Changed out my transmission mount the other day...Pics inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Changed out my transmission mount the other day...Pics inside

Well, I got a chance to change out my trans mount the other day. I took some basic pics of the locations since when I was doing it I could find any except for a step by step procedure.

Vibrations under acceleration in the rear of the car is what started it all. Once the mount was out, it looked the same as the new one, so wasn't sure if I had the right problem at first. But upon further inspection I noticed slight twisting of the small letter that were written on the mount.

The swap took me 40mins, and this was my first time under the car so I'm not the most familiar with it yet. So it can easily be done with a jack, 16mm, 13mm with an extention, alone with an 8mm socket for the skid plate that covers the transmission.

Here are soome pics as promised..This is the transmission pan from looking underneath the front of the car.

Here is the black plate that needs to be removed once the trans is jacked up. The mount is directly bolted to it. The 2 smaller bolt are actually bolted to the mount for those that haven't done this repair yet. The mount is at the rear of the transmission which is close to midway of the car

Here is the actual mount. Notice the grounding strap, make sure to install the same direction and include the strap as you see it.

I tried the best I could with the pics. I only had the car on ramps and my driveway slants downward so it was a challenge even getting enough room to do this let alone get a camera in the for pics. But I hope this helps out the next person
Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opposite-lock...
cool, thanks for sharing that - I'd seen someone's post in the AMG forum the other day about changing their mount and I was like "boy it'd been great to see some pics so I can know what I'll inevitably be facing sooner or later"

perfect!

love those cheap / easy fixes - few & far between for us heh heh
Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yea, I know. I was saying the samething. I had to bring out my ipad to make sure I was doing it right. I need pics for things like this that I haven't done before.

I can also see how this is something that can need replacing often. There isn't much to the rubber. But like you said, good thing it's cheap

You'll love the way it feels after, there's no doubt about that.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 S55 AMG
How many miles did you have the car? I think i might need to change mine.. Plus how much was the tranny mount?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ItsAdam1
How many miles did you have the car? I think i might need to change mine.. Plus how much was the tranny mount?
Sorry, just saw your post. The car had 82K miles on it when I noticed it. I just got the car a little over a month ago. The part was cheap. I think the one I got was almost $40, but I don't see why the $15 one wouldn't work. If I were you I would just go do it..it's easy and there's no doubt it won't help