S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Transmission mounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes S 430
Transmission mounts

My S430 started the 2000 RPM vibration that I have read about on this forum. In most cases it appears to be the transmission mount. I took it to an independent garage I know is honest and reliable and asked them to replace the mount for me. They completed the job for under $200 and now I remember how smooth and quiet the engine used to be.
Had I taken it to some of these shops I know of, or a MB dealer service, They would have taken hours checking belts, pulleys, and found the mount by trial and error. The cost would have been much higher then I just paid. So there are some good, honest and reliable shops out there. In addition, it just proves it pays to read all the posts that refer to the problem you have. You can usually find the answer to your problem and fix it your self or at least you know what to tell the shop that you want done.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Yes, that can help, but...

If you trust the shop and the tech, you need to remember that they do this for a living, and will almost certainly have much more experience than you do, and they are actually looking at and testing the car. It is probably a very good idea to listen to their reports and suggestions with an open mind. If they tell you something totally different from what you expect, your choices are: trust them, and let them fix the car; or, thank them, take the car somewhere else and get a second opinion. Not usually a good idea to burn any bridges - a trustworthy independent shop is a valuable asset.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes S 430
Yes, Wally, your right. However, in this case I was quite sure that was what the problem was. Had I not had this forum to help find the possibilities that could cause this problem, sure I would have just told them to find out what is causing it, and then go from there.
It just shows what a great resource this forum is. They do all our Patrol vehicles and always do a great job. I would not use anyone else.

Bud