S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Interesting new headlights for the w220

Old 06-26-2015, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220 s500 2003 amg sport package
Originally Posted by AlexMercedes
Did you do the installation yourself? If not, ask the person who installed it for you to try separating the DRL and turn signal lights. Also, mind showing us a picture of your car with the headlights? I haven't really seen these on a car other than the one shown in the listings.
Well, I went to the nearest repair shop available in town and asked the guys there to change the lights as they came already assembled and that seemed to do was to unplug the old lights and plug in new ones. Now there are more issues:
If switch is set to fender lights I can not flash high beam like before overtaking someone. Needless to say I could do it on OEM lights. And also the white tube light is actually very difficult to see if it is on in a sunny day.
I guess I will have to ask an electrician to have a look on them. It is really annoying that supplier couldn't get them set up properly in advance.
Other than that, the look is really fresh and nice, the pics won't describe the actual look. Hopefully will get them fixed next couple of days.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mastas
Well, I went to the nearest repair shop available in town and asked the guys there to change the lights as they came already assembled and that seemed to do was to unplug the old lights and plug in new ones. Now there are more issues:
If switch is set to fender lights I can not flash high beam like before overtaking someone. Needless to say I could do it on OEM lights. And also the white tube light is actually very difficult to see if it is on in a sunny day.
I guess I will have to ask an electrician to have a look on them. It is really annoying that supplier couldn't get them set up properly in advance.
Other than that, the look is really fresh and nice, the pics won't describe the actual look. Hopefully will get them fixed next couple of days.
Those look absolutely amazing. It is truly beautiful, no doubt about it. I think you should have taken it to a better place to do the job, I heard the MB dealership does these type of jobs really well and they enjoy seeing things that refresh the look of their older cars. Have you tried setting the switch to your parking lights only? I would believe that the LED DRL was wired to the place the parking lights would be usually wired. And as for the turn signals always on, that must definitely be a wiring fault because the turn signal lights aren't always on in the factory headlights, so it shouldn't be on in these headlights either unless you actually activate your turn signals.

I suggest you go back to that shop and tell them the issues and hopefully they will fix them. Also, did your car have the OEM HID system or the factory halogens? I've wanted these headlights for a long time now but apparently it's not compatible with my OEM HID system, bummer.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 S430 4matic, 2014 Audi A4
I go back and fourth on the look of these, some days I love them and some days I hate them. I just never want people to think I got the "ebay" headlight special lights.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:13 AM

Those look absolutely amazing. It is truly beautiful, no doubt about it. I think you should have taken it to a better place to do the job, I heard the MB dealership does these type of jobs really well and they enjoy seeing things that refresh the look of their older cars. Have you tried setting the switch to your parking lights only? I would believe that the LED DRL was wired to the place the parking lights would be usually wired. And as for the turn signals always on, that must definitely be a wiring fault because the turn signal lights aren't always on in the factory headlights, so it shouldn't be on in these headlights either unless you actually activate your turn signals.

I suggest you go back to that shop and tell them the issues and hopefully they will fix them. Also, did your car have the OEM HID system or the factory halogens? I've wanted these headlights for a long time now but apparently it's not compatible with my OEM HID system, bummer.
On the parking lights are on only, the orange and white strips are on at tge same time. Also I can't flash high beam. If I switch to low beam, there are 3 lights on: orange, white and low beam and I'm able to flash high beam.

I just don't understand why would supplier sell the headlights in that condition so it needs a repair... Still looking for a good electrician to fix them. All of them don't want to deal with the lights as soon as they hear those are chineese, lol.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:08 AM

S55 AMG
On the parking lights are on only, the orange and white strips are on at tge same time. Also I can't flash high beam. If I switch to low beam, there are 3 lights on: orange, white and low beam and I'm able to flash high beam.

I just don't understand why would supplier sell the headlights in that condition so it needs a repair... Still looking for a good electrician to fix them. All of them don't want to deal with the lights as soon as they hear those are chineese, lol.
It's probably not the lights, it's probably the way your mechanic installed them was incorrect. Was there a manual that came with the headlights? Also, did your car have the factory HID xenon or was it the standard halogens? If your car had the factory HID system, that may be the cause of the high beam issues because the listings say that the headlights aren't compatible with the factory HID system.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:53 AM

Ok guys here is the update:
It was a wiring problem that is why the turn signal lights were always on. An electrician had to completely dissassemble the light to find the cause. As to yhe question about HID, no, I have normal halogen lights.
Electrician could not fix another problem I wrote about before - unable to flash high beam when lights are off/ patking lights on. The thing is high beam is activated by a mechanism that lifts the lens. Since the low beam is off, it just lifts it up but won't turn the lights on. But I can live with that.
A couple of words about the DRL : it actually acts as parking lights. So to turn them on I need to switch to parking lights. And you barely can see them on a sunny day, in fact, you can't see if they are on or off in a day time. So I'll have to buy additional DRLs and install them behind the mesh grill or just use the current ones with low beam.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
It needs to be rewired..

lights look ricer though.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:09 PM

S55 AMG
Ok guys here is the update:
It was a wiring problem that is why the turn signal lights were always on. An electrician had to completely dissassemble the light to find the cause. As to yhe question about HID, no, I have normal halogen lights.
Electrician could not fix another problem I wrote about before - unable to flash high beam when lights are off/ patking lights on. The thing is high beam is activated by a mechanism that lifts the lens. Since the low beam is off, it just lifts it up but won't turn the lights on. But I can live with that.
A couple of words about the DRL : it actually acts as parking lights. So to turn them on I need to switch to parking lights. And you barely can see them on a sunny day, in fact, you can't see if they are on or off in a day time. So I'll have to buy additional DRLs and install them behind the mesh grill or just use the current ones with low beam.
I'm glad the issue was fixed, but are you sure about them being that dim? I've seen other pictures where it was clearly visible at daytime. I've seen somewhere in the listings saying that you can adjust the lights in some way I'm not sure of. Maybe there is some sort of knob in the headlights to adjust the brightness? I don't know for sure. Also, do you mind taking a picture of the headlights with the DRL on in the daytime?
Old 07-20-2015, 05:00 PM

I'm glad the issue was fixed, but are you sure about them being that dim? I've seen other pictures where it was clearly visible at daytime. I've seen somewhere in the listings saying that you can adjust the lights in some way I'm not sure of. Maybe there is some sort of knob in the headlights to adjust the brightness? I don't know for sure. Also, do you mind taking a picture of the headlights with the DRL on in the daytime?
Hey guys, sorry for the delay with answer. The thing about the dimming of the lights to me is because the white led drl are located inside the mat tube, that's why you almost can't see it in a sunny day. As soon as you drive into shaded area you can clearly see it, but don't hope it can serve as a drl in a bright day. As to the pics, I really couldn't see the difference between when it was on or off, so just have a look at the ones I posted previously. And really there is nothing like knobs or something, I've been there when Electrician opened the glass, those are very simple. But still, the look is amazing and even with these cons I think they worth the price and installing.
P.S. If you ever decide to buy these, be sure to spend a couple of more bucks to install a protective film, otherwise the plastic will be scratched very soon. Just after a couple of rides I noticed small scratches on them.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:01 AM

S55 AMG
Hey guys, sorry for the delay with answer. The thing about the dimming of the lights to me is because the white led drl are located inside the mat tube, that's why you almost can't see it in a sunny day. As soon as you drive into shaded area you can clearly see it, but don't hope it can serve as a drl in a bright day. As to the pics, I really couldn't see the difference between when it was on or off, so just have a look at the ones I posted previously. And really there is nothing like knobs or something, I've been there when Electrician opened the glass, those are very simple. But still, the look is amazing and even with these cons I think they worth the price and installing.
P.S. If you ever decide to buy these, be sure to spend a couple of more bucks to install a protective film, otherwise the plastic will be scratched very soon. Just after a couple of rides I noticed small scratches on them.
Yeah I agree that they look amazing and I wouldn't mind having a weak DRL in return for a really cool looking headlight. Sadly, there is a huge problem. They aren't compatible with the factory HID headlights, so either I have to wait for compatible ones to come out (which I highly doubt will) or I have to spend a lot of money to make them compatible with my car.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:37 AM

2000 Mercedes S430
Guys, I found an even better angle of these headlights...

My god, they look beautiful. Too bad they are not compatible with the OEM HID Xenon system. But come on, these are too good to be ignored. There has to be some type of conversion process, like if we can remove the HID system from our current headlights and place them into the casing of these beautiful ones, will that even work? I'm willing to get these headlights and try to get them working with my factory HID Xenon system.
Those headlights are awesome!! I love them. Will they work in the 2000 S430? I have the standard headlamps. No HID.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:10 AM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by mnt0130
Those headlights are awesome!! I love them. Will they work in the 2000 S430? I have the standard headlamps. No HID.
Yeah they should work. I believe it's a straight up plug-and-play for the non HID models so you are in luck. If you wish to do it yourself, here's an installation video made by the company that made these headlights:
Good luck!
Old 09-19-2015, 10:32 AM

2000 S430
I just installed a pair of these headlights but the car is not recognizing them. I'm not getting any power to the lights at all and headlight errors and turning signal errors on the dash. Does anyone know what the problem might be?
Old 09-19-2015, 08:09 PM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by missmary803
I just installed a pair of these headlights but the car is not recognizing them. I'm not getting any power to the lights at all and headlight errors and turning signal errors on the dash. Does anyone know what the problem might be?
Do you have the factory HID xenon system or the halogen system on your car?
Old 09-19-2015, 10:29 PM

2000 S430
I have the halogens. They should be plug and play. Someone told me I may have to have them programmed to the car.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:09 PM

S55 AMG
I have the halogens. They should be plug and play. Someone told me I may have to have them programmed to the car.
You should check your connections, hopefully it's as simple as a loose plug. If you have the halogens they should be just plug and play. I also have these headlights, but I have the factory HID system so mine will require some modification to work.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:40 AM

2000 S430
Checked the connections and they a pressed in firmly, still no power to the lights. I put the old ones back in and they are coming on. Could it be a sensor problem?
Old 09-21-2015, 12:06 AM

S55 AMG
Checked the connections and they a pressed in firmly, still no power to the lights. I put the old ones back in and they are coming on. Could it be a sensor problem?
It also may be a possibility that the headlights you got were defective. Try contacting the people you bought the headlights from about the problems you're having. They might have answers or even hook you up with a new set.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Yes most likely you got a set of defective lights
Old 10-08-2016, 02:02 AM

'00 S500 'Loaded' '02 S430 "Nicely Equipped"
So, is there an epilogue? I have the exact same problem/situation on my halogen '02 S430 with tonight's install.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:54 AM

mercedes w220 s320 cdi
You should check your connections, hopefully it's as simple as a loose plug. If you have the halogens they should be just plug and play. I also have these headlights, but I have the factory HID system so mine will require some modification to work.
hi. Could U let me know what modifications have U done on youts. I have just new headlamps but I have factory hid. So they dont work. Cant find any sollution yet. Can U help me??
Old 06-27-2019, 04:46 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2011 S550 / 2001 S430 - RIP
FYI
Just letting you guys know that I have had these lights since the early 2014. I just replaced them after 4 years due to all the rock hits these things take over time.
I use to run the HID, but that is old news now. The new lights are plug and play and look better than my HID's.(My HID's would always start to change to a yellow color over time. Very annoying! And I would have to rma them) They come in 35W/50W which is a bit bigger. I'm running 4 50W bulbs from DDM Tuning here in California.
If you use the 35W bulb then you can put your factory covers back on for the headlights.
Also high beams work.
All plug and play.
https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Saber-50W-H11-LED-PR
https://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Ca...ro-Fit-LED-Kit
https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Silicone-Dust-Cover

The following users liked this post:
kokoroazumi (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 S430
Thank you for your updated information @johnksss
The following users liked this post:
johnksss (08-14-2019)
Old 07-27-2021, 02:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
w220 s350
[QUOTE = usafguy69; 6259667]不如他們看,他們甚至不與W220的有OEM HID的,只是投影機這在我的知識很少W220的具有兼容[/ QUOTE]。

HID*4
Old 07-27-2021, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Looks great !! Is that a garage in China

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interesting new headlights for the w220