P0705, shifter box fail/exchange

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S500 W220
P0705, shifter box fail/exchange

Hello my dear friends of the forum,
I thought I got lucky after I changed the conductor plate and the connector to get rid of my P0705 error code. It was fine for a while but now the error is back with the same issues (limp mode, can't shift back into P from D, gear indicator display sometimes blank, hard shifting on the beginning).
I ordered a new shifter box but the one I ordered had a different part number than the original. Long story short, after a week at the indy shop (with STAR) they can't hook up the shifter to my car because the system won't recognize it.
They told me that it needs to be reprogrammed to the car and that is only possible with a brand new shifter. So, if I would order a used shifter with the same part number (A 220 267 09 24 EWM 7) is there a chance that the same part number could be reprogrammed or is this even necessary?

I hope someone has an idea of what I can do because I don't want (or can't) to spend thousands of $ for a brand new shifter box.

I even opened both units to see if I can switch out the computer unit but the "new/used" shifter looked completely different on the inside and everything was riveted instead of screwed down.

Thank you everyone and I hope someone can help me to safe a lot of money.

(by the way: IT IS NOT THE SMALL PLASTIC PIECE THAT IS BROKEN)