S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

New headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:58 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
Originally Posted by tusabes
I wouldn't recommend buying anything on eBay . You should buy your hid kit from the installer you will use to install the lights. They should be experienced installing hid kits in Mercedes and warranty their parts and labor .

That way if you get error message or a light dies, you can take it back to them to fix it. If you bring all your own parts , they will not warranty It. Aftermarket hid kits have a very high failure rate so the chance you'll need warranty work is high . Find a good local shop and use the kit they sell , warranty and stand behind
Sounds really smart, thanks. I'll take it to someone whose job it is to do things like this and have him install it and get everything working.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:56 AM

S55 AMG
Hey guys, sorry for the postponement of this project, I was busy fixing other problems in my car. Now, it's time to get these headlights installed. I was going to buy this HID kit just now, but I thought I'd get your guys' approval on it before I do buy it. Thank you everyone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35W-CANBUS-X...i4obqi4M5qKWpw

Last edited by AlexMercedes; 01-18-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:20 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Are you saying you don't run your low beams at night at all? Or that you just want to run your high beams normally at night? It got pretty dark at 6pm today in socal so should be running your low beams unless you don't go out at night?

As for those Promax kits.... we have fairly extensive experience with that particular kit as we used to carry them as well before we got tired of constantly processing warranty claims as they have a horrible reliability and didn't want our name associated with that product anymore. I know you mentioned before that you're on a budget.... but you don't want your lights to go out on you at night either... I'd recommend looking for a different budget kit.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:27 AM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Are you saying you don't run your low beams at night at all? Or that you just want to run your high beams normally at night? It got pretty dark at 6pm today in socal so should be running your low beams unless you don't go out at night?

As for those Promax kits.... we have fairly extensive experience with that particular kit as we used to carry them as well before we got tired of constantly processing warranty claims as they have a horrible reliability and didn't want our name associated with that product anymore. I know you mentioned before that you're on a budget.... but you don't want your lights to go out on you at night either... I'd recommend looking for a different budget kit.
I'm sorry, am I mistaking what low beams are? I keep thinking that they are the fog lights, as I basically never use those. I assume that the high beam is the one that normally comes on when the lights are on auto mode, without moving the stock.

Also, are you even 100% sure these headlights will work on this car? Just today, the company that makes these headlights replied someone who asked if it were to fit on their factory HID system, to which they responded: "The headlight harnesses are NOT the same. If you have stock Xenon bulbs, unfortunately these headlights will NOT fit on your vehicle."

It would kinda suck to have all the HID bulbs bought and right as I go to put it on, it doesn't work at all. Can someone please clarify if this will even work?
Old 10-21-2015, 03:23 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Yes, you got your lights confused it seems. Fog lights yeah, no one really uses. Low beams are what comes on in auto. High beams you probably also rarely use in the city as well.

Oem xenon bulbs are typically D1S or D2S bulbs which you're not looking for. You're looking for H series HID conversion bulbs.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Yes the eBay seller is correct that the oem hid lights will not fit in these lights
That's why you have to buy the correct aftermarket hid kit . And you keep picking cheap kits that are likely to give you errors . Or flicker, or fail completely . You should get canbus

Last edited by tusabes; 01-17-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:02 PM

S55 AMG
Yes the eBay seller is correct that the oem hid lights will not fit in these lights
That's why you have to buy the correct aftermarket hid kit . And you keep picking cheap kits that are likely to give you errors . Or flicker, or fail completely . You should get canbus
I'm not talking about the original HID bulbs fitting inside the aftermarket. I'm talking about the actual harnesses being different between the factory halogen model and the factory HID model. After doing some research myself, it seems that the factory halogen system only has one plug for each headlight, while the factory HID system has two plugs for each headlight. I just checked it out for myself, there are two plugs for each headlight on my car. One plug is a 6-pin plug that the aftermarket headlights can connect to, then there is another 5-pin plug that doesn't go anywhere if I were to put on these new headlights. The 5-pin plug is only on the factory HID models.

Let's say I had the best most expensive HID kit and I installed them into the headlights. I go to install the headlights and plug it into the right socket, however, there is still that 5-pin plug that doesn't go anywhere into the new headlights. So there is one plug in the headlight and the other one just dangling. Is that 5-pin plug important? Will that prevent the headlight from working entirely?

Last edited by AlexMercedes; 10-21-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
A little research will answer your questions.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...eferences.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...n-upgrade.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-question.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...eadlights.html

There are more threads...
Old 10-22-2015, 09:24 PM

S55 AMG
According to these threads, that 5-pin connector is for the auto-leveling feature. But I've seen somewhere in the threads that aftermarket halogen headlights will not work on the factory HID model, regardless of having an aftermarket HID kid installed into the halogen headlights or not. I need confirmation on this. I have until 10/28 to return these headlights and get a full refund if they end up being incompatible, regardless if they have an HID kit in them. I need quick responses guys, the sooner I find out that they are incompatible, the sooner I can return them before the warranty expires.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:46 PM

S55 AMG
I recently tried installing these headlights. I used an expensive HID kit, but the headlights just did not work. I even tried it without the HID kit on the other headlight, it didn't work either. They tried everything to get it working, and we got nothing in return. There was two plugs: One connected perfectly to the aftermarket's plug and the other one was left hanging with nowhere to go. I'm assuming if the car detects nothing is plugged into that hanging plug, then it will detect that nothing is plugged in at all.

This really sucks. The headlight looked amazing when they were put in the car, they even looked better than the actual 2015 s class headlights! It's disappointing that it didn't work. I guess I'll just wait for the HID compatible version to come out.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts
2009 E350 4M Avantgarde;mistress 2002 S600; wife 2014 C300 4M
On my S600 the low beams are auto-level HID, while the high beams are H7.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:53 PM

S55 AMG
I wanted to update this thread. I successfully got the headlights to work with my S600. I didn't even need to put an HID kit in it, I kept the headlights exactly how I got it from the mail. It is very tricky to get the headlights to work with a car that doesn't have the factory halogen system, as it won't work if you just try to plug it in normally or use an HID kit with it. But, I am glad to say, that this is entirely possible. The result is amazing, the car looks like some brand new concept Mercedes-Benz from the front. It no longer looks like a 10+ year old S-Class. I will post some pictures soon.

I will reveal how I got them to work a little bit later.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:03 PM

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS63, S55
Sounds good, definitely interested in doing this as well.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Awesome , glad you got it to work using the factory parts
Old 01-18-2016, 10:10 PM

S55 AMG
Old 01-18-2016, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
looks good but don't know how i feel about having new looking parts on a older car..
Old 01-18-2016, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Looks awesome !! Completely updated the look of the car

Can you please post step by step how you got them to work on a car with factory xenon ? There is another member on benzworld asking to do the exact same thing and i would like to be able to point them to your solution
Old 01-19-2016, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E430 Sport
So has anyone used these on a halogen car? I need new headlights and I have the standard halogen models. I read a lot of negative comments about poor wiring on theses, they are specd right? Are they truly plug and play? i know they haze easier than stock headlights, I have a buddy who owns a body shop would clearing them help?
Thanks
Old 01-19-2016, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Using clear vinyl wrap, like clear bra material will prevent hazing . It also protects from stone chips . I clear wrap all my headlights after I do a headlight restoration to keep them clear and protected

If you have factory halogen lights they should be plug and play

Hopefully Alex will chime in about the wiring as he installed them on his car with factory xenon hid

Last edited by tusabes; 01-19-2016 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:21 PM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
I really like the look of that. You have all working and no pesky error lights?
Old 01-21-2016, 07:27 PM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Alexbenz
looks good but don't know how i feel about having new looking parts on a older car..
Trust me, this looks even better in person. The headlights completely go along with the W220s curves and body lines, and they even look better than the W222 at some angles! Totally worth it.

Using clear vinyl wrap, like clear bra material will prevent hazing . It also protects from stone chips . I clear wrap all my headlights after I do a headlight restoration to keep them clear and protected

If you have factory halogen lights they should be plug and play

Hopefully Alex will chime in about the wiring as he installed them on his car with factory xenon hid
The halogens will be plug and play. As for making the headlights work with factory xenon system, it is really complicated. I'm not the one who did the job, but I was the one who came up with the method which did eventually work. If anyone is willing to make the effort of getting the headlights working, you must cut all the wires separately from the headlight and directly wire them into the factory plug. It's a long process of trail and error for which wire is turn signal, drl, etc. and you directly wire it into the factory plug correspondingly. It is a very time consuming and difficult process, but definitely worth it at the end

Originally Posted by compaddict
I really like the look of that. You have all working and no pesky error lights?
No errors whatsoever. Not in the dash, not with the headlights themselves, nothing. It is as if you are running the stock headlights.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Can your guy make an adapter cable , that plugs into the Mercedes wiring and plugs into the updated headlights ? That way the wires can be routed correctly and will go to the correct position and it can be plug and play
Old 01-22-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
06' W220 4MATIC (sold) 08'ml63 AMG
I have noticed that the other model aftermarket headlights with DRL at the bottom edge (Silver or Black) now have halogen and factory xenon models (non-ABC). Maybe we will get lucky and there will be a factory xenon option for the other model as well.

Last edited by eldos1; 01-22-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E430 Sport
For the Halogen set up
Do they retain the factory Fog Lights?

Last edited by pghbenzo; 01-23-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Originally Posted by AlexMercedes
That's a good look. I don't like cars that are obviously modded, but I like that. How did you do it?

Nick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New headlights