S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Major Electrical Issues With 2003 S600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
Major Electrical Issues With 2003 S600

Hello everyone, I just got a 2003 S600 two months ago and it has been having some major electrical issues throughout. I joined the forums to see if anyone can help me out on this problem and guide me through on what I should do.

When I first got the car, all the soft-close doors were working fine. Then during that week, the driver's soft-close door stopped working. Then the day after that, another soft-close door stopped working. Then another. And then they all broke within a week. Shortly after all the soft-close doors stopped working, the sunroof stopped working as well. It won't open, slide, or anything. I thought these were just common malfunctions, until my driver's seat stopped working all of a sudden last week. I cannot move the seat at all using the controls and the seat is stuck in a very uncomfortable position. That gave me an idea that there is something seriously wrong with the electrical harness in the car.

I was looking around if anyone else was having these issues and how I can fix it, and I had no luck. Just yesterday, my power lift trunk broke too, it's just stuck shut unless I unlock it manually. That was the point where it went too far, so I am asking the forums for help now. I have a feeling that everything regarding electricity will break on this car. I can barely even drive it now that the driver's seat is stuck in a really bad position.

Can someone please tell me what's going and what should I do about it? Thank you.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
There could be a number of issues but first start with a brand new battery and do all the electronic resets found in the sticky thread

If that doesnt work, your car may have suffered water damage which is progressing to damage all the electrical systems , there was a problem with these cars where water would enter through the airbox at the passenger side of the engine compartment , right under the windshield , due to a clogged reed valve

then the water would flow from there into the passenger side floor where the electrical systems would get damaged

if you did suffer water Damage and have comprehensive car insurance , they will cover it

Last edited by tusabes; 08-13-2014 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:22 PM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by tusabes
There could be a number of issues but first start with a brand new battery and do all the electronic resets found in the sticky thread

If that doesnt work, your car may have suffered water damage which is progressing to damage all the electrical systems , there was a problem with these cars where water would enter through the airbox at the passenger side of the engine compartment , right under the windshield , due to a clogged reed valve

then the water would flow from there into the passenger side floor where the electrical systems would get damaged

if you did suffer water Damage and have comprehensive car insurance , they will cover it
I don't recall the car being damaged by water in any way, but the car DID have 6 previous owners, and the soft close doors stopped working basically within a week when I got it. The previous owner probably DID get water in there somehow, and decided to sell it without letting anyone know.

I also forgot to add that the keyless go stopped working. So did the key itself. So now I have to manually lock and unlock the doors with the old fashion key. And yes, the keys are working fine themselves, it's just that the car won't read it anymore for whatever reason.

I think I should have a professional look at what's happening to my car.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
battery
Old 08-13-2014, 06:08 PM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by vmystikilv
battery
I just decided to take a look at all the service receipts done by the previous owner. He has replaced the battery twice in the same year. Both were brand-new. Maybe he was getting the same problems that I was. And if I replace this battery, the third time this year, everything might start working again. But only for a short amount of time, judging by how often this battery needs replacing. Thanks, I'll definitely have a look at this.

EDIT: Looking at other service receipts by the previous owner, it looks like I have an ECU upgraded engine and a custom exhaust..... no wonder that thing is freakin' loud.

Last edited by AlexMercedes; 08-13-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Go to a place with a good battery warranty like sears. Even AAA has a mobile battery service

They will replace it free if it dies in the first few years
Old 08-17-2014, 02:03 AM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by tusabes
Go to a place with a good battery warranty like sears. Even AAA has a mobile battery service

They will replace it free if it dies in the first few years
Thanks! I'll try replacing the battery and see how that goes.

Also, the car does have an aftermarket Navigation/Radio and amplifier system. I really don't like these, I rather stick with all original parts. It also messed up the sound system in some way, I keep hearing this constant loud buzzing noise on the driver's side speaker of the car because of the amplifier, and its beyond annoying. Is there any way I can just disable that crap temporarily? I will soon be getting the original COMAND system back into the car.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
The comand system used fiber optic wiring , if they modified anything it's doubtful a comand will ever work again. You can't just plug it back in unless all the wiring is factory original and uncut