S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

LOWER CONTROL ARM S500 - Help Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s500 4Matic
LOWER CONTROL ARM S500 - Help Needed

Have 'PLAY' in both left & right lower control arms, the ball joint '5' is loose on both sides : (

Can I just get ball joint '5' and not buy the whole arm ???

Please help !!!!!

Old 04-27-2015, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 S430 4Matic
You can't find that part on-line. Please someone prove me wrong. I spoke to another MB owner locally, (Massachusetts), and was told that they did sell that ball joint to him even though they did not want to. It was around $90 ea. He told me his mechanic had no problem replacing it with the proper puller. I have yet to check this out.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:52 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
You can buy the lower control arm main bushings and the ball joints separately if you choose. Your mechanic should have a press to get the old/new bushings in/out. Else, less labor but higher parts costs if you just replace the whole assembly.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:22 PM

2006 S430 4Matic
Jnash, this control arm is exclusive to the 4Matic. Rather than having a thread on the ball end there is a groove cut into the end. I have been searching on and off for it for a year now with no luck. You can buy a control arm complete for over $600 each or a discounted MB part from other places. I have never seen it for under $500 each. So far as I know there are no aftermarket versions out there.

I have been thinking of buying a RWD version with the same ball joint and having it pulled and installed into my control arm. Its still cheaper than the $600 per side. I am going to try and convince the dealer one more time to sell me one.

If anyone has more information please let us know.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
Originally Posted by lganski
Jnash, this control arm is exclusive to the 4Matic. Rather than having a thread on the ball end there is a groove cut into the end. I have been searching on and off for it for a year now with no luck. You can buy a control arm complete for over $600 each or a discounted MB part from other places. I have never seen it for under $500 each. So far as I know there are no aftermarket versions out there.

I have been thinking of buying a RWD version with the same ball joint and having it pulled and installed into my control arm. Its still cheaper than the $600 per side. I am going to try and convince the dealer one more time to sell me one.

From what I can see, the center strut ball joint is not replaceable. It is installed into a blind bore with not means of extraction, not even a knockout hole from the rear. I suppose that you could drill one though.

The trunnion bushings as well as the end ball joint are replaceable. As you pointed out, this is a very expensive control arm assembly to buy. I hope that you do try to replace that strut ball joint and lead the way with a procedure. It would be worth destroying a RWD replacement control arm to access a replacement ball joint.

Good Luck,

Bob
Attached Files

Last edited by mercy-me; 04-29-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:08 PM

s500 4Matic
Originally Posted by lganski

Is it possible to replace the ball joint considering it is pressed in and the other end is closed
Old 04-29-2015, 10:18 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
Ah, sorry. Didn't realize yours was 4matic
Old 04-30-2015, 05:42 AM

s500 4Matic
Will it be safe to have the old pulled out and new inserted, is this even possible. If we solve this we could all (4matic) people save some real money , Any help / guidance appreciated
Old 04-30-2015, 12:51 PM

2006 S430 4Matic
zeelaf, yes that is a concern of mine. That item experiences both pushing and pulling and I am concerned about the pulling part.