Delay of revs when revving...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Delay of revs when revving...

Hi all,

after owning many Jags I decided to mature a little and go classy and buy my first Merc. This one is an S500 from 2000 (W220) and seemed great at first. However it has quickly developed a problem for which I would appreciate an experienced member's advice if anyone would be so kind!

Quite simply, let's say the car is idling in neutral (or park). I put my foot down and you can hear a big 'suck' of air, but a HUGE (OK, second or two) delay before the car actually revs.

If I'm driving, same thing. Put foot down, delay, then massive power all the way.

If I rev slowly, no problem.

Reading the stickies and searching others posts here, I'm thinking MAF. I disconnected it as a 'diagnostic step' and the problem seemed to improve - but only slightly, i.e. there's still a delay before it wants to rev properly, but this is reduced down to maybe half a second.

By the way, when it kicks in AFTER the delay (when driving in gear) it is like a rocket, so I can't imagine it being a misfire as such or a cylinder problem; it also idles fine so I don't think a coil or a plug has gone...

It's almost as if putting my foot down too quickly is pulling too much air in and not enough fuel - or of course the other way round, I'm not exactly an expert on how the engine works!

I've ordered a new MAF to try, but just in case does anyone else have any other suggestions? Does this sound familiar as a MAF problem or another issue?

I hope someone can offer advice, thank you all in advance.

Cheers

Joe
Old 04-04-2014, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 s500
I'm guessing the foot throttle has worn out.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Having the diagnostic codes pulled (and cleared) would be the most logical first step. The car will usually tell you exactly what is wrong.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 s500
wallyp: When I lost mine, I don't remember a code popping up. Does it?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
I don't know for certain - but the diagnostic system stores and shows many more codes than ever show on the dash display...

The level of detail is astonishing. Just as an unrelated example - if the windshield wipers happen to stop in the middle of a sweep for some reason, the car will store a trouble code telling you that it happened.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Hi all,

thank you for your help above, very much appreciated.

As suggested (and as I should have done in the first place) I read the codes, and surprise surprise P0100 was showing for the MAF sensor. I ordered one online, it came today, I replaced it and the car is now running beautifully (touch wood).

I'm glad it wasn't the throttle assembly, as that looked a great deal harder to get hold of at a sensible price than the MAF sensor!

There's a few other little issues I'd love to fix (soft closing doors don't work but trunk does, keyless ignition button doesn't work) so I will be reading plenty of related posts to try and figure these out...

Once again, thanks!

Joe