S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

A/C vent driver side

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S500 W220
A/C vent driver side

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and not really good with computers so I hope I don't get anyone mad with asking without searching for a post like this.

I'm driving a 2001 W220 S500.
I'm trying to change the A/C vent on the driver side (the one right above the switch for the headlights). Can anyone please tell me how to do that? I was trying to find videos on youtube but I had no luck. I hope I don't have to take out the complete dashboard to change that vent.

I'm thankful for any ideas and I apologize again for not using the search function.

Chris

Edit: I spent the last 4 hours scrolling through the pages but I couldn't find anything about it. Did someone ever changed the vent and could please tell me how to do it.
Thank you

Last edited by cwallens; 07-01-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by cwallens
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and not really good with computers so I hope I don't get anyone mad with asking without searching for a post like this.

I'm driving a 2001 W220 S500.
I'm trying to change the A/C vent on the driver side (the one right above the switch for the headlights). Can anyone please tell me how to do that? I was trying to find videos on youtube but I had no luck. I hope I don't have to take out the complete dashboard to change that vent.

I'm thankful for any ideas and I apologize again for not using the search function.

Chris

Edit: I spent the last 4 hours scrolling through the pages but I couldn't find anything about it. Did someone ever changed the vent and could please tell me how to do it.
Thank you
cwallens,

Removal of this vent if not too difficult, and can be done with common hand tools.

The first thing you need to do is remove the wood trim that is located between the headlamp switch and the A/C vent. You will want to use a prying tool that will not scrape up the trim. We have such tools available on our website, and you can get to them by clicking HERE.

next, you will want to remove the molding grille. This is the grille that is directly above the A/C vent, at the bottom of the 'A' pillar. This is removed by pulling up on the grille.

After this is out, you need to remove the side panel, which is the piece of trim located around the corner from the headlamp switch, on the side of the dashboard.

Next, you need to remove the 'A' pillar paneling. Once this is done, you can remove all of the screws that secure the A/C vent. There is one close to where the 'A' pillar meets the dashboard. It should be visible once you removed the molding grille. There is another screw on the side of the dashboard. It should have become visible when you removed the side panel.

The last screw should have become visible when you removed the piece of wood trim from above the headlamp switch. Once you remove these three screws, you will be able to pull the A/C/ vent out from the air duct. After this, disconnect the illumination wiring from the A/C vent, and remove it from the car.

To put the new one in the car, just follow these steps in reverse.

I hope this information helps you replace your air vent, and if there are any parts you need for your S500, be sure to send me a PM and I will help you out.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:48 PM

2001 S500 W220
Thank you ECSTuning, I'm on a road trip right now but as soon as I get back home, I'll try it the way you recommended. I will try and take pictures and upload them here so the next person got some pictures to look at.

Thank you and I highly appreciate your help.

Chris
Old 07-15-2014, 06:05 PM

2001 S500 W220
Ok, so i finished the job and after I found out that I can remove that little plastic piece (top part of the vent), it was really easy.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Thanks ecstuning for the detailed info

We need vendors like you who help members, and I think I will place my orders through your company to show my support
Old 07-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 SLS AMG
Thanks everyone, I'm glad I was able to help out. If there is ever any questions I can answer, or any parts you need help finding, please feel free to post or send a PM!

Be sure to check out our website for a huge selection of aftermarket and genuine Mercedes-Benz parts.