S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Experience with mechanic and airmatic. Advise from the Pro's needed

Old 04-06-2014, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes s320 (w220)
Experience with mechanic and airmatic. Advise from the Pro's needed

To all,

My S class was not sitting proper and noticed that the front had dropped. Got the airmatic visit workshop message.

Took the vehicle to the garage and he inspected the struts and the compressors and come back to me informing me the air suspension valve is the part needed and that everything else was fine. A hugh sigh of relief.

The mechanic temporarily allowed me to drive the vehicle by having the front raised.

I immediately noticed that dashboard buttons were not working (hazards etc.)
I notified the mechanic and he said it may due to disconnecting the suspension valve and should be okay.

Now he has informed me that some upper control modulator part is needed. What is the part. He referred to it as some SAN control modulator. I cannot seem to find a part as this.

Do you guys have any idea of this part. And also how long is the process to change the suspension valve.

I have already paid £175 for just having everything checked.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
"The mechanic temporarily allowed me to drive the vehicle by having the front raised."

That makes no sense to me.

The compressor develops much more pressure than is needed to hold the struts at the proper ride height. The pressure in the struts is continuously controlled by the computer. This is done by controlling each of a series of valves - there is no one air suspension valve.

I can't think of any way to manually control pumping up the front struts so that they would then stay at the proper ride height.

That cost is three or four times what it costs here for just diagnosis and a few computer manipulations - if that is what he did.

I haven't changed a valve, but I would expect it to take me (a semi-skilled mechanic) not less than an hour, not more than two hours to do so.

Hopefully, someone who has more experience with the valve block will chime in...
Old 04-06-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes s320 (w220)
I do not know how it was done but the front was raised. Obviously this then dropped after 2 days. It is still at the mechanics. He is awaiting this part I have no idea about.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
you can raise the suspension manually and cap it off. the place I use to hang out at would do this all the time.