S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Airmatic Visit Workshop resolved with height/level sensors

Old 01-11-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 S430
Airmatic Visit Workshop resolved with height/level sensors

TL;DR: If your car is stuck at the top of its height range, try changing your height/level sensors.

My "Airmatic... Visit Workshop" symptoms were that my car was raised to the level of the Bigfoot Monster Truck back around 1991. In each Sport suspension setting it would barely move. It did not leak nor bottom out after sitting.
Because I can't stop messing with stuff, I installed 3 washers on each front height sensor & closed the rear sensor completely. My car came down less than half an inch. From what I've read about that lowering method, it should have come down a lot more.
Further researching what I found, I knew it was an electrical issue. For safety purposes, when the system finds an electrical fault, it pumps the bags to the top & won't let it come down until that issue is fixed. I'm not making that up, I read it in a couple of articles from reputable sources.
In tracking down my electrical snafu, I replaced N & O relays with new Hella relays. No change. I then checked every inch of wiring I could get to for a break or short & found nothing.
When I got to my compressor, I unplugged it & plugged it back in, electrically, & the car came down about a half inch, stayed there until I hit the LIFT button & then it was stuck at the top again.
For other reasons I'll address in another post, I had to get hooked up to an indy shop's STAR. It showed my left, height sensor was bad & all wiring was good.
I replaced both front height sensors & everything is golden. I did replace the left side first & it cleared my Airmatic warning. I then replaced the right because, if I hadn't, it would've gone out the next day.
My car is now lowered to about 1" over the top of each front tire. I'm moving up to 19" wheels from my current 18s so, I'm going to upgrade to lowering links to dial it in to exactly where I want it. Yes, I know STAR is the way of the God's to lower my car but I'm going to pay the $80 for links rather than $500 for a STAR DAS... for now.
The great news is that my Airmatic no longer needs the Workshop visit & is fully functional.
Looking back, I would have replaced the sensors when I replaced the relays. They were 13 years old & only $60 to replace so why not take the 45 minutes to get them replaced before 3 hours under your car checking wires?
Old 01-12-2016, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Great post . The level sensors are more frequently failing with the age of these cars

Another common issue is the electrical connections simply aren't fully seated /plugged in , especially after suspension or brake service . Always double check the connections first because it might not even be a bad sensor - just a bad connection
Old 01-17-2016, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S 500 4 MATIC , 2001 S 430 , 2003 ML 500
This could explain why my car is higher on the drivers front that the rest of the car ! i should replace the sensor