S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Door lock issue

Old 12-16-2016, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01 s500
Door lock issue

Howdy all

My doors lock but wont unlock, I can hear the pump working for 6 seconds when trying to open or close. I dont hear any air leaking out from the door panels or the seats. i reset the pump by pulling its fuse for a few hours. Now what throw a new pump at it?

shem
The following users liked this post:
bbspoolside (07-15-2017)
Old 12-17-2016, 04:09 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
Why? You just described that it's working correctly.

Not being able to hear a leak doesn't mean there's no leak.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Simultaneous failure of half the functions of four individual lock mechanisms or door modules is essentially impossible, so you are in fact probably looking at a problem on the pump or on some common point.

Some folks have reported that the internal passages or ports on the pump can get clogged with debris, and that disassembly and cleaning took care of the issue. If you try this, do your homework, and be absolutely certain that you know how to identify and mark every electrical and pneumatic connection on the pump!
Old 12-17-2016, 10:34 AM

01 s500
Ive had an air leak years ago near one of the door locks that I fixed. It was a very obvious air leak. If there was a leak the pump would run for much longer and time out. There are 2 sets of lines coming out of the pump, im guessing pressure and vacuum side? If so where would the common point be? seat lumbars are turned to zero also.

Thanks
shem
Old 12-18-2016, 02:33 AM

-
I don't think there are separate pressure and vacuum lines. It's the pump that alternates the flow.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
An interesting diagram - that I don't understand.

The doors on the USA versions have two pneumatic actuators. The door lock actuator has to both push and pull, thus needs both pressure and vacuum. The soft-close actuator is pull only, so needs only (I assume) vacuum.

So far, I haven't a clue how this could be done with only one line to each door lock module.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:59 PM

01 s500
Thanks for the replies fellas! Id guess the euro models pump switches from pressure to vacuum. Mine does have 2 sets of lines and they must connect somewhere. I pulled a door panel and theres only one line going to the actuator so thats gotta have a junction somewhere for the 2 lines to meet. I pulled all the trunk coverings off and I dont see a junction. Is there a distribution block or something like on the air suspension?

Thanks
shem
Old 12-19-2016, 02:00 AM

-
wallyp, these are the vacuum lines in the car It gives you an idea of where to look so you don't tear all the carpet on one side only to find out that all the lines are routed on the other.

the_shem, as per wallyp's clarification, you must have the soft close feature then, right? Both lines should start from the distributor box you see on the bottom right of the diagram. I don't know its exact location, I think it's in the trunk, around the left side. Will search.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:17 PM

01 s500
I found the pse pump, its under the drivers side trunk carpet under a foam cover. It has 2 sets of 6 lines coming out. Correct me if im wrong here but im thinkin the 6 lines are the 4 doors +1 gas door lock +1 trunk lock and one set is for pressure and one for vacuum. If so there has to be a meeting place somewheres because at the door panel locks theres only one line. I do have the soft close but that hasnt worked for ages and the doors just stopped unlockling cupla days ago. I thought the soft close and the seat lumbar are each separate systems.

I dunno lol

shem
Old 12-31-2016, 02:50 PM

01 s500
Got it figured out the other day! I pulled the pump and opened it up on the bench. Grabbed my jump box and hooked the neg to the black wire on the motor. Put a 5a fuse onto the pos clamp with one blade of the fuse sticking out and touched it to the pos of the motor. It ran for a sec n popped the fuse. motor sounded good tho. I pulled the pump assy off the motor and tried again, motor spun fine for days. I took some 2k grit paper and sanded the pump parts and reassembled. works like a champ and saved a fortune. I hear even if u buy a new pump u have to get it programmed at the dealer. *******s!

shemmy
The following users liked this post:
shadenfroh (01-01-2017)