S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Cowl Water Deflector question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S500
Cowl Water Deflector question

The other day while driving in the rain, I went through a huge puddle on the highway doing about 40 mph, and I'm assuming this is what caused the issue I currently have.

So after driving around for a bit after that I noticed what sounded like something dragging, so I pulled over and saw the part (the Cowl Water Deflector, pics attached) hanging from the undercarriage under the front passenger side. It wasn't connected to anything so I unwedged it from the car.

Now I'm no mechanic or anything, so can anyone tell me what this part is for? Will it be an issue for the car if I do some light driving without it put back into place? I have not been driving it other than to move it for parking. Also is this an easy fix or would I have to bring it to the mechanic (it seems like I could just pop it back into place)? Please if anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Cowl Water Deflector question-photo-1.jpg   Cowl Water Deflector question-photo-2.jpg   Cowl Water Deflector question-photo-3.jpg   Cowl Water Deflector question-photo-4.jpg  
Old 12-10-2014, 04:17 PM

2003 S500

Circled in the diagram
Old 12-13-2014, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
It looks like it might plug under the water drain unit. If you open the hood and look on the passenger side close to the windshield you will see a grate with what looks like a grill. That is where the water drains down the side of the car. I believe that tube might plug under that drain.

Here is a picture of the part I am referring to. Always make sure that it is clean of debris such as leaves and other stuff. Otherwise, the water will fill up and start backing up into the car.
Attached Thumbnails Cowl Water Deflector question-water-drain.jpg  

Last edited by ibeforreal; 12-13-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:27 PM

2003 S500
Originally Posted by ibeforreal
It looks like it might plug under the water drain unit. If you open the hood and look on the passenger side close to the windshield you will see a grate with what looks like a grill. That is where the water drains down the side of the car. I believe that tube might plug under that drain.

Here is a picture of the part I am referring to. Always make sure that it is clean of debris such as leaves and other stuff. Otherwise, the water will fill up and start backing up into the car.
Thanks for the input. You're definitely right.