S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Transmission shift issue wont go away

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 S430 W220
Question Transmission shift issue wont go away

Hi guys, Im new to the forum but I've browsed on here for fixes for my S430 4matic and previous customers' cars for a good while. I couldn't find an exact answer to my problem so I thought I'd post. So my tranny has had issues for about 6 months and I have no clue what to do with it next. It started leaking from the infamous plastic connector, which I quickly realized, so I replaced it, the filter, and the oil that was in the pan. That fixed the problem for a while but after a month or two, it started leaking again. I went back in and replaced the same connector although it was not evident the first replacement was faulty. Now, I don't have a huge leak, only a small one but it still shifts horribly. Where else could it be leaking?? Could the rough shift be due to fluid in the TCM? The only other related topic I'm unsure about is the conductor plate. If anyone could let me know where common leak spots are on it, Id appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2014, 06:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 S430 4Matic
Sounds like you have a problem with the conductor plate. I have seen threads where the connector was replaced but kept leaking. There was a crack in the conductor plate which contains the housing for the connector. Additionally the conductor plate supplies the power to the devices in your tranny which would explain shifting problems. Also, check the wiring harness leading into the TCM to see if any fluid got into the electronics.

Last edited by lganski; 10-23-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Open the right SAM at the base of the windshield under the hood. Carefully inspect each of the wire harnesses for any traces of ATF. If there are traces of fluid on any of the wire harnesses, follow the oily harness down into the box to the TCM.

Remove the TCM and open the box. Clean all traces of ATF from the board and box using a solvent such as spray brake cleaner.

Check the TCM for any loose parts or visible damage.

Reinstall and test the car.