and never had to make any adjustments.