S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Wont Start - Might have made problems worse!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Class 320CDI 2003 & RR TD6 Vogue
Wont Start - Might have made problems worse!

Hello,

I recently bought three w220s very cheap here Ireland. People don't want them because the tax rate to drive them is high.

They where all bought as non-runners with the 3.2 diesel engine. One of them in particular I think is worth saving. But I am having trouble getting it started. The seller left them at my place and the one which I rather like didn't have a key and I couldn't get into the boot.

What I did was give some power to a positive in the front right fuse box and connected to another battery. This powered the interior of the car which allowed me to get the boot open from the inside. I took the EIS, Gear shifter and Engine ECU from one of the other cars. With the battery connected this allowed me to activate the dash, remote locking etc. The car didn't start, but I think it was the starter. Today I wanted to do the same, but now the key will not turn at all.

I tired the same equipment from another doner which was cranking the engine in the other car and it also doesn't work in the one I want to fix.

Any suggestions of fuses I should look at. It's as if the EIS isn't getting any power.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2016, 04:35 AM

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 C300
What year is it you're looking at? If it's any use, here's a fuse diagram. Check any and all even vaguely associated with the starting and ignition system.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:57 AM

Thanks for that. I've checked every fuse and they all look perfect.

I'm not sure how to check relays, do you have any idea how to do this?

Apart from the EIS, Engine ECU and gearstick what else contributes to the key working?

I'd really love to get the car working. There doesn't look to be much wrong and it would be great! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-20-2016, 05:04 AM

2018 C300
Well, I suppose you could swap the relays between your donor cars and the one you're trying to make work and see if it makes a difference. What else have you done with the car? It could be related to the work you've been doing. Loose connector, wires crushed reassembling something, or any number of things.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:08 AM

I think I will take your advice and swap all of the relays and fuses between the various cars. That would rule out any problems with the fuses and relays
Apart from that the only changes I made was swapping the EIS, Engine ECU (Left Side) and and gearstick.

It was working on day 1. Then on day 2 I had to connect power to the fuse board and since then it won't work. Something must have been fried.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:16 AM

2018 C300
Easy to fry things in these cars when taking power on and off if you don't do it just right. Any electrical work means disconnect the battery from the car and only reconnect when you're done with everything else. Don't worry about swapping fuses if they're not blown.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Try a brand new battery connected in the proper lOcation in the trunk, not hooked up to the fuse box

If that doesn't work I bet you blew the main fuse located under the aluminum plate under the front carpet

If that doesn't work just part the cars out , make some profit money and buy a running car

These cars likely suffered water damage from the reed valve and that's why they don't run

Last edited by tusabes; 10-20-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:53 AM

Thanks for your replies. I'm also thinking it must be a fuse somewhere. I had a look under the passenger footwell and can't seem to locate it.

Any idea where it could be? Bearing in mind the steering wheel is on the opposite side!!

I've attached pictures. She a sorry looking state, but definitely there is a good car in there somewhere, especially with three of them knocking about.

Footwell (Passenger)

Dash

Dash