Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Unhappy My trunk light will not come

Hello I'm new here
I have a 2001 Mercedes-Benz S500
Would anyone know why my trunk light will not come on It has no power to the two lights in the trunk.
I used a test light to check them and there is no power coming to the light.
Could this be because of a bad fuse?

I also check the manual for the fuse or fuse box.
The manual says there are three fuse boxes but yet it does not say which one is for the trunk light.

1. Would anyone know the answer to this question
where is that fuse located?

2. Would anyone know where I could get a clear diagram of each fuse box long with details for each fuse?

I have searched all over the net for answers and came up empty

Thank you for you'r time
Happy Thanksgiving

Last edited by DJVinnie1970; 11-27-2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Update information regarding my problem
Old 11-27-2014, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Welcome!

First: When asking for help, it is always helpful (more like "required") that you give the complete info on your car - there are numerous changes from year-to-year and model-to-model. You did give us your location, which is also necessary.

Second: An excellent source of information is found at the top of the page, where it says "start here". An even better source is the version at the W220 forum at benzworld, since Skylaw (our resident encyclopedia guru/publisher - THANK YOU, Skylaw) is better able to edit and improve that one.

Third - just from seeing other's similar problems, the retracting cord to the trunk lid might be a more likely source for your problem.

But in any case, if you read this entire thread, it should answer any questions that you might have about fuses...
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...use-chart.html

Hope that this improves your Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2014, 06:49 PM

S500
Unhappy I did look in the w220 forms for trunk inside light

Hello sorry if I don' t get everything right I am new at this so please excuse me.
The information you passed on does not relate to my issue however thank you anyway.

I am just trying to find answers to my problem has anyone had this experience with there inside trunk light or how do you find the fuse for your trunk light.

Thank you
Old 11-27-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08 clk63, 06 E55, 05 c55, 14 ml350, 98 pathfinder. Have owned cl55, s55, cls55, c230, cl500, cls500
Sounds like the Trunk lid harness has an open. Very common on 220 models.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by DJVinnie1970
Hello sorry if I don' t get everything right I am new at this so please excuse me.
The information you passed on does not relate to my issue however thank you anyway.

I am just trying to find answers to my problem has anyone had this experience with there inside trunk light or how do you find the fuse for your trunk light.

Thank you
the information he gave you relates directly to your issue- he told you to check the wiring for a break because that is the most common problem , not a fuse
Old 11-28-2014, 05:49 PM

S500
Thumbs up Thank you everyone

Yes I will check the wiring.

Thank you for all you'r support
Old 11-28-2014, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
All of the information that I supplied applied directly to your request.

It is difficult to give meaningful assistance without knowing the model year of the vehicle.

If you had clicked on the link given and then actually read it, the thread contained links to pdf files for various model year fuse charts, which contain the information requested. I looked at each of the fuse charts (since I could not get the information on your model year), and found that for virtually all of the W220 cars, the trunk light has an "Electronic Fuse". This means that there is no standard electrical fuse. Instead, the circuit is monitored and controlled by a small computer. If the circuit is shorted to ground, or pulls too much current, the computer disconnects the circuit and keeps checking until the current draw is within limits. At that point the computer reconnects the circuit.

It is unlikely that your problem is due to a short circuit, and since there is no standard fuse on the circuit, it is not due to a blown fuse.

The most common cause seems to be a broken wire in the retracting wire harness, which is normally found on the right forward corner of the trunk for most years.

Good luck with your problem.