S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Problems with airmatic suspension on W220 (2004)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S320 CDI
Problems with airmatic suspension on W220 (2004)

Two rear suspension units were bought from a company selling Chinese goods (so I discovered), which instantly proved faulty. I am going through the difficulty of getting a refund. Two second hand ones were purchased and fitted. One of these rear units goes down overnight so I need to acquire another. The cost of these items from Mercedes is an extortionate £1000. From Eurocarparts the rear ones are about £450 (this is from memory without looking again). Searching the net I find a company called Aerosus, where these units sell for £312, with a 10% discount if you buy two. The unit on the other side seems to be OK.
Has anybody fitted air suspension struts from Aerosus? Are they OK? I am very wary after the experience I am going through at the moment. Searching for independent reviews on the supplier I find others have had the same problem. I cannot find any reviews on Aerosus. There appears to be a connection with Germany but that does not mean the units are made there.
I should mention that I bought a front unit from the 'Chinese' supplier, which was fine but that has now failed; it makes a 'clonking' sound but does not go down so I am living with that for a while.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
2013 S550 4MATIC
I would stay away from anything Chinese. Look up into Arnott Industries. I believe they have a distributor in Europe. Pretty sure they do actually. Here in US that's what everyone uses when their shocks fail. Well everyone expect me lol I went with the reman ones from the Dealers. The good thing about Arnott is that they stand behind their product. Good luck !!
Old 07-23-2016, 11:04 AM

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 C300
It's also worth noting Chinese parts dealers will often try to use a European sounding name to disguise their origin. Stick with the known good suppliers, you'll waste time and money trying to find a bargain.