S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

W220/S430 Switch problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220 S320, W126 380SEC, W111 220SE
W220/S430 Switch problem

The switches on top of the dash (airmatic, emergency, headrests, heat rear window, etc) are not functioning. Is there a control module for these switches, and where is it located?

Richard
Old 07-12-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 C300
I don't know, but I'd start with fuses.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S430, 2014 E350
WHen you say on top of dash, what do you mean? Airmatic is in the middle, heated window is on the bottom on the climate control, and emergency SOS button is on the roof.

But it seems like you might have a SAM problem. https://w220.ee/SAM_(Signal_Acquisit...tuation_Module)

Last edited by cybertronicify; 07-12-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:54 PM

2018 C300
Originally Posted by cybertronicify
WHen you say on top of dash, what do you mean? Airmatic is in the middle, heated window is on the bottom on the climate control, and emergency SOS button is on the roof.

But it seems like you might have a SAM problem. https://w220.ee/SAM_(Signal_Acquisit...tuation_Module)
I'm going to assume he means the buttons below, assuming he meant hazards when he said emergency, and window shade instead of window heat.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Is the reed valve clean? Any heavy rain lately? Check the passenger side floor and see if you notice any dampness?

If not check the fuse. If that fails it could be a SAM.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, cybertronicify it is the cluster of buttons, and the rear window heat is integrated with the climate control. My car was pressure-washed as a "courtesy" by the carrier when transported interstate, and water got through the cowl, flooded the carpets leaving the rear SAM module covered with water. I spent time drying out the carpets, and replaced the rear SAM, restoring the rear lighting. My question is which SAM interfaces to these switches? Where is it located? All the fuses check ok, but I haven't checked the electronic ones. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Richard
Old 07-13-2016, 03:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S430, 2014 E350
Seems like the link I posted doesn't work...

The left SAM in the engine compartment deals with all left front lights and the side light - except low beam (which comes from the right SAM), further rear air outlet illumination and glove compartment lock illumination. It also interacts directly with rotary light switch, the HCS switch, the steering column adjustment motor group (the motors via left front fuse and relay module), ESP, SPS and BAS control, with AIRMATIC with ADS control unit or ABC control unit and via right front fuse and relay box with refrigerant compressor.

The left SAM gets signal input from the left front brake pad contact sensor, refrigerant pressure sensor, refrigerant temperature sensor, outside temperature display temperature sensor, brake fluid indicator switch and parking brake indicator switch.

The right SAM in the engine compartment deals with all right front lights and the side light - except low beam (which comes from the left SAM), and also the lights in glove box, center console storage and eyeglass compartment, ashtray and footwell. It also handles heating and pumping for the windshield washer nozzle and washer nozzle hose and pumping water for the Headlamp Cleaning System; and the additional fan (radiator fan) for coolant, the fan for transmission oil cooler, and the circulation pump for the heating system delivery unit.

The right SAM gets signal input from the right front brake pad contact sensor, coolant level indicator with windshield washer fluid level indicator (both are in series!) and Anti-Theft Alarm [EDW] hood switch. Incoming and outgoing signals for the switches and controls for lights, pumps, heaters and so on in most cases are delivered via CAN from and to other controllers.

The rear SAM below the right rear seat cushion interacts directly with the trailer recognition control unit and with the ESP, SPS, BAS-controller. It communicates e.g. with the overhead control panel control unit via CAN. It also deals with all rear lights, closing the trunk and fasten seat belts indications; additionally it reads the tank level sensor, a tilt sensor (Anti-Theft Alarm inclination sensor), all 4 door contacts and the rear brakes sensors.

The relay for the fuel pump is placed near the rear SAM but normally it will get its signal from the ME. Only AMG versions have an extra controller for the fuel pump.

The Right SAM and the Rear SAM handles the controls for the switches. The Right SAM is just there for a passthrough while the Rear SAM actually handles the CAN Bus IO.

The Right SAM is the one at the fuse box near the cabin air intake vent on the passenger side of the windshield in the hood compartment. (Left hand drive version) Like John said, if the drain valve in the vent is clogged up with debris, water will overflow right into the SAM units/fuse box and kill them.

Last edited by cybertronicify; 07-13-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Make the carrier transport company pay for the water damage.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:18 PM

2018 C300
Originally Posted by ibeforreal
Make the carrier transport company pay for the water damage.
+1 to that, something they did caused damage, they are liable. They may try to weasle out of it, but you should be able to push hard enough to get them to cover it. I'd argue that they must have blasted the powerwasher into gaps they should not have, resulting in damage. A quick spritz with a washer shouldn't cause issue, anyway. Either your car was already plugged up and nearly overflowing with water or they really went to town on it with that washer.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Google the CARMACK amendment . It regulates interstate cargo carriers . Despite what the bill of lading may say , they are strictly liable and must deliver the car in the same condition they picked it up.

Very easy to win in small claims court if they deny , which they always do . You have very short deadlines to report damage and file suit .
Old 07-15-2016, 11:54 AM

Thanks guys for all your help. What I know is before the car was transported 3200 miles across Australia, there were no error messages, and the car was running well. When it was delivered, the rear tail-light and indicator lamps were flashing like a Christmas tree, and the carpets were wet. Lifting the back seat, the rear SAM was completely covered with water, and I soon found out that the vehicle had been pressure washed before delivery. There was some debris covering the reed valve in the front cowl. I'm negotiating with the carrier, in the meantime the car is back and running after I fitted a new rear SAM module I purchased from the US. It was cheap enough, now to get the switches working, I don't know if it's possible for water to flow into the front left SAM.

Richard.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:09 PM

2018 C300
Never underestimate how many places water can get to once it finds an access point.