2004 S600 Key not recognized

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S600
2004 S600 Key not recognized

Anybody out there with a solution??

I have a Catch 22 situation with my local MB dealer. My 2004 S600 with a Lorinser body kit was parked thru' the winter and the battery died down. Recharged the battery but then got the message "key not recognized". Checked key fob batteries and they are fine. The airmatic suspension has dropped and the body is sitting on the wheels. When I called my local MB dealer, he wants me to get the car towed in before they can reset the key. MB Roadside assistance tow companies will not tocuh the car since the vehicle is resting on the wheels and if they drag it it may damage the fenders. They asked if there is an airmatic override which would ligt the vehicle sufficinetly for them to get in on to a flatbed. The MB dealer says NO. The towers will not tow it and MB will not do anything unless it is at their service center. So my car is dead in my garage and stuck there.

SEEMS STRANGE THAT SUCH AN EXPENSIVE AND TOP OF THE LINE CAR HAS NO SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM.

Thanks a ton for any suggestion that will get this problem solved !!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Your car does not have airmatic

It has abc which is a hydraulic suspension , not an air suspension

Upon starting the car it should come up to proper height.

Have mb roadside come out to the vehicle, to try to get it started in its current location .

If it must be towed, There is a towing product called GoJacks that slip under each wheel and lift the car up. If the towing company puts the car on go jacks then they can safely roll it onto a flatbed. Your wheels will not need to roll, the gojacks act as dollies and have their own little wheels. Then they remove the GoJacks Once its on the flatbed. Most good tow companies will have go jacks , but you need to be sure they bring them

Auto reposessors use these to move cars locked in park without damage

Last edited by tusabes; 08-28-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:51 PM

2004 S600
Thanks, Tsusabes.

I am in Calgary, Canada and MB roadside assistance do not come to get the vehicle. They sub-contract to local towing companies.

And the local MB dealer will not send a technician out to the vehicle with a portable diagnostics tool or something to reprogram the keys.

I will check with local tow companies on the go-jacks.

Since I have power ... is there any way to raise the suspension ... override the ABC without the key? Since the key is not recognized, it will not turn in the ignition.

Thanks again for your prompt response.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
The car must be started for the abc hydraulic pump to spin, and pump up the suspension , there's no manual way to raise it without the car running
Old 08-28-2014, 10:04 PM

2004 S600
Thanks, Tusabes.

Would there any way to reprogram the keys / sychronize the key with some portable device instead of having to take the vehicle to the dealership? That is the real problem which needs to be solved, the inability to tow the vehicle is secondary.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
That I don't know. I dont think the STAR computer some forum members have can do ths

Of course someone at the dealership has the computer to do this , and its portable and can move around the dealership, they are just unwilling to make house calls to bring it to you
Old 08-29-2014, 01:21 AM

2004 S600
Yep ... thanks for the info. You are right ... they just do not want to take the trouble to mak a house call and solve the problem.

I can try and beat up on them and see what comes of it. Thanks again ...
Old 08-29-2014, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
I had a similar problem a few years ago where my car with the ABC suspension lowered itself onto the wheels. Needless to say I came out to my garage and there was a pool of fluid. I could not get the car to raise. However, I did call a towing company, explained my situation and they were there in about 10 minutes with the necessary equipment to put the car on the flatbed. Towed it to Mercedes and the problem was fixed. Turned out to be by ABC pump.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
2005 S600 2005 SL600
I just had my S600 towed. MB Roadside assistance set up the tow. Mercedes covers the cost if the vehicle is being towed to the dealer for service. Explain your situation to MB Roadside assistance and let them set it up. Have the dealer reprogram the key in their shop.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:40 AM

2004 S600
Thanks, guys ... looks like the only solution is to get it towed to the dealership. Unfortuately MB roadside assistance here is as useful as t*ts on a bull. Have to figure this one myself and get some speciality towing company to do this.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:05 PM

'02 S55KL AMG
Hey dude

sorry to hear that youre having a hard time with your Lorinser. I had the same issue when the keyless go card battery died on mine, took my dads audi and had the battery replaced, go back to the driveway to start the car and no luck!!

Had it towed by MB roadside back to the dealers who wouldnt admit they messed up but basically reprogrammed the key and it was all good again...!! Hope you get it sorted dude, battle your way through and hopefully it shouldnt cost you a penny
Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 PM

2004 S600
Thanks, Harpreet ... will try to get it to the MB dealership somehow ... go-jaks maybe.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:17 AM

2004 S600
Originally Posted by mkrish07
Thanks, Harpreet ... will try to get it to the MB dealership somehow ... go-jaks maybe.
Finally solved guys ... had to take in to the dealership with a speciality towing company and go-jacks (which do not work well on asphalt). Took a lot of time and cost. Fixed in no time at the dealership. The mechanic said it was a fuse (under the glove box) not making good connection ... fuse was OK. Once electrical continuity was established, keys were reprogrammed and done. Thanks all for your advice.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:22 AM

2004 S600
Originally Posted by mkrish07
Finally solved guys ... had to take in to the dealership with a speciality towing company and go-jacks (which do not work well on asphalt). Took a lot of time and cost. Fixed in no time at the dealership. The mechanic said it was a fuse (under the glove box) not making good connection ... fuse was OK. Once electrical continuity was established, keys were reprogrammed and done. Thanks all for your advice.
PS ... Anyone else having an issue moving the vehicle when the suspension has sat down (airmatic or hydraulic) ... MB has blocks (about 9" to 10" long) that go in the wheel well on top of the struts to keep the suspension raised and keep the wheels free. Got to be careful while moving the vehicle in this state, but is OK to put it on a flatbed using go-jacks or dolly wheels.