Camber Angle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 11:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S320L
Camber Angle

Hi,
I have noticed that my front wheel cambers are looking strange, i dont know is that normal? Not related to that i am going to change upper control arm and lower control arm myself(worn ball joints), can i adjust the camber by myself or need to go to dealer? i have new bolt for LCA for the alignment, my purpose is to do alignment with the good electronic carpenter's level.

What do you think?

Left side

Right Side, it is strange i did not notice that coke can while taking picture, kids!
Old 06-29-2015, 02:27 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by engindin
Hi,
I have noticed that my front wheel cambers are looking strange, i dont know is that normal? Not related to that i am going to change upper control arm and lower control arm myself(worn ball joints), can i adjust the camber by myself or need to go to dealer? i have new bolt for LCA for the alignment, my purpose is to do alignment with the good electronic carpenter's level.

KEEP IN MIND THERE IS ONLY FRONT AND REAR TOE ADJUSTMENT OEM!

CAMBER – Allows to actually change the tire contact angle, improving wear/ traction

CASTER – Resolves steering pull, increases steering response. With better turn in and high speed directional control, along with improved anti dive/lift under brake and acceleration.

AT K-MAC WE SAW THE NEED AND MANUFACTURE PRECISELY ADJUSTABLE (SINGLE WRENCH, ON CAR) FRONT CAMBER AND CASTER AND REAR CAMBER (WITH EXTRA TOE) KITS.

Allowing to return vehicle to factory specs to accurately resolve steering pull or costly/premature edge tire wear. The result of altering height, load carrying, curb knock damage or fitting wide profile tires/wheels. Added bonus is these 4 front and rear K-MAC adjustable bushings also replace the highest wearing suspension bushings at the same time and have twice the load bearing area. The front bushes are 2 axis self aligning and are designed to also improve brake and steering response

For the front (only) - there are available fluted Camber bolts. But these are inaccurate (one only position) bolts offering a minimal .3 of one degree (1/8”/ 3mm) and require labour intensive disassembly each time. While the K-MAC unique patented design provides single wrench precise/ongoing adjustment capability – on car, accurately (under load) direct on alignment rack.

With 4 times the adjustment range of the one position fluted bolts. It means you fix it right the 1st time - no more ongoing visits to dealers or alignment shops because of lack of full/precise adjustment.

For the rear - you can purchase adjustable Camber rods but to reduce inner edge tire wear unlike K-MAC lower arm bushings – these rods need to adjust top of tire outwards which reduces all important clearance to outer fender. K-MAC kits also include extra Toe adjustment necessary to compensate for this new rear Camber facility.

Front kit #502516K $480
Rear kit #502226K $480

Current promotion for MB World members USA/Canada delivery - $30 one kit or $40 front and rear (normally $70 one kit, $80 front and rear).

See link for latest 2015 catalog http://K-mac.com/mercedes/

Old 09-05-2015, 05:41 AM

2002 S320L
Thanks KMac, but i alread bought new LCA and bolt.

I installed new LCA with new alignment bolt, finished everthing, i put the car on the ramp but unfortunately i can not put torque wrench between steering rod and nut to tighten the nut, i can not tighten from bolt's head side because bolt also locked with the pins.

I have checked markets for small hex socket but there is no such small socket! any suggestions?

Last edited by engindin; 09-05-2015 at 05:42 AM. Reason: english
Old 09-05-2015, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 S500
@K-Mac
how much negative camber can your bolts produce?
Old 09-06-2015, 01:40 PM

2002 S320L
i found the solution, it is crow's foot.

Since you use in 90 degrees to torque wrench, no adjustment to load needed.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/re...la_main_en.asp
Old 09-06-2015, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Yes, you must compensate the torque value for the offset of the crowsfoot...
Old 09-07-2015, 12:07 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by IDFWU
@K-Mac
how much negative camber can your bolts produce?

As per above June 29 reply....

"4 times the adjustment range of the one position fluted bolts".

With K-MAC it is precise adjustment and equates to up to 12mm of travel which is approximately one degree (Positive or Negative).

Same amount of adjustment with the rear which also includes extra Toe adjustment to compensate for the new rear Camber facilty.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 S500
so I only have -+1 degree of play? I cant go say -3 degree of camber? (just an example)
Old 09-08-2015, 12:27 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
As explained above we manufacture these (front and rear) precisely adjustable bushings to suit virtually all model Mercedes vehicles.

WE ALSO MANUFACTURE FOR MODELS THAT HAVE COIL SPRING – “STRUT” SUSPENSIONS.
Example:W124, 119, 204, 209 (Black Series), 212 and the current (2013 – 15) W176, 246, C117, X156.

REPLACEMENT TOP STRUT MOUNTS...
Available in Stage 2 (Street/Race) or Stage 3 (Full race). These kits (are also) precisely Camber and Caster adjustable. Providing up to an additional 3 degrees of adjustment.

We have designed these kits especially for Race/Track days. Allowing to dramatically reduce lap times with less understeer – going deeper into the corners and enabling to consistently hit corner apexes with improved traction and braking performance.

Unfortunately the W220 has not strut, but wishbone front suspension! However the 12mm of precise adjustment of the K-MAC bush adjuster kit (4 times that of the one position offset bolt) does equate to 16mm (5/8”) travel at tire tread. Which is still a significant reduction to “inner edge” tire wear!