S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Can't Shift to Park, Key Won't Shut Engine Off, Etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 300CD, 1993 300CE Cabriolet, 2003 S430
Can't Shift to Park, Key Won't Shut Engine Off, Etc.

Last fall I botched a repair to my 2003 S430 shifter box, and wound up stuck in either N or a forward gear -- that is, the stick would not go to either R or P. As a result, the key would not turn to shut off the engine either so I was faced with it idling on and on. So I called the Mercedes toll-free helpline and got someone to tell me how to shut it off manually. They had me remove the panel behind just below the right rear passenger seat, and press or hold something in a certain way until the engine died.

I have been dealing with electrical issues ever since I botched the shifter box job. I had an indy shop install a new shifter box, but problems persist. I just had the dealership do a diagnosis of everything (they kept it nearly 4 weeks while I've driven a loaner C), and I just got the word today. One of the "key" problems ID'd is a bad rear SAM. It looks like that might be the same thing I accessed to kill the engine last fall. Dealer says the bad part is "032-545-84-32 Transponder."

I am wondering, first, whether this is the same part I likely was told to manipulate to kill the engine last fall. Second, if it is the same part, I wonder whether using the kill technique might have damaged it or something else, or whether the kill technique might have caused it malfunction until something is reset. If so, I would, of course, appreciate any advice as to how to reset it or repair it in lieu of replacing it. By the way, dealer would charge, apparently, about 7 hours labor, plus nearly $495 for the new part, so the dealer's repair charge totals about $1,350. Thank you.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 S500 base
The SAM is actually under the fuse carrier and not readily accessible without taking the seat cushion out.

The only fuse in that box that would stop the motor is 52, the fuse to the fuel pump relay, which is the second relay on the bottom ( counting from the side nearest the door ).
All other fuses are to non engine related items, parktronic, rear A/C, cell phone, tele-aid and the like.

Having said that, did pulling the fuse or relay kill the SAM ? I cannot say but perhaps some of the geniuses here on the forum can.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 300CD, 1993 300CE Cabriolet, 2003 S430
Originally Posted by fxdeebee
Having said that, did pulling the fuse or relay kill the SAM ? I cannot say. . .

That is the essence of my question, but I was having electrical anomalies before I did the manual engine kill. From what you describe, I was mistaken, to begin with, to think I did the engine kill via the SAM, since I apparently didn't access it, i.e., did not remove the seat cushion. All I did was remove the vertical cover below the right rear passenger seat, reach in and pull or hold (don't recall exactly) something for a couple minutes 'til the engine died.

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by opt3; 04-08-2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Syntax and diction