Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > S-Class (W220)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Sponsored by : My Mercedes Parts
Click Here

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 59
Drives: 2003 Jaguar XJR, 2000 S500
Unhappy How to change S500 rotors and pads?

My brake pads are completely done, and rotors are wropped the car is hard to stop. I bought it like that! I just recently got it about two weeks ago. Ive been going thru many post and forums but most are for just brake pads, I want to do the rotors too.

is it just like a standard car? with the 2 bolts that hold the caliper in, tap it slide it out and the little nut that holds the rotor. and remove that and it comes off? or is there some exotic difficult design with Mercedes?

btw this is what I bought. Ive used them before with my Jaguar (boy can they stop yur car in a flash).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

shoot_da_breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 3,170
Drives: S600, GL450, 2014 Mazda 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot_da_breeze View Post
My brake pads are completely done, and rotors are wropped the car is hard to stop. I bought it like that! I just recently got it about two weeks ago. Ive been going thru many post and forums but most are for just brake pads, I want to do the rotors too.

is it just like a standard car? with the 2 bolts that hold the caliper in, tap it slide it out and the little nut that holds the rotor. and remove that and it comes off? or is there some exotic difficult design with Mercedes?

btw this is what I bought. Ive used them before with my Jaguar (boy can they stop yur car in a flash).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
If you have changed brakes before, as you described above, you will be fine with a MB.

Nothing exotic or special.

Just make sure to have one HUGE sledge hammer , as I had to beat the living **** out of the old rotors as they were frozen on the spindle.

It will take you more time to get the car in the air and the tires off, then it does to change the brakes, IMHO
MRAMG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 59
Drives: 2003 Jaguar XJR, 2000 S500
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAMG1 View Post
If you have changed brakes before, as you described above, you will be fine with a MB.

Nothing exotic or special.

Just make sure to have one HUGE sledge hammer , as I had to beat the living **** out of the old rotors as they were frozen on the spindle.

It will take you more time to get the car in the air and the tires off, then it does to change the brakes, IMHO
what do you mean by it'll take me more time to get the car in the air and take the tires off? is it that easy?

I have one last question does the caliper come off like that or im going to have problems? because on most of the threads they talk about taking the caliper apart and all this other stuff for the brake pads.

and how do you bleed the brakes? ive never done that before and i think it could help if i did.
shoot_da_breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 3,170
Drives: S600, GL450, 2014 Mazda 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot_da_breeze View Post
1. what do you mean by it'll take me more time to get the car in the air and take the tires off? is it that easy?

2. I have one last question does the caliper come off like that or im going to have problems? because on most of the threads they talk about taking the caliper apart and all this other stuff for the brake pads.

3. and how do you bleed the brakes? ive never done that before and i think it could help if i did.
1. YES they can be changed that easily. It will take less than 10 minutes a side. Even if you are REALLY slow. You will need one small punch pin to remove the old pads. A pair of channel locks on the old pads works great to push the pistons back in, or you can rent a pad spliter at any AUTO store.

2. Yes, a couple of bolts and they are off. NOTHING tricky. I like to reinstall the bolts with a little bit of BLUE locktite on them.

3. You do NOT need to bleed the brakes when changing out pads and rotors. And I would STRONGLY suggest that IF you have NEVER done this before,DO NOT let your MB be your first.

My local MB dealer changes my brake fluid for ma for $100. Think long and hard on this before attempting yourself.

It is NOT that difficult, but if done wrong it can lead to poor braking, loss of ABS system, etc, etc.
MRAMG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 272
Drives: 2005 CLK500 cab, 2004 S600 designo mocha
There's nothing to worry about with brake assist or anything?
babyman1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 59
Drives: 2003 Jaguar XJR, 2000 S500
What size socket are the 2 screws holding in the caliper on the rotor / spindle? I changed the pads, easiest thing ever. But I guess my rotors are really bad because the car is still hard to stop. But the pistons on the calipers I had just pushed them back with my hands and using the old brake pads. I got dirt but its nothing that some Palmolive cant take out.
shoot_da_breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 59
Drives: 2003 Jaguar XJR, 2000 S500
Ive taken the calipers apart to paint them lol, now all the fluid is gone. What do I do? I was just going to put some more juice in the resivore, dot 4 right? Any idea on how many it might take? and how came i get off a stripped rotor retainer bolt? it was like that when i got it.
shoot_da_breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 3,170
Drives: S600, GL450, 2014 Mazda 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot_da_breeze View Post
Ive taken the calipers apart to paint them lol, now all the fluid is gone. What do I do? I was just going to put some more juice in the resivore, dot 4 right? Any idea on how many it might take? and how came i get off a stripped rotor retainer bolt? it was like that when i got it.
Step one, YOU MUST bleed the brakes now. DO NOT drive it tell this is done. Judging by your questions and response, PLEASE have a reputable service station preform this. I would NOT recomend it for you my friend.

Next, the retaining allen head bolt is aluminum, just drill it out. Go SLOW with a good bit as all you need to do is pop the head. As you are replacing the rotors, it really doesn't matter if you hit into them.

Good luck
MRAMG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Member
 
tower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 83
Drives: 2002 s500
Be careful with bleeding the brakes. You should use a pressure bleeder to do it. Makes it the easiest anyways. If you try the pedal pump technique, there is a good chance you will destroy the o-rings in the brake master cylinder if you press the brake petal to far. I like Mr.Amg1's solution if you have never done it before because it is difficult to change out the brake fluid in the ABS system.
tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 59
Drives: 2003 Jaguar XJR, 2000 S500
Ive bleed the brakes and they are back to like new. They stop hard. But I have some lights on the dash well messages. Whats ESP, and BAS? and the little yellow ABS is on. If I disconnect the battery and re do it. Will that reset it? Or Do I need a OBII reader or some special ABS reader?
shoot_da_breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Koblenz,Germany/Chicago Suburb,Illinois
Posts: 34
Drives: 2002 S320-CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot_da_breeze View Post
Ive bleed the brakes and they are back to like new. They stop hard. But I have some lights on the dash well messages. Whats ESP, and BAS? and the little yellow ABS is on. If I disconnect the battery and re do it. Will that reset it? Or Do I need a OBII reader or some special ABS reader?
Are you sure you can drive?
brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 457
Drives: s430
yes you can, but it could be the speed sensor take it out and clean it and reinstall and see if that fixes it first.
corkshoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:17 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2000, benz, brakes, breaks, change, changeing, mbenz, mercedes, put, rotor, rotors, s430, s500, sclass, specs



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.
Everyone's Personal Details