S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

W220- S320.Year 2000; power door & central locking problem.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220, S320L, Petrol, Automatic , year 2000.
Post W220- S320.Year 2000; power door & central locking problem.

Hi,
Everybody I am a new member to this forum, I have a W220 -S320 petrol car, i have a problem with the central door locking system and also the soft door closing system.I have opened the boot to check the air pump, but the air supply tubes all go behind the left side rear seats which i tried to open to check their conections, but could not do so as the bottom seats were very tricky to open hence gave up.

Could anyone suggest me how to Open the REAR SEATS and also how the Air Pneumatic system works and their connections (diagram) to the seats, doors,boot etc ??

I highly appreciate your HELP
jimmy5
Old 10-07-2011, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Welcome again to the forum, jimmy5!

Please check the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...tart-here.html or at http://www.mbca.org/forum/w220-s-cla...dia-start-here - under the heading "Body" and then "Soft Close Problems" they contain links to discussion of the PSE pump, its location, and troubleshooting soft close problems. Hopefully, they also contain other information you will find useful.

You remove the rear seat (if it is a bench seat) by reaching under the lower front lip of the bench, and feel for a tab - one on the right, one on the left, both not far from the rear seat courtesy lights, but toward the corners. Pull the tabs, and the bench lifts out.

However, with soft close problems it is more likely that you have a leaking actuator at one of the door latches; at the trunk locking mechanism; or at the lumbar adjustment for your front seats. If the pump is working at all, listen closely at each of these locations for a hissing sound - that will be where the leak is. Removal of the seat is probably not necessary.

If a leak persists, the PSE (soft close) pump may enter a self-protection mode, and shut down; also, its fuse may blow. You can reset the pump by pulling and reinstalling its fuse (check it too, of course - be sure it is good). It is located on the rear seat fuse panel, which is behind the passenger side courtesy light below the back seat. You will see that the rather small light is surrounded by a much larger plastic panel - the panel is actually the cover for the fuse panel (and the fuse panel is located on a Signal Acquisition Module, or SAM; you can read about them in the Encyclopedia as well). One can hear the PSE pump running, faintly, after closing a door or the trunk; if you don't hear it at all, check its fuse.

I know you don't have a fuse diagram, from your prior post; so see post #6 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...2004-s430.html - it shows you the PSE pump fuse location. It is the only 20-amp fuse on the fuse panel, and it should be yellow.

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-07-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:56 PM

W220, S320L, Petrol, Automatic , year 2000.
Hi Skaylaw, Thanks for a fast reply, the rear seat is not a bench seat, the lumber seat wheel switch has a air pipe which has aged and breaking off, i need to change it but due to the seat problem i cant reach to replace the air pipe, i managed to remove the back L/R and center seat seat but the bottom seat which slides (electrically) i could not remove, how do i remove it ? also which are the areas the air pipes connects to?
Old 10-07-2011, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
See this link - it has exploded diagrams for different back seat configurations. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...-backseat.html Unfortunately, it does not give any instructions itself, but it contains a link to another thread that may help more. Click each photo to enlarge it. You may be able to see something helpful; or perhaps the gentleman who provided the information, eric242340, may be able to help more. He owns a Mercedes repair shop in China.

I don't know where the air hoses connect for the lumbar support.

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-07-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:59 PM

2005 s500 4matic
central locking problem

hello
sunday morning i found out i could not open my trunk unless i used the key. while trying to fix that i then realized my doors would not lock when i turned on the alarm. at this point i had to find out what was my problem.
it doesn't seem like the vacuum supply is turning on. when i found the fuse for it it was blown, i replaced and it blew right away, i did replace it with the engine off and key out if that makes a difference. thats as far as i got because it was hot and i was hotter, l figured i would calm down and try to get some advice before i try again. does anyone know if that fuse powers anything else or if there is a relay for vacuum pump aswell?
hope to here from somebody
thanks

Last edited by lavard1@verizon; 07-24-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
I would probably try to unplug the pump then try putting a fuse in to see if the pump is the one that is shorted.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by lavard1@verizon
hello
sunday morning i found out i could not open my trunk unless i used the key. while trying to fix that i then realized my doors would not lock when i turned on the alarm. at this point i had to find out what was my problem.
it doesn't seem like the vacuum supply is turning on. when i found the fuse for it it was blown, i replaced and it blew right away, i did replace it with the engine off and key out if that makes a difference. thats as far as i got because it was hot and i was hotter, l figured i would calm down and try to get some advice before i try again. does anyone know if that fuse powers anything else or if there is a relay for vacuum pump aswell?
hope to here from somebody
thanks
Funny how EXACTLY the same thing happened to me over the weekend. Replace the fuse (20A fuse under the rear seat), and it blow right away.

$800 later, and the problem is fixed ($650 for the pump), the rest for labor (including check up for rest of the car + some misc job)
Old 08-09-2012, 10:17 PM

2005 S500
I have the same problem as all of you do with the central locking system on a 05 s500, I can hear the pump coming on and then off is there anything else I should try before taking the car in for possible replacement of the pump?
Thanks
Tracy
Old 01-07-2015, 03:04 AM

S500
Hi, just had the exact same problem with my 1999 S500 the other day, I could not lock my doors with electronic key, couldn't open the boot lid, doors would not "soft" close.
Found a blown fuse in the rear fuse box...number six across the top...recommend you use a multimeter to test which fuse is a dud.
Strange though, Mercedes fuse chart recommends a 20A fuse, I found 15A already installed, ok, I put in the "correct" 20A fuse and it immediately blew...mmmm....then replaced with another 15A fuse, seems to have work as everything is back to working order, doors, boot lid and central locking.
Any answers why a lesser 15amp fuse works better than the recommended 20amp?
Old 12-13-2023, 02:04 AM

S500
2000 S500
Hi, I too have the same problem my boot will not open only with the key and the key is starting not to open first time. The difference to you all above is that my pump is working my diaphram plunger is actuating, its been sealed and is operating the latches ONLY when the boot is open. When I close the boot I hear the latch trying to open when I touch the remote but it doesnt open and I have tgo use the key again. My soft door closing has stopped working so to has the boot. I have tested the "Puk" diaphragm for leaks andtried to hold the plunger in when it operated and there is a lot of pressure and I couldnt hold it back so I had to let it go. I did notice a little hiss when it operated coming from the plunger momentarily but thats all. I took the key mechanism out just to see how it operated and there is no mechanical way it touched an arm to mechanically open the boot just operates a microswitch is this correct? On many cars once the key is turned it is open so you can use the push button please let me know. I am now at a standstill I dont know where to turn as its all working I think as it should but not opening, the doors all lock correctly but no soft close its just the boot not opening and no soft close either. Please let me have your thoughts.
"There is some great people in this world the problem is finding them"