S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Vehicle sitting low.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Mercedes S500
Vehicle sitting low.

Hey everyone, i have a 2004 s500 with airmatic suspension. The car currently has 101,xxx miles. Recently it has become very cold where i live. Yesterday when i got off work and went out to my car i noticed the back was sitting very low but the front was at its normal position. The temperature outside was below freezing at the time. When i started the car, it raised up and did not give me any airmatic malfunction warnings or anything like that. I parked my car outside when getting home and noticed that about 5 hours passed before the back was sitting very low again. Today it warmed up to above freezing temperatures and the car is no longer sagging. Since only the back was sitting low i suspect that one or more of the air springs is going bad or is it normal for this to happen in freezing temperatures? Anyway does anyone know how long the vehicle will still be drivable before it has to be towed as a result of an airspring failing? Thanks - Josh
Old 11-21-2016, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
It's a common problem
there is nothing really wrong with your system , water has built up inside the compressed air and it freezes causing air valves to freeze open and leak down

you should change the dessicant and filter on your air compressor
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2411265-air-pump-rebuild-new-desiccant.html

or you can just live with it