S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Car has lost its power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 09:54 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
Car has lost its power

So I was testing out the speed on my renntech S600 today, and I noticed that the car has completely lost its power after a long term issue with misfires. When the gas is pressed all the way down to the kickdown button, the car doesn't downshift to get more power from a lower gear and instead stays on the current gear and revs all the way up. The transmission shifts normally when driving under normal conditions. I only noticed this issue after the ignition voltage transformer was replaced after a 4 month long issue of misfiring. Before the car started misfiring, it would go really fast and there would be an immense amount of power when the gas was pressed down. It has completely lost that feel now. Does anyone have an idea as to what it may be?
Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
See post 13 here

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...l#post10079385

And try the various resets. May need a star DAS reset
Old 09-08-2015, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Short version
Climate controll off,doors closed,radio off.Turn key to on position(not start) just to the position that all the lights are lit up on the dash.Press your foot to the gas pedal to the floor.(the reason you don't want it running)Hold for 10-20 seconds,turn key off with foot still on the floor,now slowly lift off the pedal and sit for two minutes before removing the key and exiting the car.

Longer version
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...our-22-6x.html
Old 09-08-2015, 01:29 AM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by tusabes
Short version
Climate controll off,doors closed,radio off.Turn key to on position(not start) just to the position that all the lights are lit up on the dash.Press your foot to the gas pedal to the floor.(the reason you don't want it running)Hold for 10-20 seconds,turn key off with foot still on the floor,now slowly lift off the pedal and sit for two minutes before removing the key and exiting the car.

Longer version
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...our-22-6x.html
I've heard that it could be my catalytic converters that need to be cleaned because of the unburned gasoline accumulating in there from the misfiring. The gasoline from that misfiring half of the engine WAS being burned in the catalytic converter, right?

I've also heard it could be the boost pressure sensor and/or map sensor, but my mechanic already changed out the map sensor at the time the car got its misfiring issue fixed. I'm not sure about the boost pressure sensor though.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:42 PM

S55 AMG
Does anyone have any clue as to why this car still has very slow acceleration? I got my cats checked out yesterday and they were completely fine. The passenger side resonator was completely destroyed, I'm assuming it was from the misfires, so I replaced my two resonators with straight pipes instead and thought the problem would be solved. Nope, it still has the same issue. Any help? I'm completely confused right now, a freaking toyota camry could beat this car right now and that's not a good feeling to have
Old 09-13-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 S430 4matic, 2014 Audi A4
Didn't you post something saying your car only has like half of its engine working a few months back?
Old 09-13-2015, 02:54 PM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Benzman33
Didn't you post something saying your car only has like half of its engine working a few months back?
Yeah that issue is fixed now, but now it doesn't have the power like it did before the misfiring issue.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:57 PM

Maybe the person who repaired, it repaired it wrong?
Old 09-13-2015, 03:03 PM

S55 AMG
Maybe the person who repaired, it repaired it wrong?
No that doesn't even make sense, the car either fires all 12 cylinders or it doesn't, there is no way he "repaired it wrong." I'm going to have someone look at the transmission, that's my next shot at fixing this issue.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by AlexMercedes
No that doesn't even make sense, the car either fires all 12 cylinders or it doesn't, there is no way he "repaired it wrong." I'm going to have someone look at the transmission, that's my next shot at fixing this issue.
What? You said it only used to fire 6 or 8? its a good chance I'm right.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:24 PM

S55 AMG
What? You said it only used to fire 6 or 8? its a good chance I'm right.
It's a good chance you're right about what? The car still running on 6 cylinders after my mechanic "repaired it wrong"? If my car is still misfiring, I would know. This is a different issue.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:43 PM

LOL, why don't you sell this car. Seams like a Lemon to me.... You're very snappy too bro, chill out.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:13 PM

S55 AMG
LOL, why don't you sell this car. Seams like a Lemon to me.... You're very snappy too bro, chill out.
Well you do come on here and insist that the problem is the misfiring when I clearly said it isn't and that all my 12 cylinders work, but then you keep insisting. Just accept the fact and move on, plus I'm not here to argue, I'm here to get help on what to do next. So far our conversation didn't help me at all.....
Old 09-14-2015, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by AlexMercedes
Well you do come on here and insist that the problem is the misfiring when I clearly said it isn't and that all my 12 cylinders work, but then you keep insisting. Just accept the fact and move on, plus I'm not here to argue, I'm here to get help on what to do next. So far our conversation didn't help me at all.....
It seams like you're here to argue. I wasn't insisting, I was trying to help you. But since you're a D*ick that doesn't appreciate people trying to help you will not get any where on this thread.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S65 AMG
You might want to run a compression test on the cylinder bank that was misfiring. I have heard that it is possible for all that unburned gasoline to wash the oil off the cylinders and lead to piston ring failure.... IIRC you drove the car like that for a while. I had a mustang that had a fuel injector hang open all the time (problem with add on electronic tuner). I pulled the injector wire to prevent all the fuel dumping into they cylinder. A dead dry cylinder is better than a dead wet cylinder was the thinking....

Also there may be a way to test cylinders with the engine software.... On the mustang, there was a test mode called "cylinder balance test" where the computer would cut fuel to each cylinder in turn and measure the rpm drop. If a cylinder was an outlier it would trigger a code and tell you the weak cylinder (less rpm drop than the others)

Maybe someone with more computer experience might chime in on this.... compression test would be old school way of troubleshooting the problem... Hopefully will be something simple though.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:10 PM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by lahomebuyers
You might want to run a compression test on the cylinder bank that was misfiring. I have heard that it is possible for all that unburned gasoline to wash the oil off the cylinders and lead to piston ring failure.... IIRC you drove the car like that for a while. I had a mustang that had a fuel injector hang open all the time (problem with add on electronic tuner). I pulled the injector wire to prevent all the fuel dumping into they cylinder. A dead dry cylinder is better than a dead wet cylinder was the thinking....

Also there may be a way to test cylinders with the engine software.... On the mustang, there was a test mode called "cylinder balance test" where the computer would cut fuel to each cylinder in turn and measure the rpm drop. If a cylinder was an outlier it would trigger a code and tell you the weak cylinder (less rpm drop than the others)

Maybe someone with more computer experience might chime in on this.... compression test would be old school way of troubleshooting the problem... Hopefully will be something simple though.
Thanks for the info, I'm going to the dealership and having them test the whole car with the STAR system. My mechanic doesn't seem to know what the exact cause of the issue is, so I'm hoping the STAR will pinpoint it. I'll also mention the cylinder balance test, thanks!
Old 09-15-2015, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Good luck ! Let us know what the problem turns out to be

I still think it's your catalytic converters and whatever shop checked them did not check all of them thoroughly , and did not physically disconnect them to see how it ran wide open

You were throwing a lot of raw unburned fuel when only half your cylinders were firing , and as we noted in your prior thread , while it likely didn't do engine damage , there's a high probability you damaged your cats or your turbos

Last edited by tusabes; 09-15-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S65 AMG

I still think it's your catalytic converters and whatever shop checked them did not check all of them thoroughly , and did not physically disconnect them to see how it ran wide open

You were throwing a lot of raw unburned fuel when only half your cylinders were firing , and as we noted in your prior thread , while it likely didn't do engine damage , there's a high probability you damaged your cats or your turbos
Hopefully just stopped up cat.... will be interesting to hear outcome...
Old 09-16-2015, 12:28 AM

S55 AMG

Yeah they didn't thoroughly check my cats. My resonator happened to be completely split open on the passenger side (I'm assuming from the raw gas burning in there) and they removed both resonators and replaced them with a pipe. I told them about the cats too, they found a few holes in there (I'm assuming they were from the raw gas too) and covered up the holes. At the beginning I did mention the car was driven for a while under misfires and that the car has no power now, they also suspected it was because of the cats but really didn't do anything about it except for cover up a few holes. I'm probably going to go back there and have them do the tests you mentioned. I should also mention that I recently got a check engine light and the code was P0401, which has been reset now. I'll keep this thread updated....
Old 10-03-2015, 09:51 PM

S55 AMG
I thought I'd update this thread by stating that I took the car to a STAR/DAS diagnoses to find out what the issue is. Turns out that, according to the mechanic, the secondary air injector (CEL error code P0410) is the culprit of the loss of power issue. I'm going to get that replaced soon, hopefully within this week, and I really hope this will fix the loss of power issue. If anyone would like to suggest something else, please feel free to do so. I'll continue to update this thread until the issue is solved.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
I doubt that a secondary air injection fault will cause your lack of power. You can throw away secondary air injection the car will still perform. Just remember those 12cyl engines are pretty smooth running even when they run on 6 cyls. So don't rule that out. You need star diagnose and check fault counters on all cylinders. The v12 I have repaired have usually ended up in a new coil pack and spark plugs. Good luck
Old 10-04-2015, 05:02 PM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Russell Ormerod
I doubt that a secondary air injection fault will cause your lack of power. You can throw away secondary air injection the car will still perform. Just remember those 12cyl engines are pretty smooth running even when they run on 6 cyls. So don't rule that out. You need star diagnose and check fault counters on all cylinders. The v12 I have repaired have usually ended up in a new coil pack and spark plugs. Good luck
You're right, I've done a lot of research on the secondary air injector and looks like it has nothing to do with the loss of power. Either these guys are trying to scam me or they are just plain stupid.... I'm completely lost as of what to do now. Got new coils, new ignition voltage transformer, new MAP sensor, catalytic converters/exhaust system checked, and still no luck on resolving this issue. I'm completely out of ideas.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
Why were the coils and transformer replaced? That must of cost you a fortune.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
Spark plugs? You need in depth diagnosis now. This is a job for a experienced MB technician. It would be very difficult for me to assist you without seeing the car. Try getting hold of a ir thermometer start car from cold and check temp of each exhaust as it comes out of the head. You may need to remove the intake pipes to get down there. Another question is your motor a Bi turbo? ?
Old 10-04-2015, 07:19 PM

S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Russell Ormerod
Spark plugs? You need in depth diagnosis now. This is a job for a experienced MB technician. It would be very difficult for me to assist you without seeing the car. Try getting hold of a ir thermometer start car from cold and check temp of each exhaust as it comes out of the head. You may need to remove the intake pipes to get down there. Another question is your motor a Bi turbo? ?
The car was running on 6 cylinders for about 4 months. That 4-month run on 6 cylinders is mostly likely the reason why this car is having this problem now. Prior to that, the cars power was incredible. After the misfiring issue was fixed by replacing both the coils and the voltage transformer, the car has no power at all when floored now. If I were to put it in perspective in the best way possible, a 10 year old corolla would beat this car in a race at the current state it's at. And yes, it's the biturbo motor.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car has lost its power