S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Front Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
Front Suspension Noise

Two months after a minor accident on the left front I have noticed a squeaking or groaning noise coming from the left front. It occurs when I apply the brake...even sitting still and also at slow speeds over un-even pavement. When I park and get out of the car I can here a tapping/tinging sound like a screw driver tapping the top of an empty 1 gallon paint can, but it only last a second or two. I can here a slight wrenching sound like rubber on metal if I push down on the left front fender.

The damage was expertly repaired...a new fender and front half of the plastic inner fender were replaced. For the first 6-8 weeks after the accident I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

The car drives fine...no looseness in the steering or sloppy handling. I jacked the car up and looked all around with a light and didn't see anything obvious. I even sprayed WD 40 on all of the bushings ...seemed to help some but the noise is still there.

Any ideas?

John

Last edited by sprink49; 05-22-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S430, 2014 E350
My car was involved in an major accident back in 2006, it was repaired expertly and now 12 years later, it's making the same noise you are experiencing. However, I fixed the braking noise by adjusting the caliper guide pins on both sides. The rattling noise is still here, and I have no idea what the problem is. It has been a few months and other than a minor annoyance, nothing major happened.

From what you said, I believe the bushing on the control arms are worn down. Either from the crash which made them wear out prematurely. Change it out, and if the bushings get worn down really quickly, I would suggest you take at look at the frame. As it can cause the bushings to wear at a different location.