S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Door transplant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S500 Base Sedan W220 without ABC
Door transplant

OK. Here is a good one. I have recently purchased from a salvage yard 4 (143) Arctic White doors in great condition. My doors are in various stages of showing rust along the bottom edge (strangely no other rust on the car). Being that these doors match my paint exactly, I figure it is going to be a fairly easy transplant (after all, I removed the doors in the salvage yard myself). My question concerns opening my soon to be new doors with the old key. Does the key communicate with the door or the SAM controlling the door locks? I have never really thought about it before! Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Are you removing the door locks/accutuators (a real pain to remove) from the old doors and placing them in the replacements? I'm assuming that you are also transferring the door control panels. If so then they should probably work.

If you are not switching the locks then your mechanical key certainly will not work on the new door (driver's side).
Old 10-12-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S500 Base Sedan W220 without ABC
Wasn't going to remove the locks and actuators as I always use the infrared to open the doors. I am transfer my panels and controls though.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
I would sit in the car after installing the new doors and use the lock/unlock button on the dash to make sure they are working properly.

If that doesn't work you may try pulling the PSE fuse that is behind the lamp lens just below the rear right side passenger seat for about 20 minutes.

If that doesn't work you may require a STAR DAS system to reset the PSE pump in hopes that it will recognize the new door locks.

A WORD OF CAUTION: Since you are not taking the driver's door lock actuator out and putting it in the replacement door should your battery die you have no way of getting in the car unless you have a mechanical key from the door that you are using to replace.