S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Transmission on 2000 s500 problem!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Transmission on 2000 s500 problem!

My 2000 s500 wont shift to reverse sometimes... I found out that if i put it back in Park then again on Reverse it would engage. It shifts perfectly smooth to R,N, and D but it fails sometimes on R. My speedometer also stops working after i drive 3/4 of a mile and my OBD2 says its a speed sensor or something like that. This is giving me chills and nightmares. Please Help!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 S430 4Matic
Perhaps if you add more detail to your question someone would answer. i.e. describe the conditions under which this happens, does the shifter move to the correct location but the tranny does not engage, or does the shifter lock in place, etc. There could be mechanical, electrical, or electronic reasons for your problem. When was the last time the tranny was flushed and filters changed? How many miles do you have on the car?

Last edited by lganski; 04-21-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S430, 2014 E350
I think you might have posted here before... But anyways, I think you should check your transmission control unit, or the wires going to it. When ATF leaks on the wire harness or the connector, it makes the computers go crazy. If not, then you might need to check out the shift solenoids and the conductor plate. Your car has 2 reverse gears. SPORT and COMFORT. Try the other one. Can you get your car checked by a STAR diag computer?
Old 04-21-2015, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
"Your car has 2 reverse gears. SPORT and COMFORT"

Not exactly. The car has a switch that changes between two modes. The two modes have different names on different models.

"S" - Sport/Standard/etc. is the standard transmission shift pattern, starting in first gear, changing at normal RPM levels, etc.
"C" or "W" - Comfort or Winter mode starts in second gear, shifts at lower RPM levels, and shifts a bit more softly.

The difference is in the computer programming selected. In addition, the transmission computer "learns" how you drive - if you have a heavy foot, it will shift up later and more firmly, and will shift down a little sooner and more firmly. If you drive with lighter throttle openings, etc., it will shift up sooner and more softly, and will shift down later and more softly.

You might have some looseness in the shift linkage, or some ATF in the transmission control module (little black box in the right SAM), or some other internal problem. Find the SAM cover in the engine compartment near the right corner of the windshield. Pull the top and carefully examine the wire harnesses for any traces of ATF. If you have ATF, follow the harness to the transmission module, pull it out, unplug it, open it and clean thoroughly with brake cleaner. A permanent fix requires replacing the electrical plug adapter on the left rear corner of the transmission. The adapter is available cheaply at a Chrysler dealer.