S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Problems after taking out fuse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S320 W220 1998
Problems after taking out fuse

Hi. I've had a problem with my s320 petrol. The battery has been drained every morning, so i connected a multimeter between the negative pole on my battery and the negative cable. And found out that the car uses 3,8amp while swithed off. And then i tried to pull out some fuses to see if i could find the problem. Did not manage to find the problem, so i put the fuses back in and hooked the cable on the battery again and started the car. The car started but everything was wrong. My display showed fault messages: Display defective ESP, Airmatic visit workshop. My steering was heavy, transmission would not shift from seacond gear and my speedometer didn't work. I tried to connect my friends obd2 to the car but couldnt find any foult codes. Does anyone have a clue what the problem and solution could be?

Sorry if my english is bad
Old 02-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Your first mistake was to tackle the problem without the proper CAN analyzing tools. You second mistake was to disconnect the battery.

FYI we don't full fuses any more to find circuits that are supposed to be asleep, but yet awake and consuming voltage---tools such as SDscan are used for that purpose.

Now you have to go back to square one not only do you have to pay some one to find the awake circuit, but he first has to spend more of your money fixing your mistake and clear all the faults and if he dosen't have the DAS Xentry or equal they will never be able to clear the faults-----it's an OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOps
Old 02-10-2016, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
All you need to do are the reset procedures , listed in the encyclopedia thread stuck at the top of the forum
Old 02-10-2016, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S320 W220 1998
Thanks alot for answering, it really helps alot

I've tried turning the steering wheel from lock to lock many times now, but to no help. I looked at the "encyclopedia start here" thread and found the reset part and then "ecu reset". It was written that i should turn of my ac blower, turn of my lights etc. Than diconnect the battery for 30 seconds, connect it again, turn my key switch to position 2, open and close the windows in a spesial way, tur on the blower and click both switches to 72 degrees (mine has celisius so turnd it to 22) Dont know if it matters. And turn all the lights on and off. Than start the car and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock. unfortunately this didn't help. I've had a flat battery before and the fault messages was different, if i remember right it said: BAS, ESP, Airmatic. Now it sais: "Display defective ESP" and "Airmatic visit workshop"

The car is a late 1998 model, and its imported from Denmark to cold Norway in 2002

Thanks again for the help, hope i can get this car good again cheapest possible