S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

02 S600 Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
You can try these guys if your ECU is bad. I'm sure they will be much cheaper than the dealer.
http://www.mercedesecm.com/
Old 03-05-2015, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
If the cps doesn't fix it you really need to find someone with a star DAS laptop to read codes

Post a thread asking for anyone with a star DAS system near your location here and at Benzworld and you might find a member willing to bring their scanner out to help you
Old 03-06-2015, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 S430, 02 CL55 Kleemann AMG
AN UPDATE:
I hate to break the news to everyone, but I think this beast will be laid to rest.
I was cranking the motor with the overflow bottle cap off and it was spraying antifreeze everywhere as it cranked.. Bad head gasket is the verdict..

It will probably be parted out.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
Dibs on a few 600 parts!
Old 03-07-2015, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by forutome
AN UPDATE:
I hate to break the news to everyone, but I think this beast will be laid to rest.
I was cranking the motor with the overflow bottle cap off and it was spraying antifreeze everywhere as it cranked.. Bad head gasket is the verdict..

How was that determined ? Wouldnt the spinning water pump be the reason coolant was spraying out the overflow bottle ? I don't understand how a bad head gasket would result in fluid spraying out the overflow. At most a bad head gasket causes minor bubbles in the overflow, And doesn't coolant from the overflow connect to the windshield washer reservoir to heat the washer fluid ?

Are you sure the coolant spray isn't the coolant designed to flow to the windshield washer reservoir to heat the fluid ?

On cars I've seen with bad head gaskets , smallexhaust bubbles would appear in the overflow : but you have no exhaust since it's not firing . There never would be a spray of fluid no matter how bad the head gasket was blown

I seriously doubt the diagnosis of spraying coolant in the overflow indicates a bad head gasket .

Last edited by tusabes; 03-07-2015 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:02 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
Originally Posted by forutome
AN UPDATE:

There are ways to verify your diagnosis. Do a search on google........

One method............

Old 03-07-2015, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
We know its not exhaust gas because the car isn't running
Old 03-07-2015, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 S430, 02 CL55 Kleemann AMG
Originally Posted by tusabes
How was that determined ? Wouldnt the spinning water pump be the reason coolant was spraying out the overflow bottle ? I don't understand how a bad head gasket would result in fluid spraying out the overflow. At most a bad head gasket causes minor bubbles in the overflow, And doesn't coolant from the overflow connect to the windshield washer reservoir to heat the washer fluid ?

Are you sure the coolant spray isn't the coolant designed to flow to the windshield washer reservoir to heat the fluid ?

On cars I've seen with bad head gaskets , smallexhaust bubbles would appear in the overflow : but you have no exhaust since it's not firing . There never would be a spray of fluid no matter how bad the head gasket was blown

I seriously doubt the diagnosis of spraying coolant in the overflow indicates a bad head gasket .
The over flow is for antifreeze, windshield fluid is in the washer bottle. I had another mechanic look at it, and he said the same as soon as he saw the water spewing. He concluded without hesitation.

Also, if you google "how to test for bad head gasket" one of the first steps is to check for water spewing out of radiator (or over flow). It doesn't have to run to create pressure or gases. The process of cranking in itself would create the pressure needed to push water out of the overflow if there was a blow gasket.

I'm not happy with the diagnosis, but at this point I need to move on to other projects. Part may be available within the next few weeks.