S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2000 S500 Airmatic Problem. I've searched and searched.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2000 S500
2000 S500 Airmatic Problem. I've searched and searched.

I hate to start another airmatic thread but I am officially defeated at the moment. I have owned this car for about a year now and have solved most of my problems from this forum and the faq's. First problem I had was the reed valve and wet sam early on but this site eased me right through it.

My airmatic has quit working after sitting for the weekend, actually I'm getting the esp, bas and airmatic warning and have already tried the steering wheel lock to lock reset which did work after sam replacement a year ago but not this time. My car is fast approaching 300k and still acts like it's a year old so I decided to go on and replace the compressor and relay, still won't come on.
It is such a chore to get car jacked up because it's sitting on bump stops but I pull the car up on a brick use the factory jack on the rear and then use my floor jack up front. While I had it up today I checked the level sensors, appeared normal and remove and cleaned the abs sensors on the fronts there have been no recent suspension or brake repairs so my problem is nothing I did.

I haven't had to put a car in the shop in at least 20 years and deal mainly with audi/vw so I know my way around German cars pretty good.
Please let me know what steps I should take to further test related systems because I am scared to have the car towed with it that low to the ground.

Also I went to the car the other day and my battery was dead, after airmatic problem showed up which has never happened before and the car has sat for weeks at a time with no battery problems in the past. I have checked the voltage on the hvac screen and was getting 13.6 volts at idle. I hope you guys can help because I love my car, it has all the factory sport option amg body kit and wheels, My other car is a 1970 Plymouth sport fury which is totally not practical as a daily.
The following users liked this post:
Odeeze (12-18-2022)
Old 10-11-2014, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 Mercedes Benz S500
Did you figure out what was wrong?