S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Weird electrical glitches when ignition on but engine off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
Weird electrical glitches when ignition on but engine off

Hello all, I am having this very weird problem when my key is turned to position 1 or 2 with the engine off.

Every single electronic starts glitching out in the car; the instrument cluster starts doing some weird things like rebooting itself and momentarily tripping the SRS light for a fraction of a second then resetting itself, the nav system keeps rebooting itself, lumbar seats keep inflating/deflating themselves, and even the headlights and turn signals start turning on/off by themselves.

These weird electrical glitches eventually permanently tripped the SRS code, and now it won't go away. Everything goes back to normal when the engine is started. I am really confused as to why this happens, and I couldn't find any information on what it is, hence I'm posting on this forum to hopefully get an answer. Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
2005 S600 2005 SL600
I would suspect the battery itself. Incorrect voltage can cause all sorts of electrical "gremlins" and it's only the battery supplying voltage when the engine is off.

The S600 is a pretty demanding car, electrically. It's hard on batteries.

Start with that.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:14 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Astro14
I would suspect the battery itself. Incorrect voltage can cause all sorts of electrical "gremlins" and it's only the battery supplying voltage when the engine is off.

The S600 is a pretty demanding car, electrically. It's hard on batteries.

Start with that.
That's strange, I had just replaced the battery with a brand new one from the dealer just last year. I'll check the battery terminals and make sure everything is fine. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I just noticed that there is a bunch of hydraulic fluid around the battery and terminals, definitely from the hydraulic trunk assist pump. That damn thing started leaking from the hydraulic lines, and now all the fluid is in the battery compartment. Stupid MB for putting these two things right next to eachother... Anyways, I think I have found the problem, I'll report back into the forums if I manage to fix the issue or not just by cleaning the battery compartment out.

Last edited by AlexMercedes; 11-25-2016 at 04:18 PM.