S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

F Ride Height Sensor / Upper Control Arms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 s430
F Ride Height Sensor / Upper Control Arms

I am currently replacing most of the front suspension parts. hubs, arms, tie rods etc.

Will probably get to the upper arms tmrw.

My question is this: How do you remove the front ride height sensor from the upper control arm?

The nut is pretty rusted and seems to twist and strain everything when applying torque to it. Ive also tried to twist off the upper ball where it connects directly to the upper control arm but its puts a bit of strain on the plastic sensor arm. I don't like it, especially in this freezing cold weather.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:32 PM

2000 s430
Been a little behind on getting this job done. But the wheel hubs are finally rebuilt as of tonight.

Sorry to see no replies. But I will update for any future member searches.
I have an idea i'm going to try involving needle nose vice grips
Old 01-17-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S 500 4 MATIC , 2001 S 430 , 2003 ML 500
They usually come right off there is a 10 mm bolt on the top of the upper control arm , i had the same problem a few months ago replacing my control arms when it did come out i think it damaged the sensor because now the drivers side is too high and causes the car to pull to the side on the highway i think we might be better off replacing the ride height sensors when replacing the control arms from now on
Old 01-17-2016, 09:30 PM

2000 s430
Originally Posted by S430LUCKDRAGON
They usually come right off there is a 10 mm bolt on the top of the upper control arm , i had the same problem a few months ago replacing my control arms when it did come out i think it damaged the sensor because now the drivers side is too high and causes the car to pull to the side on the highway i think we might be better off replacing the ride height sensors when replacing the control arms from now on
Been dealing with some other issue related to wheel sensors and probably hubs so I haven't updated this thread. But after seeing your comment I thot is better get on it.

So being that they were very rusty I doused them with PB Blaster while I tackled ball joints, bolts etc. When I applied the needle nose vice grips I was able to stop the twisting and torquing and slowly break the nut free. Once it was removed I realized there's an built in grip hidden behind the rubber bushing/grommet whateve it's is that is meant for a wrench. The vice grips worked for well for the 1sr side so I didn't bother to size a wrench for it. I had no issues with the height sensors after reassembly. I greased the threads should any future removal be necessary. I did take a picture of the "grip" so you all could see

Last edited by nanu13; 01-17-2016 at 10:47 PM.