S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2000 s430 from hell.. sputtering and stalling etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 s500
2000 s430 from hell.. sputtering and stalling etc.

im back with issue again.

i been having some irractic idle and sputtering i would go start the car in the morning or evening when i get of work and it would crank and run for a few minutes and cut off.

hmmm, so i start again and it will run, as if it has a cam in it. loping and all. then after a few minutes it will settle, but not today, it was doing it on every turn and almost every few miles. stalling and sometimes dead pedal when i press the gas, but still drivable. so i go get code scanned, for check engine light and stalling issues... code say MAF sensor. i go to Oreilly and purchase a Bosch one, and it was in a white box and i assume it was seal, cause the associate pulled it out of the box. cool, i buy it and go home to fix my baby, and it started right up like no worries, no issues, no check engine light. i let it run for almost 15mins. as i did a walk over the car to check everything, and the car cuts off. WTF!

i restart car, and it runs again for a few mins and shuts off! restart car, now i have check engine light on again and irratic idle and stalling. so i take for a drive around the block,and it drove fine minus the minor stalling and sometimes acting like it wanted to cut off at stop sign. now im smh at this.... take it to my indy mech... codes say MAF sensor again. pulled it off and looked at, we say it look like a used MAF sensor. i go back to oreilly and question them and they say here is your old one cause you initialed it. now im looking crazy cause the car still has MAF sensor error. i asked the associates was the Bosch a reman or a new. he said reman.

I waited for a replacement to come in to Oreilly, after *****ing about it for two days, so weeks later another ones comes in, cause they said was out of stock at the time. ok. i take it back to Indy shop, and they call me back and say, we have MAf readings, but the car is still sputtering and stalling. they tell me i may need to take it to stealership for help now. What do i do now.

Oh yea, i even got crank sensors from advance and oreilly, that i tried as well, that i sent over with my car. maybe its just me or maybe its the car. i have yet to experience anything quite like this with a car. and to say this, about my benz, i drove it every day, and it showed no signs of this day of hell. lol.

so my question is, do i buy OEM or could it just been a faulty bosch or will i be able to use a A1 cardone, and does a remanufacturing one work.

email me bigwhipz@gmail.com

THINGS i have done i already
cleaned EGR pipe and valve
did vacuum test myself
indy shop did vacuum test as well
use techtron fuel cleaner every other month
and PRAYED
Old 07-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
You need to get the active code to clear first before installing any more parts. One problem at a time. Do a search on this forum as well as Benzworld for help. Look in Benzworld's encyclopedia sticky at top of the main page for help also, (moderator skylaw does a wonderful job of keeping it updated).

Good Luck, Bob

(You probably should invest in an OBD11 reader of your own to read and clear codes. They are somewhat limited but invaluable at the beginning of troubleshooting.)

Last edited by mercy-me; 07-18-2014 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Add note
Old 07-19-2014, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 s500
i used a friends of mines scanner, and he initially said MAF, but my car was running find with the CEL. he unplugged it and plugged it back up, clear code, and cel. drove down the road and stumped it and car sputtered, so i was like what da hell. it was doing like every so often, and thats when i invested in a MAF sensor. I bought it from Orielly, and everything was normal, till 15min later, and car start huffing and puffing like it was a old school chevy with a cam. lol. then i took it back to my friend to rescan, and clear code, and same issue, that when i got a replacement from Oreilly. and as i posted previous those what happen next, indy shop. they checked and said MAF has no reading, and that when i got another MAF from Oreilly, which was warranty replaced. didnt want my $200 go down the drain. Indy shop installed and said MAF reading are back, but stumble and sputter is still there.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:59 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
Have you tried Crankshaft Position Sensor

Originally Posted by ga294eny
i used a friends of mines scanner, and he initially said MAF, but my car was running find with the CEL. he unplugged it and plugged it back up, clear code, and cel. drove down the road and stumped it and car sputtered, so i was like what da hell. it was doing like every so often, and thats when i invested in a MAF sensor. I bought it from Orielly, and everything was normal, till 15min later, and car start huffing and puffing like it was a old school chevy with a cam. lol. then i took it back to my friend to rescan, and clear code, and same issue, that when i got a replacement from Oreilly. and as i posted previous those what happen next, indy shop. they checked and said MAF has no reading, and that when i got another MAF from Oreilly, which was warranty replaced. didnt want my $200 go down the drain. Indy shop installed and said MAF reading are back, but stumble and sputter is still there.
This isn't exactly the symptom for CPS, but I was having stalling issues. The car would run fine, then sputter and stop. Leave it for a few minutes, would restart and then the cycle would begin again. I replaced the CPS and it's been fine since. I was getting a CPS code as well though, not a MAF code.

Last edited by mcguirja; 07-19-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Previously I had a similar problem. My codes said the MAF sensor so I tried using some of the CRC MAF Cleaner and it worked for a while and eventually the check engine light came back on. After a couple of attempts at that I bought what I thought was a new Bosch MAF. Turns out it was a remanufactured sensor even though I was told it was new. Replaced that one and the stalling out at stop signs and traffic lights went away and so did the check engine light.

However, I still had some slight sputtering when I was at a traffic light. Being that my car had about 100k miles on it I decided to change the wires and plugs since it had never been done. Problem solved.

Good luck.