S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Turn signal light issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 04:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
Turn signal light issues

I have a strange issue with my front turning indicator, just today when I went to the store I received a front left turning bulb failure indicator. The turning signal audible clicks increased in speed, just like a bulb is out or failed. So I assumed the lamp was broken. I also, coincidentally, had the standing or city light bulb failure right after the turning indicator problem.

When I got home, I noticed 2 things the left front city bulb was burned out (good) and I had a replacement. The second was the fact that the front turning indicator was stuck "on" even with the engine off.

Also, after replacing the city light bulb, I no longer received any bulb broken error messages. But the front left indicator still stayed on.

Here is what I tried:

a. Disconnected the headlight wiring harness, the bulb illumination stopped when unplugged, but goes back on when plugged back in.

b. Disconnected battery for 15 minutes - no change and had to reset the windows.

c. I checked the voltage of the turning light pin on the headlight harness, it always is at 12v, I doubled check the same connector on the other headlight and there is not a constant 12v at the same pin.

For now, I unscrewed the turning bulb holder about a 1/4 turn so the light does not stay on. But the flasher noise increases and I get bulb failure message.

Sorry for the long message...

Also, all other rear and mirror turning indicators work as expected. Just the front turning bulb on the driver's side stays on continuously.

Hopefully I covered everything. Can anyone please help
Old 07-26-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
I had the same issue but rear left

I cleaned the contacts and it has been fine ever since. Although it didn't appear there was any moisture, there just didn't seem to be the right contact between the bulb and the harness. I fixed this about a month ago and haven't had it recur since.

James
Old 07-26-2014, 11:19 AM

W204 C300 2010
Did your rear bulb stay on continuously?

I swapped the left/right twist out bulb sockets and the left side still stays on.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 489 Likes on 433 Posts
Mercedes
Is your headlight switch turned all the way to the left ? That Keeps a side blinker lit up , its a feature for parking in narrow European streets . Make sure headlights are off and switch is straight up and down
Old 07-27-2014, 02:52 PM

W204 C300 2010
Originally Posted by tusabes
Is your headlight switch turned all the way to the left ? That Keeps a side blinker lit up , its a feature for parking in narrow European streets . Make sure headlights are off and switch is straight up and down
Thanks! Good point... On my car, 2006 S430, the left/right standing headlight switch positions light up in the front the "standing light" (bulb in the hi-beam reflector) and the lower rear taillight bulb. The turn indicator bulb does not light up.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:56 PM

W204 C300 2010
FIXED: Bad SAM

Ultimately my turn indicator, left side, headlight bulb staying constant "on" turned out to be a bad SAM. Bought a used one on Ebay removed and replaced fixing the issues.