S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

s430 passenger windows, mirror, seat adjustement all dead

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430 2002
s430 passenger windows, mirror, seat adjustement all dead

on my 2002 s430, suddenly the passenger door lost power, the seat can't be adjusted, window doesn't work (not even from the driver door control, or remote), mirror adjustment, mirror folding, mirror light, basically the passenger door is dead. I've done a lot of research, checked all the fuses in left/right hood compartments (13, 49, (40A fuses) basically I checked every single fuse in the hood as well as under the rear sit). Everything appears to be fine, but still no luck. I've tried disconnecting the battery, waited an hour, connected back on, no luck. More EBS and ABS errors started to pop up, but was able to clear those by turning the wheel to the right then left and restart the vehicle. I opened the passenger door panel partially, so I could access the door control module (the switch for seat adjustment), reset all the connectors, still the same. I've tried to test the power cables that go into the module, and was able to confirm that there is power coming in.

I've done more research and found out that rain can cause an issue, and a little background, that when it rains, water would leak from the rear passenger side top mirror/light section. I removed the rear seat, and there was no signs of water.

Initially everything was working, and the problem started with SRS light going on, when someone a bit heavy would sit on the passenger seat, so I would jump on the seat couple of times, the light would go off, however this time, I did the same, the light went off and the passenger door died. The only thing that works on that door is the door lock.

How can I check, whether the issue is the door control module (that switch on the door), or something that most people call SAM. Where the SAM is located? Is it under the rear seat, or under the passenger seat?

I'm a bit confused which part is actually causing the issue. Could that be just the sensor that triggers the SRS light?

Then I noticed that CD player would say "NO magazine detected", but that issue went away, after I disconnected the battery for an hour.

Went to Autozone, but their diagnostic tool didn't show any errors.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 PM

2002 S430
It is your battery. Most likely you need a new one.

You may try the switch-off/remove the key/wait/restart the engine and all functions may come back as if nothing happened. Nevertheless, you will need new battery soon.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
I agree with Trombone. A weak battery on that car can introduce all kind of ghost. I replaced mine about 3 weeks ago because the car started doing some real creepy stuff. The transmission was acting funny, the passenger side seat and head rest would move for no apparent reason, car had sort of like a delayed start, and a few other ghost.

Changed the battery and everything is back to normal. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:54 PM

04 Crossfire MB 5.0L M113 V8 6spd, 05 Bagged SRT6w/55K AMG V8 ,2016 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by mrvegas2008
on my 2002 s430, suddenly the passenger door lost power, the seat can't be adjusted, window doesn't work (not even from the driver door control, or remote), mirror adjustment, mirror folding, mirror light, basically the passenger door is dead. I've done a lot of research, checked all the fuses in left/right hood compartments (13, 49, (40A fuses) basically I checked every single fuse in the hood as well as under the rear sit). Everything appears to be fine, but still no luck. I've tried disconnecting the battery, waited an hour, connected back on, no luck. More EBS and ABS errors started to pop up, but was able to clear those by turning the wheel to the right then left and restart the vehicle. I opened the passenger door panel partially, so I could access the door control module (the switch for seat adjustment), reset all the connectors, still the same. I've tried to test the power cables that go into the module, and was able to confirm that there is power coming in.

I've done more research and found out that rain can cause an issue, and a little background, that when it rains, water would leak from the rear passenger side top mirror/light section. I removed the rear seat, and there was no signs of water.

Initially everything was working, and the problem started with SRS light going on, when someone a bit heavy would sit on the passenger seat, so I would jump on the seat couple of times, the light would go off, however this time, I did the same, the light went off and the passenger door died. The only thing that works on that door is the door lock.

How can I check, whether the issue is the door control module (that switch on the door), or something that most people call SAM. Where the SAM is located? Is it under the rear seat, or under the passenger seat?

I'm a bit confused which part is actually causing the issue. Could that be just the sensor that triggers the SRS light?

Then I noticed that CD player would say "NO magazine detected", but that issue went away, after I disconnected the battery for an hour.

Hey,
Did you ever get your issue fixed? Can you post an update?
Old 03-16-2015, 11:36 AM

s420
Originally Posted by silverjimm
Hey,
Did you ever get your issue fixed? Can you post an update?
My 97 s420 had the same problem and changed all related fuses and relays without much help.
Power windows only, would work for a short while, after battery was disconnected.I finally got a comfort module from the local junk yard for $15 and replaced it and everything has worked since then. Part # 1408200026. Similar module may work for you as well.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:45 PM

2001 s430
Alternator not charging. Out of options

2001 s430. Replaced battery. Replaced alternator. Replaced both front SAMs Car would drive but after awhile would cut out due to alternator not charging. Replaced fuse under passenger side floor board that was blown and that aluminum fuse race that was also blown. Still same problem. Someone mentioned could be the overcharge protection circuit. After reading threads should also tell you that I need to replace passenger door switch and instrument panel not working and not covered under recall (stopped short of my vin). Not sure where to go next.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S430, 2014 E350
For future reference, before replacing a whole alternator. Try just replacing the voltage regulator with brushes. Its a much cheaper part than to replace the whole thing. Usually that is the thing that goes on the alternator, unless you burned the coils or the bearings are shot.

The fuse box under the passenger footwell (Block 30 connector) contains high current fuses, 160 amps 80 amps etc. If that blows, you have a major electrical problem. Something is shorting out, did you check relays? Check to make sure the relays are plugged into the correct spots. Check to see if the relay contacts are welded together from high current and arcing. I've seen Relay N and M switched around and causing the ECU to fry and multiple fuses to blow.

Block 30 is a power splitter; connected directly to the main battery in the trunk.

Last edited by cybertronicify; 03-17-2015 at 03:43 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:49 PM

Mercedes S430
Really, the battery? that was a quick diagnoses. So what if it is not the battery, after all he said he had power coming into the module. The reason that I say that is that I have the same problem and my battery is 3 months old, and I did a load test on it and it is fine. So what would be your diagnoses now? because I try to solve this problem with my car, and I have no success so far.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:54 PM

2002 s430 Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by trombone
It is your battery. Most likely you need a new one.

You may try the switch-off/remove the key/wait/restart the engine and all functions may come back as if nothing happened. Nevertheless, you will need new battery soon.
I change the battery and it does the same thing
Old 01-17-2017, 06:54 AM

mercedes w220
S280 1998. Same problem but my car's battery is brand new. Any other suggestion to fix the problem is welcome.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:28 PM

s430
Door control module

I had the problem with no seat adjustment window opening etc. I knew battery and fuses were ok. Bought a second hand DCM and once fitted everything as good as new. This Benzworld site is excellent for diagnosing problems. However I wish to debunk 2 opinions that were not true in my case. 1. Someone posted that the way to tell your DCM is faulty is that when you turn on your lights the buttons on DCM do not light up. Mine did but clearly was faulty so not a good indicator of the fault. 2.There are 2 types of DCM. One has seating positions 1 2 3 the other has 1 2 E. Someone posted that they are not compatible. They are completely interchangeable as I had the first and swapped for the second successfully. Great relief for cheap and easy fix. Hope you have the same luck.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:41 AM

S430 99
Originally Posted by mrvegas2008

did ya get the door fixed ? I have same problem
Old 07-26-2018, 04:19 PM

S430
Unhappy

Mr Vegas...we are all curious as to whether or not you got this fixed! Can you help us all out, buddy!?
Old 07-27-2018, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by jarhead0311
Mr Vegas...we are all curious as to whether or not you got this fixed! Can you help us all out, buddy!?
it’s the door control module (the power seat switches in the door )