S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2000 S500 Interior Panel & Headrest

Old 05-16-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 500
2000 S500 Interior Panel & Headrest

Searched the threads and didn't find anything on this one. I'm changing my drivers seat and seatbelt and I don't know how to get the side panel off. Its the one with a felt like covering and I want to get a new one or have it redone anyway as its pretty shabby from 450K miles of getting in & out of the car.

Regarding the headrest, I have some instructions that says simply to remove it before taking the seat out. There are no clips on it like they have on my ML430. Anyone out there know how to get them out?

Any assistance here is certainly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:52 PM

2002 S430
Mine is an S430, but the job should be the same.

To remove the side trim first pop off the small cover over the lower end of the belt.

Undo the belt screw, will need a torx bit.

In the back of the trim, from the direction of the rear seat there is a hole. Peep in with a flash you will see a screw head, undo the screw using a phillips driver.

Go back to the well where you removed the belt from, in the upper corner there is slot, thru that using good sized flat head screw driver push aside a click-in fastener.

Now the back part of the trim is loose, all it remains gently pry off form the back to the front.

As for the head rest, this what my manual says:

Tilt the back of the seat rearward for easier removal and installation.

To remove press the switch upward and hold until the headrest is fully extended. Then pull the head restraint out.

To install: press the switch upward and hold about 5 seconds. Press the headrest down until it engages. Adjust the head restraint to the desired position.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 PM

S 500
Originally Posted by trombone
Mine is an S430, but the job should be the same.

To remove the side trim first pop off the small cover over the lower end of the belt.

Undo the belt screw, will need a torx bit.

In the back of the trim, from the direction of the rear seat there is a hole. Peep in with a flash you will see a screw head, undo the screw using a phillips driver.

Go back to the well where you removed the belt from, in the upper corner there is slot, thru that using good sized flat head screw driver push aside a click-in fastener.

Now the back part of the trim is loose, all it remains gently pry off form the back to the front.

As for the head rest, this what my manual says:

Tilt the back of the seat rearward for easier removal and installation.

To remove press the switch upward and hold until the headrest is fully extended. Then pull the head restraint out.

To install: press the switch upward and hold about 5 seconds. Press the headrest down until it engages. Adjust the head restraint to the desired position.
Thanks, I really appreciate the procedure and will try it this weekend, however there is no switches of any kind on the headrest or that area.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:59 PM

2002 S430
The switch is on the door together with the other seat moving options.

Oops, I read again you question, what I wrote about removing the side trim, that is meant to be the side of the seat.

Now, I think your question actually was about the wall panel between the windows, where the upper end of the belt is lodged. If so, I never did that. It looks to be a pry off job, but in such cases I always ask the how-to-do at a Mercedes body shop (unless somebody on the forum helps us out).

What I wrote about the head rest is accurate and tested.