S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

ABC magnetic filter from Germany - status

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
ABC magnetic filter from Germany - status

(This is a cross post from the R230 Forum, and relates to the thread about an article on ABC maintenance)
-----------------------------------------------------------
For about a month, I have been trying to get a response from the German company (Exclusive Automotive) that 'brags' about their excellent maintenance program for the ABC hydraulic system on MB's. A translation of their procedure has been posted on this web site, and several of us found the filter they have developed (for which they charge ~100 Euros) intriguing. I've sent e-mails, a contact of mine in Germany has sent e-mails, and made two telephone calls - both times having a conversation with the company representative who assured him they would promptly answer my e-mail(s). It has been 2 1/2 weeks since his last telephone call, and they have not responded to the last e-mail I sent, which was within about 6 hours of his last telephone call. I'd asked for a price for a dozen filters - an order of well over 1,000 Euros probably.

Well, I'm done with the German company. Other owners on this and other forums have been searching for a similar solution to the one 'they' had developed. IF you search, you'll find at least two filters that should work. One I've chosen to use is the Magnafine filter.

I just did a complete flush of my ABC system last week, installing a new MB in reservoir filter at the completion. I've now installed a Magnafine filter made by Magnafilter (www.magnafilter.com) in line just ahead of the reservoir. I used their 1/2" line filter, cutting about 3 1/2" or so off the OE hose, and using a short piece of that to connect between the filter outlet and the reservoir inlet. VERY simple installation, not quite as elegant as the German one, but probably equally effective. The color of the ABC fluid is not visible with this system, but there may be options for a durable transparent or translucent connecting hose between the filter and the reservoir. ChadisBad is pursuing this, and will probably have a posting after he's determined the best product.

My final cost is well less than $25 for the Magnafine filter (eBay) and two Norma hose clamps. I'm sure the cost for the German filter would have been in the $125-150 range by the time we got it delivered. I'm satisfied that the Mangafine system will protect the ABC system from any magnetic debris that might be present.

Pictures of the installation:

Last edited by kittyandgary; 03-26-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
2009 E350 4M Avantgarde;mistress 2002 S600; wife 2014 C300 4M
Alternative solution

I see your pain about the German company.
I went thru all their German text (I'm fluent), and came to the following conclusion:

- The filtration rate of the MB filter is at 3 micron (not clear whether that is absolute or nominal, but, doesn't matter). It is pretty well the lowest value I have ever seen in any hydraulic system filter, including aerospace.

The main concern appears to be the potential harm from any ferrous "shavings" that make it through the filter.

My bet is that there is a much cheaper way for the same result:

Just like auto-transmissions have a magnet in the pan to capture any shavings, the easiest solution to attach an external magnet to the plastic reservoir - I am thinking here of one of those supermagnets that come in pairs with identification badges used at conferences etc. to attach to your clothing.

I have several of these and will install (glue or tape) one of these,

Whether it will capture anything will take a long time to monitor.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz G550
I wanted the pretty see though magnetic filter also but I am also a bang for the buck guy (hence forth the purchase of the Merc) This is a great alternative to an otherwise expensive accessory. Thanks
Old 04-04-2014, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Can you post a link where to purchase this for $25? Thanks
Old 04-04-2014, 12:29 AM

Mercedes Benz G550
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Even better.... $12.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Similar to Porsches 996/997 with the InterMediate Seal (IMS) failing and destroying an engine and LN Engineering coming up with a $700 solution which EVERYONE buys, somebody should market a specific solution for ALL Mercedes with ABC suspensions...they could make this a $500 retrofit installed and there would be a line out the driveway like In-n-Out.
PL
Old 04-04-2014, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
We don't yet know that this is "the solution" to all abc failures . But for $12 it's well worth trying. Beisenhauer mentioned in this thread that he used a magnetic filter since 17,000 miles and did fluid changes every 10,000 miles but still has a failure at 103,000 miles
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=514311

So is 1/2 inch the size to buy?

With any hydraulic system operating under high pressures and for a number of years, Hoses and valve blocks blow out or seals leak , and that's not due to dirty fluid . It's the nature of hydraulic components - they need routine service . But I will be very interested to see the first one of these cut open after some time on an abc car to see what if anything was captured !

Last edited by tusabes; 04-04-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:33 AM

2003 SL55 AMG
For any who really would prefer the 'original German filter' solution, hold tight, as I've been referred to a source in Germany that makes a similar filter and sells them via the German eBay. I've sent them a message asking if they will sell and ship to the USA. The price is about 17 Euros per filter (<$25 US), including VAT, but not shipping (if they ship direct to the US, the VAT should not be charged). They also list the possibility of buying 10 of them in one purchase at a small discount.

Hang tight

Last edited by kittyandgary; 04-04-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Awesome , thanks for your work on this
Old 04-05-2014, 01:00 PM

CL500 E270cdi 190E-55amg
http://www.db-shop24.de/Kraftstoff-F...wdb-shop24de_1
Old 04-05-2014, 04:32 PM

2003 SL55 AMG
Hako,

Yes - that is the web site for the alternative filter. It is slightly different, and may need slight modification for long term durability. I'm investigating that aspect. The biggest difference seems to be that the Exclusive Automotive filter has metal (steel) rings around the two pieces that the small bolts tighten against. This one does not have those, and there have been some instances in Europe where they have leaked when pressure (diesel fuel) has caused a crack in the plastic where they are held together.

Anyone here have the ability to make a pair of the rings to fit the filter for reinforcement in the joining area????