S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

HELP: S320 Battery Draining problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk
HELP: S320 Battery Draining problem

The car was fine in the past 50,000 miles, I could leave it in the parking lot for a month and starts okay, the battery can stays at 12.3v or above. These 4 months I am suffering battery draining problem, the car will not start after a week not driving it (sometimes less than 4 days) and jump start is required.

To quickly fix the problem, I bought an extra battery, installed a battery switch and bring a portable battery along just in case the battery goes out while I am on the road.

It brings a lot of other problems, such as ABS warning, airmatic warning, fail brake lights etc. I will also need to open the trunk with a key to turn on the battery switch, which is very embarrassing.

I read through the wikipedia in the forums, none of them are things I could handle (it is boiling hot in Asia and parking spot is super tight to work on the car). It is wise to bring it to the shop with STAR diagnosis, but what are the things they should look for so I won't get ripped off.

***my next step to try is to replace all those interior light bulbs and check the contact pts to see corrosion***
Old 07-25-2016, 12:19 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,053 Likes on 974 Posts
1999 E300TD
Within the DAS Xentry aka Star diagnostic system is SDscan---it is used for cases just like yours-----however most folks will first run a quick test---make sure you ask and get a copy of both tests.

However have you looked at the simple things such as door switches---are they really closing bla bla bla.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 490 Likes on 433 Posts
Mercedes
One way to get around this problem of battery drain is to buy
Battery brain T3 on Amazon

It's a remote control battery disconnect that will completely disconnect power using a keyfob remote so you just click it when you leave the car and click it when you come back . It won't fix the problem but will stop the battery from draining and no need to go open trunk each time