S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Help, did I just ruin my engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:22 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
Help, did I just ruin my engine?

Hey guys. So a few months ago, the coil pack for the passenger side went bad on my S600. I didn't have any money at the time to repair it because I was repairing my other car (these damn German cars...) and I needed a mode of transportation for that whole month until I got my next paycheck to fix the coil pack issue. So I drove the car with only half the engine running for over a month and the car was always emitting this burnt smell, almost like the engine is being burnt out. I'm really worried about this, what is the source of the burnt smell? What else do I have to look out for after the coil pack issue is fixed? And the most important question of all, what am I damaging by driving this car with only half the engine working? Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks guys.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
You might have ruined the catalyst

Luckily an aftermarket is cheaper than the outrageous oem costs

It's doubtful you ruined the engine . If the cylinders weren't firing they were just moving up and down with no explosion from the spark
Old 06-22-2015, 09:24 PM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by tusabes
You might have ruined the catalyst

Luckily an aftermarket is cheaper than the outrageous oem costs

It's doubtful you ruined the engine . If the cylinders weren't firing they were just moving up and down with no explosion from the spark
Oh what a relief, I thought I had to do an engine rebuild.... And as for these cars, the coil packs are good for how many miles? I'm not sure if these were the original ones from the factory or if they were replaced sometime in it's lifespan. The car has 97k miles.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
The coils have a very high failure rate on these cars, some last 50k miles or less.

Get your replacement from auto zone or OReilly as they have a lifetime warranty

Autozone sometimes has 20-30% off coupons
Old 06-23-2015, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
The coil packs are probably the best reason NOT to buy a Mercedes V12!

Nick
Old 06-23-2015, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
A comment about "lifetime warranties"...

A "Lifetime Warranty" or "Unlimited Lifetime Warranty" means that the item will be replaced as many times as it fails.

A "Limited Lifetime Warranty" means that it will be replaced ONCE and only once if/when it fails, with no time or mileage limitation before that replacement. Most of the items from the auto parts chains have Limited Lifetime Warranties, and will be replaced only once.

Just be sure that you understand the differences in the offered warranties!
Old 06-23-2015, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S500 4Matic Sport
You are a wild man - I got to ask, how did your V12 drive on 6 cylinders? Seriously, a whole month? No way, really? How was it at 60 or 80? could it do 60 or 80? Honestly, I cannot see how you could have harmed the engine. If fuel injectors are operational when the ignition is out (I don't know) then just change your oil, or to be sure do so. God bless America - no money but rolling in an S600, how sweet is that!
Old 06-23-2015, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by msavitt
You are a wild man - I got to ask, how did your V12 drive on 6 cylinders? Seriously, a whole month? No way, really? How was it at 60 or 80? could it do 60 or 80? Honestly, I cannot see how you could have harmed the engine. If fuel injectors are operational when the ignition is out (I don't know) then just change your oil, or to be sure do so. God bless America - no money but rolling in an S600, how sweet is that!
@msavitt , too funny, BUT if you look at his sig he's also got a G500 and a 745 LI.

OH and fixed that for you: " God bless America - no money but rolling in an S600 running on half its cylinders , how sweet is that!"
Old 06-23-2015, 05:07 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
S300!
Old 06-23-2015, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
They actually can run smooth on only six cylinders due to the inherent balance of an inline 6. It's like he had a 250hp inline 6 instead of a 500hp v12

He may have fouled the spark plugs too but I'd run it a while before deciding to change them to see if it really needs it. But yes change the oil as there may be raw fuel in it !!
Old 06-23-2015, 05:48 PM

S55 AMG
I didn't bother driving it on the freeway, so I was always going below 60 when I was driving the thing. And yes, I did drive it for a whole month but I always noticed the "burnt" smell while driving. I still have no idea what the source of the smell is, but if all of you say I did no damage to the engine then I shouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
My guess is The burned smell can be the raw gas that wasn't burned in the engine being burned in the catalytic converter

It's possible one turbo may also be a source of the smell. A turbo uses exhaust gas to spin , if you had no exhaust gas on one half to spin it, it may have stayed stationary and burned the oil inside it.

Now I don't know if the turbo lubrication is dependent on the oil pump , or the exhaust gas for circulation . If it's the oil pump you are ok. If the exhaust is required to spin the turbo and circulate the oil you might have damaged the turbo . Someone with better knowledge of the turbo may be ableto chime in

Last edited by tusabes; 06-23-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:47 PM

S55 AMG
My guess is The burned smell can be the raw gas that wasn't burned in the engine being burned in the catalytic converter

It's possible one turbo may also be a source of the smell. A turbo uses exhaust gas to spin , if you had no exhaust gas on one half to spin it, it may have stayed stationary and burned the oil inside it.

Now I don't know if the turbo lubrication is dependent on the oil pump , or the exhaust gas for circulation . If it's the oil pump you are ok. If the exhaust is required to spin the turbo and circulate the oil you might have damaged the turbo . Someone with better knowledge of the turbo may be ableto chime in
Ah crap, I really hope the turbo isn't damaged otherwise there goes 4k just for one turbo. Once I get a new coil pack for that side and change the oil, will this at least get the turbo back to a healthy condition? I really hope no permanent damage was done.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
You'll have to get the coil pack running first to find out what other problems may exist

Like I said if the turbo has it's lubrication circulated by the oil pump it should be ok .
Old 06-24-2015, 07:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 S430 4matic, 2014 Audi A4
You could have sold your Gwagon to pay for the repair cost....
Old 06-24-2015, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
I regret to say that I have direct experience with S600 turbos last year, and I think there's a chance of a problem.

Engine oil is pumped into the top of the turbo to lubricate and cool the two journal bearings and the thrust washer. Its pumped through small tubes, about 2mm diameter IIRC. It then drains into a large chamber at the bottom of the turbo.

Its important to the longevity of the turbo that the oil supply is maintained at all times, and also that oil does not travel rearwards beyong the centre housing and into the turbine housing. If it does that, the oil will be burnt, and will choke the oil drain and the output seal. Ironically, that will stop the seal from sealing, and oil will get past into the turbine and the exhaust.

This is because there is no conventional seal - its just a thrower ring. Therefore it depends on the centrifugal force from the spinning shaft to throw the oil off, and into the drain. Without that, it would continue to travel along the shaft and onto the turbine.

Now, there are two particular scenarios here. Firstly, if one bank is not firing, it will still be pumping air. There will be less gas than if it's firing, and I guess that its enough air to keep the turbine spinning fast enough for the oil thrower to be efficient.

Secondly, even if it wasn't spinning fast enough, the pumping air won't be hot, at least not hot enough to burn the oil.

Therefore I wouldn't assume the worst, and I think you're probably OK (but I must admit I wouldn't have driven a car with such a fault).

Good Luck, Nick
Old 06-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by AlexMercedes
Ah crap, I really hope the turbo isn't damaged otherwise there goes 4k just for one turbo. Once I get a new coil pack for that side and change the oil, will this at least get the turbo back to a healthy condition? I really hope no permanent damage was done.
i got a couple of sets of turbos let me know if you end up needing one
Old 06-24-2015, 08:35 PM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
I regret to say that I have direct experience with S600 turbos last year, and I think there's a chance of a problem.

Engine oil is pumped into the top of the turbo to lubricate and cool the two journal bearings and the thrust washer. Its pumped through small tubes, about 2mm diameter IIRC. It then drains into a large chamber at the bottom of the turbo.

Its important to the longevity of the turbo that the oil supply is maintained at all times, and also that oil does not travel rearwards beyong the centre housing and into the turbine housing. If it does that, the oil will be burnt, and will choke the oil drain and the output seal. Ironically, that will stop the seal from sealing, and oil will get past into the turbine and the exhaust.

This is because there is no conventional seal - its just a thrower ring. Therefore it depends on the centrifugal force from the spinning shaft to throw the oil off, and into the drain. Without that, it would continue to travel along the shaft and onto the turbine.

Now, there are two particular scenarios here. Firstly, if one bank is not firing, it will still be pumping air. There will be less gas than if it's firing, and I guess that its enough air to keep the turbine spinning fast enough for the oil thrower to be efficient.

Secondly, even if it wasn't spinning fast enough, the pumping air won't be hot, at least not hot enough to burn the oil.

Therefore I wouldn't assume the worst, and I think you're probably OK (but I must admit I wouldn't have driven a car with such a fault).

Good Luck, Nick
Wow, thanks for the information! It's good to know that too much damage wasn't done, definitely not enough for replacing everything on that side of the motor. I will get this problem fixed as soon as my BMW is out of the shop. That had a blown head gasket creating white smoke and it was really a pain in the *** to deal with. The repairs for that were 3k, and now I have to spend another 2.5k for this car's coil packs. And the other day I had to replace tires and brake pads on my Gwagon. These cars are eating my money, man!
Old 06-24-2015, 10:50 PM

00 Lincoln Continental
The real risk of continuing to drive a car with cylinders that aren't firing is that you will wash down the cylinder walls with unburned gasoline. This will cause rapid wear and the extra gasoline will end up in the oil, diluting it and impairing its ability to lubricate. This lack of lubrication can damage the engine and the turbos!

I can see limping the car for a few miles to get home but I would never daily drive one in that condition.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S320L
i pulled out one coil pack cable to see how it will be and that vibration was really disturbing. How did you calm down the passengers with the half of the cylinders were not firing. i would check the engine mounts for early aging.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Originally Posted by MooJohn
The real risk of continuing to drive a car with cylinders that aren't firing is that you will wash down the cylinder walls with unburned gasoline. This will cause rapid wear and the extra gasoline will end up in the oil, diluting it and impairing its ability to lubricate. This lack of lubrication can damage the engine and the turbos!

I can see limping the car for a few miles to get home but I would never daily drive one in that condition.
Yep, chances of this engine burning a quart of oil every 1k miles are gonna be high after this.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:36 AM

Range Rover
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
The coil packs are probably the best reason NOT to buy a Mercedes V12!

Nick
Duly noted, Thanks!
Old 07-16-2015, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Any update ? Did the new coil solve your problem and is it running ok ?
Old 07-16-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 C63 Bone Stock; E36 M3 Supercharged 400WHP; X5 parts eater
Originally Posted by wallyp
A comment about "lifetime warranties"...

A "Lifetime Warranty" or "Unlimited Lifetime Warranty" means that the item will be replaced as many times as it fails.

A "Limited Lifetime Warranty" means that it will be replaced ONCE and only once if/when it fails, with no time or mileage limitation before that replacement. Most of the items from the auto parts chains have Limited Lifetime Warranties, and will be replaced only once.

Just be sure that you understand the differences in the offered warranties!
Limited warranties often just means they will only replace the part and not the labor or any damages caused to other parts by their defect.

For Oreilly... they keep giving you a new part. I bought a set of coils for a cadillac and has had them replace it three times for free.

Here is the warranty wording:
"If a Product is replaced under this warranty (“Defective Product”), a replacement Product will be covered until you sell or otherwise transfer ownership of your vehicle that had the Defective Product, if you install or use the replacement Product on another vehicle, or if you use the part in a manner other than in the way the manufacturer had intended."
Old 07-17-2015, 11:28 PM

S55 AMG
Any update ? Did the new coil solve your problem and is it running ok ?
Actually, what really happened was that I replaced the passenger side coil a few months ago (the first week it went bad), and the car still gave the same problem. I, as well as my mechanic, thought the other side went bad at the same time and we just assumed it was the driver's side coil that needed replacing now. So I drove the car for a few months thinking the driver side coil went bad after replacing the passenger side. However, I recently went back to my mechanic to get the other side fixed to only find out that what really happened was the new coil I put in was defective and I've been driving with a bad passenger side coil this whole time without knowing, with nothing being wrong with my driver side coil. So I ended up going back to my mechanic and he said he'll replace it for free. It's currently at the shop right now, I'll update you when anything happens. I feel really guilty for driving the car for so long with this issue when I could've easily just went the next day and got it fixed for free, but how was I supposed to know the new coil was defective. It sort of is my mechanic's fault for not actually running the computer on my car after the new coil was installed to find out it was just a defective part.

Last edited by AlexMercedes; 07-17-2015 at 11:30 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help, did I just ruin my engine?