S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

IC not saving settings (Instrument Cluster settings wont save)

Old 07-24-2014, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
IC not saving settings (Instrument Cluster settings wont save)

I recently purchased a W220 '00. I noticed that my clock keeps resetting back to a specific time. Then I tried to set other settings, like mph/kph, headlamp constant, folding mirrors. etc. And so far, the clock time can be set but it always restarts at the time I set it to. The other settings work when I set them. But none of the other settings save after the car is turned off, they always reset when I get back in the car. I have tried resetting them all (pressing R for 3 seconds) and starting over as well as pressing R after each change but nothing. I searched the boards and have not had any luck with finding someone with this issue.

My speculation is there is no constant power remaining when the vehicle is off.

All help is appreciated.

Incidentally, the vehicle also has a couple issues but I do not know if they're related. I will post in case they give clues or are related:
1)Driver door soft close only works when car is on. Will not soft close when off.
2)Driver door infrared does not engage easy close windows and roof (but passenger works fine)
2b)Driver window does not close when easy close is engaged via infrared on passenger side
3)Locking and unlocking the vehicle there are no lights illuminated on left side. Most of the lights that should illuminate work in other modes like headlights and taillights (not sure about mirror lamp and side marker as I do not know how else to turn them on and test)
4) Side parking lamps do not turn on
5)Check engine light came on. Here is OBD2 read out:

Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Vehicle VIN: Not present
Vehicle Manufacturer: Unknown
Vehicle Calibration ID: Not present

Current Fault Log
------------------
P0170: Fuel Trim (Bank 1)
P0500: Vehicle Speed Sensor
P0173: Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 2)

Pending Fault Log
------------------
P0700: Transmission Control System (MIL Request)
P1747: [BMW] CAN Bus Monitoring
[Ford] Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid - Short circuit
[Mazda] Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid Circuit
[Seat/Audi/Volkswagen] Transm.Contr.Unit Relay Open/Short to Ground

P0720: Output Speed Sensor Circuit

Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
ECU reports no other fault codes logged

End of report.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:36 AM

S500
Can anyone assist?

Is there anybody out there?
Old 07-30-2014, 02:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
You may have a failing battery. These cars operate really well with a new battery and all sorts of weird things happen when the battery is below par. If its old I would replace it anyway.
If the memory settings in the Cluster are not saving after this, then I would have the car tested with STAR diagnostics. For most cluster information in the display area, the cluster just does whats its told. I suspect those values you list that wont save are stored in a module. I would not rule out the cluster just yet. Clusters are very easy to change out if you can borrow someone else's.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:09 PM

S500
I will troubleshoot the battery

Thanks! I will start with the battery. Any idea what type of tolerance s I can check to know? Or maybe a junction or circuit that should be reading something specific I can check for to see that it is?

I'm also trying to get a good c3 multiplexer if you know where to get a good one. Then I can use a laptop I have that has Star on it already.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Sounds like a bad module or wiring rather than a weak battery , but I agree a weak battery causes all kinds of weird errors

The battery may test good but still be too weak for a w220 they are very sensitive , if its old just change it
Old 07-30-2014, 11:28 PM

S500
Thanks tusabes. Battery looks fairly new. Going to try to see what I can find out on its last change. Given some of the other issues I'm experiencing, a bad mod or wiring is still suspect too. The SDS is really going to help. Ill post back my findings.