S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

PSE Pump wowes.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S430
PSE Pump wowes.

I removed the pump and took it apart to embark through the tutorial to clean and rebuild the unit to find out that the pump itself was junk. It looks like it had gotten wet or something and just smoked the unit.

I purchased one from a local junk yard for 135.00 and installed it and had to replace the 20amp fuse under the passenger rear seat. That got the pump started and it ran strong for a bit and now seems to have filled a tank somewhere but it seems to be creeping along still. I removed the wire harness from it for fear it would burn it up eventually.

None of the door locks were working during that period. What does that sound like and how would I go about diagnosing it from this point? I did get the hoses back on correctly I marked them well as per suggestions from others here in the group.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Not sure what your description sounds like. With the limited data provided, I would suspect you have a massive leak somewhere in the PSE network. Perhaps a plastic hose that's snapped, etc. The PSE pump is susceptible to burn out if it never draws vacuum. You just have to trace and inspect the vacuum lines and vacuum modules. You should begin by removing all the vacuum lines from the PSE pump and capping all ports on the pump housing. Activate the system to ensure the PSE pump logic is working correctly. The pump should cycle on/off rather quickly. Then install one vacuum line and test. Repeat, adding one line at a time, until the system fails. That should be the vacuum line that's got a problem.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 03-26-2012, 06:54 PM

2001 S430
Originally Posted by MB-Dude
Not sure what your description sounds like. With the limited data provided, I would suspect you have a massive leak somewhere in the PSE network. Perhaps a plastic hose that's snapped, etc. The PSE pump is susceptible to burn out if it never draws vacuum. You just have to trace and inspect the vacuum lines and vacuum modules. You should begin by removing all the vacuum lines from the PSE pump and capping all ports on the pump housing. Activate the system to ensure the PSE pump logic is working correctly. The pump should cycle on/off rather quickly. Then install one vacuum line and test. Repeat, adding one line at a time, until the system fails. That should be the vacuum line that's got a problem.
A little more work on it today. I think it is some sort of pressure switch in the used pump actually. I got everything working correctly except the passenger door but it all started working and while diagnosing the passenger door issue again it started running until basically it was full then the pump just creeped along running like 1 pump a second type of thing were when it was running to do work it ran like I would imagine.

So with that is there a limit switch or pressure switch in the pump assembly I might be able to clean or lube?

Also I am trying to take the passenger door panel off and I have gotten close except the SRS airbag seems to be my only issue. It does not seem to want to budge at all. I got the door closing handle loose so its not that but how do you get the airbag to either release or come out so I can then remove the door panel?

I do notice when pulling up on the passenger door lock that it moves much more freely than the other 3 doors. I can feel resistance in the other door locks. So I am trying to repair the passenger door first then work back to the pump just in case the door lock does have ANYTHING to do with the issue.

Any help is appreciated. Or a link to a manual that will help me to remove the passenger door panel and maybe troubleshoot the locking system. Which by the way when it worked a few times was like a dream. I know its the little things huh.

Robert
Old 03-26-2012, 07:49 PM

2001 S430
Okay got the door panel off. But not sure what I am looking at as I have never seen the inside of the door panel before. There are two things that concern me. One has the familiar yellow hose going to it but it just seems to be free floating in the door and seems like it would rattle. The other thing is a rubber diaphram in some sort of plastic bowl. Bare with me I used my iphone camera to sneak a peak inside. Please see attached photos. Can someone please explain if these look right or if its all one piece that broke maybe?
Attached Thumbnails PSE Pump wowes.-img_1151-small.jpg   PSE Pump wowes.-img_1152-small.jpg   PSE Pump wowes.-img_1153-small.jpg   PSE Pump wowes.-img_1154-small.jpg   PSE Pump wowes.-img_1155-small.jpg  

PSE Pump wowes.-img_1156-small.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 11:02 PM

2002 S430
Check the lumbar supports. A very likely place for (pressure) leak.

Start with turning the dials to zero on both front seats and let the pump have a litle time to recover.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:37 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
SL63 (R230), CL500 (C215), SL55 (R129), CE300-24 Cabrio (A124)
Originally Posted by tekati
Okay got the door panel off. But not sure what I am looking at as I have never seen the inside of the door panel before. There are two things that concern me. One has the familiar yellow hose going to it but it just seems to be free floating in the door and seems like it would rattle. The other thing is a rubber diaphram in some sort of plastic bowl. Bare with me I used my iphone camera to sneak a peak inside. Please see attached photos. Can someone please explain if these look right or if its all one piece that broke maybe?
Hi.

The plastic over the diaphragm is broken and felt off.
A typical problem.
You need a lock since MB is not selling this part seperately.

Cheers, Frank
Old 10-01-2016, 09:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sl55
I know this is old but I'm reading it....yes, the pump creeping and blowing the fuse is a symptom of the pressure switch not closing to stop the pump. Here;s a pic of the pressure switch.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by iammalibuboy
I know this is old but I'm reading it....yes, the pump creeping and blowing the fuse is a symptom of the pressure switch not closing to stop the pump. Here;s a pic of the pressure switch.

[IMG]https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbworld.org-vbulletin/1280x960/80-img_2133_73f1188d01763e99042e98bba50afeba764b33d8. jpg[/G]
To be fair, it could be the switch or that the pressure doesn't build up enough due to a leak
Old 10-02-2016, 09:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sl55
Not in the situation described..
"it started running until basically it was full then the pump just creeped along running".

If a leak, the pump would continue to run full speed.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Not really, it could be a very small leak.