S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S500 Start up problems

Old 07-05-2015, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
S500 Start up problems

I own a 1999 S500 and have been having problems with either, my key, and/or ignition switch.
Key in...sometimes turns...sometimes not
Key turns, instrument lights on, no engine crank
Key turns, instrument lights on, engine starts, 3 malfunction warns appear, Air suspension, Stability Control, ABS
Turn steering wheel full lock both ways to get rid of one malfunction, but they all remain.
Switch engine off and go through this same procedure for the next ten, fifteen minutes until the car is running with no malfunction warning...car works perfect and never misses a beat.
Thought it might be a battery issue, however the battery is pretty new and I have driven the car long distance to give it a charge up.
This problem seems to be getting worst......Any ideas? Booked it into a dealer dread the thought of cost.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
If you say the battery is "pretty new" then you can try disconnecting it for about `1/2 hour. Once you reconnect go through the entire synchronization process and see if that helps. Read the "Start Here" section and that will explain how you synchronize everything after a battery disconnect.