Nexus Tablet integration instead of command

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
s class 320CDi 2002
Nexus Tablet integration instead of command

Hi,

So I searched and could only find a few expensive options (£350 + ) for what I need, Maybe somebody knows of other devices or configurations.

What I will do,

I will remove the original command center and install it in the Passenger foot well (the cable is long enough at the back to allow this) as a temporary solution until I decide fully if I want to go for new amps and speakers, in the meantime this will allow me to use the command center for the sound.

The area in the boot where the multiplay CD player was got flooded somehow and damaged the multiplay, so I have removed that, and have the 2 ends of the optical cables just loose at the moment.

So my question,

Is there a relatively cheap optical interface that I can use in place of the CD player to give me an auxiliary in (or even allow me to plug it onto the head unit at the optical connections (I am assuming the optical loop cables only go to the CD player and back (I have no phone carkit installed)

If the loop has to stay connected to the head unit is there a connector to rejoin the 2 optical ends that used to go to the multiplayer in the boot as I think I have to have a continuous loop.

The optical interface can be either bluetooth (that will allow sound) or 3.5mm socket, or both.

At the moment I have a tape adaptor with a cable that I plug into the nexus (sound not great but adequate at the moment), its a make-do temporary solution until I get some more info and decide the best and most cost effective way to do this.

All info and help, and links to any products will be much appreciated, in th meantime I am still trawling through this site and the web to try get some more info.

Cheers

Kev
Old 02-14-2015, 08:14 AM

s class 320CDi 2002
Just found this thread after doing some more searching, think I will give it a go

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...aux-input.html

But still any other info or suggestions would be great
Old 02-14-2015, 12:32 PM

s class 320CDi 2002
Ok, so I just did the mod to the tape player as above, worked for the most part, but I have to have a tape playing to get the sound to work, not a big deal though, will look into it and see if I can get around that some how.

So that's saved me about £300

Just waiting for my new fascia to arrive so that I can install the Nexus where the the command system is ..

I ordered a black one instead of the wood effect, I think the nexus will look better against it, and I also think the climate controls will look better, dont like the way they look like 3 individual controls against the wood fascia, of course it may look like crap though, so will have to wait and see.

Another reason I went black is because I may get rid of the wood in the rest of the car, not a great wood fan, will check out options, but may go for a brushed titanium effect on all the wood and try give it a more updated look, but I am just thinking about it at the moment, will now more what to do when the nexus is installed.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
I've seen people use black or carbon wrap consoles when they put in a custom radio and it does not look good unless you do all the car wood in black

Instead of putting the comand in the footwell some people just push it a bit behind the console and put the tablet right in front of it

Lanzar and kicker make a bluetooth amplifier that can take the bluetooth signal from the tablet and play music to the speakers and subs you wire to the amp. You'll just need to run wires from the amp to speakers and subs
Old 02-14-2015, 05:05 PM

s class 320CDi 2002
Yea I was thinking to do all the wood, actually a mate of mine works in a body shop and he would do a professional prep and spray job on the wood and fascia if I asked him to, so may look at going down that route rather than the wrap.

Will look into the BT amps you were talking about .. a little short on cash at the moment so will keep it as simple as possible, I thought about pushing the command unit back, but a little concerned about the heat back there, the more room for air to flow the better for the nexus, especially in the summer, I have had my Samsung S3 overheat and keep shutting down in my van when its connected to my appradio when just a little sun gets on it. But may give it a go and see how it performs.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S430, 2014 E350
You are better off with a hardwire aux cable, because those bluetooth amps are really bad. Unless you drop some quality money on a good bluetooth amp, all you will hear is audio distortion when you crank up the volume or bass.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550
Hi what do u think of this nexus setup

Originally Posted by Kev100
Hi,

So I searched and could only find a few expensive options (£350 + ) for what I need, Maybe somebody knows of other devices or configurations.

What I will do,

I will remove the original command center and install it in the Passenger foot well (the cable is long enough at the back to allow this) as a temporary solution until I decide fully if I want to go for new amps and speakers, in the meantime this will allow me to use the command center for the sound.

The area in the boot where the multiplay CD player was got flooded somehow and damaged the multiplay, so I have removed that, and have the 2 ends of the optical cables just loose at the moment.

So my question,

Is there a relatively cheap optical interface that I can use in place of the CD player to give me an auxiliary in (or even allow me to plug it onto the head unit at the optical connections (I am assuming the optical loop cables only go to the CD player and back (I have no phone carkit installed)

If the loop has to stay connected to the head unit is there a connector to rejoin the 2 optical ends that used to go to the multiplayer in the boot as I think I have to have a continuous loop.

The optical interface can be either bluetooth (that will allow sound) or 3.5mm socket, or both.

At the moment I have a tape adaptor with a cable that I plug into the nexus (sound not great but adequate at the moment), its a make-do temporary solution until I get some more info and decide the best and most cost effective way to do this.

All info and help, and links to any products will be much appreciated, in th meantime I am still trawling through this site and the web to try get some more info.

Cheers

Kev

Obviously the shifter isn't a problem while driving. All buttons are easily accessible behind it . No wiring, takes all of 30 seconds to do. And best of all, GOOGLE VOICE COMMANDS and maps. Some may have an issue due to internet. I use my p phones hotspot, but I would buy the 4g nexus tab in a heart beat. I can't begin to explain how much this has changed my infotainment in the car. Bluetooth connects fine. I was watching Netflix in the car earlier. Just awesome

Last edited by LTCommander; 02-15-2015 at 08:11 AM. Reason: All I used was an origami type.case and folded it into the ashtray, does not move at all except up when I take it out.e
Old 02-15-2015, 12:49 PM

s class 320CDi 2002
Yes there are definite benefits to having a tablet in the car, I have the old command system which I hate the look of, it looks really dated to me, one of the reasons I want to install a nexus as a fixed install. I have tried mounting the nexus as you have but I like to dabble with things and to get it installed as a fixed unit is quite a nice challenge.

I have an appradio 3 in my van that mirrors my phone, but there are some niggling problems with that, so instaed of getting another appradio decided to go for the nexus install.

Think I will first try push the command unit back into the space and install the nexus in front of it as was suggested in a couple posts back.

One problem was that if the nexus is fixed in the car how to get to the on/off button if the battery dies on the nexus, I have just resolved this with a mod that will turn the nexus on from its shut down state once power is seen at the charging port (which will obviously be when the ignition is switched on), this stops the need to mod the nexus with an external switch that has to be mounted somewhere on the dash.

I am just in the process of setting up the nexus for car use with various automation's and apps/widgets, and trying to find the best kernal that will help with reserving power and potting the nexus in deep sleep when the ignition is off.

I have an unlimited data plan on my phone so will use that as a hotspot that the nexus will use.

And will install tablet talk which will allow me to use the nexus as a phone for voice calls and sms's through my phone.

All my bits and pieces are arriving sometime next week so should be quite a simple job to mount the nexus when I have the fascia, and will post some pics when its done.

I am thinking to use these bluetooth buttons as controls for the nexus, (not the camera one though) I would like to integrate them into the dash somehow so they look part of the car, but until I get them I am not sure how I will mount them

Old 02-15-2015, 12:53 PM

s class 320CDi 2002
I have been testing the 3.5mm aux in mod to the tape player and all is working, and sound is good, so will stick with this option.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550
wow! sounds like quite a project!

Your approach is definitely ideal. Great idea about just pushing old unit back and installing the tablet in front. Any other car-apps for tablets?
Originally Posted by Kev100
Yes there are definite benefits to having a tablet in the car, I have the old command system which I hate the look of, it looks really dated to me, one of the reasons I want to install a nexus as a fixed install. I have tried mounting the nexus as you have but I like to dabble with things and to get it installed as a fixed unit is quite a nice challenge.

I have an appradio 3 in my van that mirrors my phone, but there are some niggling problems with that, so instaed of getting another appradio decided to go for the nexus install.

Think I will first try push the command unit back into the space and install the nexus in front of it as was suggested in a couple posts back.

One problem was that if the nexus is fixed in the car how to get to the on/off button if the battery dies on the nexus, I have just resolved this with a mod that will turn the nexus on from its shut down state once power is seen at the charging port (which will obviously be when the ignition is switched on), this stops the need to mod the nexus with an external switch that has to be mounted somewhere on the dash.

I am just in the process of setting up the nexus for car use with various automation's and apps/widgets, and trying to find the best kernal that will help with reserving power and potting the nexus in deep sleep when the ignition is off.

I have an unlimited data plan on my phone so will use that as a hotspot that the nexus will use.

And will install tablet talk which will allow me to use the nexus as a phone for voice calls and sms's through my phone.

All my bits and pieces are arriving sometime next week so should be quite a simple job to mount the nexus when I have the fascia, and will post some pics when its done.

I am thinking to use these bluetooth buttons as controls for the nexus, (not the camera one though) I would like to integrate them into the dash somehow so they look part of the car, but until I get them I am not sure how I will mount them

Old 02-16-2015, 03:53 AM

s class 320CDi 2002
A few,
Overlays is good, it means you can overlay widgets on the screen that will show when any app is on, for example the playing music widget, so thats permanently overlayed on the screen for quick access

I use car home ultra, but also will try out car dashdroid, car dashdroid links in nicely to the phone aspect of the nexus with tablet talk, but has far less options and configurations than car home Ultra, so will give it a go and see.

There is car widget pro which I am liking at the moment. as it adds the feel of car home ultra to the tablet without moving away from the usual tablet screens

I have deep sleep battery saver which I can configure to put the tablet into a deep sleep when the ignition is off to help save the battery.

One of the best music apps for using in the car is car tunes, you control it by swiping so its quite good because once you learn the swipes you dont really have to take your eyes off the road, has voice control also to choose your music.

Speed cameras by sygic is one I love because it will tell you of any speed traps, but the feature I bought it for was that it will tell me the speed of the road I am on, which is quite handy when signs are not so easily identifiable. But its not available for a tablet yet, so you have to install from somewhere like aptoide

I will use several automation apps, tasker (dont like too much) automateit pro ( I use alot already), trigger and possibly macrodroid.

Wazer of course for satnav, and radar droid as another speed trap detector

I will add more as I think about them,
Old 02-19-2015, 06:37 PM

s class 320CDi 2002
Just an update and some photo's, mostly installed, just a few bugs to iron out and settings to change, but all is working pretty well.

I decided to go for the black fascia because I am not a big fan of wood, and may try to spray paint the remainder of the wood to mach, but to be honest, in reality it actually looks quite good with just the black facia, and I prefer how the climate control controls look against the black background. I could just do with getting the ashtray cover in black (not sure they do them in black) .. or get it sprayed.

If anybody is interested I can do a complete new post on the installation.

Last edited by Kev100; 02-19-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S500 4Matic (SOLD) + 2004 S55 (SOLD) 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
Great work. I for one would be very interested in a complete installation post. On this side of the pond nothing I've seen comes close to this. Did you manage to get the interface between the steering wheel and the Nexus working satisfactorily?
Old 02-20-2015, 10:07 AM

s class 320CDi 2002
Well I still didnt finish it completely, and it will take me a while to do a complete post on the install, but basically this is what I had to do,

I had to keep the existing command unit, its hidden behind the nexus, but to get it in there I had to dismantle it somewhat to make it fit, Not a particular hard thing to do, but just have to be careful then nothing gets damaged i.e. ribbon cables. The reason I say I didnt finish it completely is because the controls from the original command I want to mount in the glove box so I can still use the radio if needed and get to the on/off button, see the screen etc, I will post a few more pics later and you will understand what I mean

The input for the sound is via the tape deck with this mod https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...aux-input.html

Sound pretty good and cost £5 in a socket and cable etc. another option would be to get the proper interface but thats £200 - 350 depending on which one you get and where you get it from, and I dont really know how that interfaces with everything.

One problem I had was a buzzing noise when its charging, this is because the system is seeing 2 earths, one for the headphone socket and one for the USB charger going through an additional cigarette lighter I installed, took me ages to figure this one out, and was complete accident, but I cut the ground on the cigarette lighter, and the buzzing stopped, the system only sees one earth, and that's enough to make the circuit to charge the tablet, only just did that so need to test to see if that is suitable.

Take a look at this pic below, its a bit of a mess (only temporary like that at the moment, and you will see how I had to butcher the original command system to make it fit behind the nexus .. I will fix it in properly and as I said all the controls I will mount in the glove box when I get hold of some extended ribbon cables (only need 2, and 2 wires for the screen)

Stripped down Command system so that it fits behind the dash to allow for nexus install, controls will eventually be moved to the glove box
Old 02-20-2015, 10:12 AM

s class 320CDi 2002
And to answer your question about the steering wheel controls , because the command system is still fully functional, the steering wheel controls still do work, Its a pity that there are only limited controls on the steering wheel, would have been better if I could turn the system on and off, and change source and re tune the radio etc. with the wheel controls, but thats not possible, well on my car its not
Old 02-20-2015, 10:20 AM

s class 320CDi 2002
One last thing I would say, this system cost me £70 for a second hand 2012 nexus from an auction, £45 for the fascia (the wood effect ones are cheaper at £35) and about £15 for connectors, cables etc, I have a bluetooth hands free kit on order that cost £20 which I need to integrate, ( not sure how to do that till it comes because I want the calls to route from my phone through the nexus, and I believe the nexus is not directly capable of doing that, so need to do some testing), and there are some power issues I need to sort out, so a few ££ on relays etc.

So all in all a pretty cheap alternative.

I have an appradio 3 in my Van, and to get that working with my phone is a pain in the ***, I will rip it out, selll it second hand an put a nexus in the van too.

By the way, I think the 2013 model maybe a better version to use, will need to do some research on that though
Old 03-05-2015, 04:05 AM

s class 320CDi 2002
I have a community that I started here https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...41320143162892 which I will update with the installation, photo's and pictures when I have time.