S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Instrument Cluster Removal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-18-2004, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S500
Instrument Cluster Removal

Has anyone ever removed the instrument cluster on the W220? I've read articles on how to remove the cluster on the W140, but I think the W220 is different. There are two slots on left and right side of the cluster. Are those are for the tools to remove the cluster. Anyone?
Old 09-19-2004, 12:21 AM

300E
You need the tool for it. I think is this one.
Attached Thumbnails Instrument Cluster Removal-ec_1_b.jpg  

Last edited by S_kLaSse; 09-19-2004 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:30 AM

300E
If it is the right key. Here is the ebay link : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 09-20-2004, 12:50 PM

2000 S500
Thanks guys!! I just bought them. My instrument cluster lights just went out. From what I understand, this is a common problem with the W220.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:18 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 Mercedes S55
Same thing happened on my friends S500...

He has a '00 S500 which is out of warranty. Everything else is functioning except for the lights get flickers to dim(like at night-time driving) then to normal then back to dim and stays there. At night the cluster works fine because it just stays dim. Does anyone know how he can get this fixed because he said his car is out of warranty and the dealer charges about 1500 to replace it with a new one.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:42 AM

2000 S500
I talked to the dealer about it, and he said that it is very common. I'm going to order a new one, but I'm going to see if I can fix the old one as well. I was an electronics tech in the Navy years back, and if it is something simple, I can fix it. I'm thinking it has to be some part that burned out and created an open circuit. With the new cluster in hand, I should be able to compare resistance readings between pins to determine the problem. Any one else with ideas?
Old 09-23-2004, 02:15 PM

2000 S500
Well now the cluster has stopped flickering and the lights just don't come on at all. That is every single light on the cluster (not just the backlights). In addition, I noticed that the speedometer stopped working. Now I don't think it is the dimmer anymore. I think it is a transformer that has gone bad. That would also explain the flickering of the lights before they went out completely. The transformer must convert +12VDC into a lower voltage (maybe +5VDC) for the cluster. If that is the case, then that explains why the cluster cannot be repaired at the dealer; the tech cannot desolder a part from a circuit board - they have to replace the entire unit. But all of this is a guess. I will know better when I finally pull the cluster.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:49 AM

2000 S500
Instrument Cluster Repair

First the legal stuff:
Use the following information at your own risk.

Now the info:
It turns out that this $1200. instrument cluster can be repaired for about $15. Just like I thought, it is a power switching transistor (N Channel MOSFET). The part number is BUZ102S made by Infineon.

You'll need to remove the cluster with the tools mentioned above and unplug it. If your cluster is like mine, you'll notice a part that is loose right away. It is the BUZ102S that has fallen off the small power distribution board on the rear of the cluster. There are two large slots on each side of the rear of the cluster. Beneath them are two connectors. Unplug those connectors, then use a small flat head screwdriver to remove the back casing of the cluster. Use a T12 driver to remove the circuit board from the casing. Now you have the board completely removed and and ready to repair.

Important Tech Note
There are three BUZ102S ICs on the board. They all supply power to the instrument cluster and work in parallel. It is important to replace all of them at once. Here's why: When the first IC falls off the board the other two try to compensate by supplying more current. The additional work load causes the transistors to saturate. During this saturation phase, instrument cluster lights flicker on and off. Eventually one of the transistors fails or short circuits. When that happens, the 5A circuit fuse blows. This circuit fuse protects not only the instrument cluster back-lights, but also the guages, the parktronic, the remote truck opener, and the command back lighting. Because you cannot visually tell which transistor has failed, you must replace all three of them at once.

Use a desoldering braid and a 40W soldering iron to remove the ICs. Then carefully solder each new IC to finish the repair. Reassemble the instrument cluster and install. Before testing, locate the 5A protection fuse mentioned above. There should be a fuse diagram sheet with the tool kit located in the trunk of the vehicle. Replace the 5A fuse and test. You should now have cluster lights, guages, parktronic, trunk opener and about $1185. still in your wallet.

Last edited by esntrk1; 10-03-2004 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:39 PM

CLS500
Thanks for the valuable help

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and think it's so absolutely informative.

My Cluster went out on my 2000 S430 and just as Murphys law may have it. It went out just after the 4 year warranty expired.

The problem that esntrk1 described is exactly what I experienced and I followed his very comprehensive instructions to the letter and sure enough, I found 1 of the 3 BUZ 102S's melted on the small PCB board.

I'm now trying to source the BUZ 102S's, but can't find a source local to Northern California to get the parts. I call Infineon who referred me to Arrow Electronincs, who told me to go to R and D Electronincs who said no source. Tried also to call some other local component shops in the area with no success.

I'm hoping that esntrk1 can provide me with a source for the parts that I can call and have them send to me.

Again, thanks so much for the information. Saving $1500 on the cluster would be like hitting the lottery.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by d-e-z; 12-01-2004 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 Mercedes S55
Also looking for that part...

I am also looking for that part for my cluster. Please post if you ever find a supplier!
Old 12-04-2004, 08:21 PM

2000 S500
Try Alfa Electronics Supply (954) 987-5395.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:21 PM

CLS500
esntrk1, that's for everything. You are the man....
Old 12-06-2004, 10:34 PM

too many to list
esntrk1...thanx for that post very informative and helpful...
Old 08-02-2005, 02:20 AM

I want to thank esntrk1 for the very informative posting, and saving me $1500 plus $220 labor at the dealer. I also have a 2000' S500 which had the exact same problem with the instrument cluster lighting, flickering lights, followed by complete darkness. I went to a local mechanic who had to special tools to pull out the instrument cluster, upon inspection, I found the exact same BUZ102 power transister chip hanging. This is a very stupid design problem. I hope MBZ engineers are reading this: these power transistors generate lots of heat. There is usually a hole on the top so the chip can be mounted with a screw to the circuit board. However, the mounting hole was cut off to make room for other chips. Unfortunately, the instrument display is mounted at an angle. When the chips got hot enough, they simply melted the solder and fall off the circuit board. As esntrk1 mentioned, there are 2 or 3 BUZ102's working in parallel. When one of them falls off, the other is forced to work twice as hard, causing the instrument lights to flicker. After a few more weeks, the last BUZ102 also fails, causing the entire instrument cluster to go dark, and causing the fuse to blow. Reinstalling the fuse does not fix the problem. As esntrk1 described, remove the cluster, remove the back cover, remove the power supply cirucuit board which is mounted on the back cover. There are also two small wire plugs that needs to be disconned first before the back cover can be removed. There, you will see the BUZ102 chips half hanging. Replace all BUZ102 chips. They can be bought at Alfa Electronics (954)987-5395, and you should have your lights back, and $1900 saved. Shame on MBZ for making such a poor design. This problem should have been a recall. pjekoo@aol.com.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:02 AM

MBZ S500 instrument cluster lights

This is a followup to my last posting. It apprears that the problem is more complicated than this. Replacing the BUZ102 chips did NOT fix the problem. I will do more research and get back on this topic.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:04 AM

Got no dashboard backlight

Hi,

I got an 2001 mb s class, and the backlight just broke down yesterday. It had the same "shaking" light apperance for an longer period of time (2 years), some times it took a while before it stopped glittering. Anyway, now are the backlight totally gone, and i have just contactet the local mb garage... 6500 Dkr alomost 1000$ for an new kombiinstrument (dashboard).
The funny part is that it still got light in the middel display and all the meters are functioning as they should, but no back light at rest of the meter.
When i alter the light strenght at the left button, rest of the cars interior light proberly dims as it should.
I stripped the dashboard down yesterday, prior to reading this forum, and i found that the backlights are give by small neon !!! light tubes. My best guesses is that its very likely that the high voltage stage have an mall function. I doesnt have the skill to messure where the brake down is, butt to begin with, i have ordered the 3 buz102s chips.
For the time being i am buying an defect dashboard on ebay, from which i will "harvest" all the high voltage components, if it isn't the "buz" chips.

Regards John Bech
Old 10-12-2005, 02:04 PM

Instrument cluster lights

I finally had mine fixed. I found a guy in Florida name Mark. He fixes Mercedes electronics. His Phone number is (754)235-0000. His website is
http://www.4mercedes.com/ It was for about $450. If you do call him, please tell him I referred you.

He will send you a loaner cluster. You then mail your cluster to him, he will fix it and send it back to you. You then mail the loaner cluster back to him.

I do minor electronic repairs, but this cluster was beyond me. It appears that when the BUZ102 chips fall off, they cause short circuits and damages to other parts of the cluster. I removed the large circuit board and found a small part of the tracing (the lines on the circuit board) acutally burned up. I fixed this and the lights came back, but only for about 10 seconds before the fuse blows. I know the problem is still within the power supply board, but MBZ does not sell the power supply board as a separate part. It has been very frustrating knowing this is an isolated problem within the cluster, but will cause you to replace the whole thing. According to Mark, this is a problem that will eventually happen to all 2000/2001 S Class. He has already fixed hundreds of them. I hope you can get yours fixed. Good luck.

Regards. Paul Koo.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:28 AM

I also have a 2000 S500. Same problem with the lights on th instrument cluster. Flickering for about two months and then going out completely. The guages also stopped working. I was able to replace a fuse under the hood (i think it was 5W), and I got the guages to work again but no lights. My dealer in ST. louis wants $2500 for labor and material. I will try the comprehensive information provided by esntrk1. Thanks for such a thourough follow up on you history with this problem. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:01 PM

1997 E320
Instrument Cluster,

Hi everyone, my lights on my instrument cluster aren't dead, but my fuel gauge is, any thoughts if replacing all those things u said would work? Thanx,
Old 12-05-2005, 05:58 PM
BBH

2010 CL63 (was 2003 CL55)
My fuel gauge is getting flaky too...

I have a 2000 S500 that I just bought. Love the car...except for AM radio reception and a flaky fuel guage. The fuel gauge drops to below zero, then usually resurrects itself. It may go through the cycle several times while driving somewhere. I suppose it is going to completly die one of these times.

I, too, would appreciate any tips on how to handle it.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500, 2001 Camry,1996 Honda SUV
hi,

I don't think the fuel gauge problem is in cluster. If you search around in forum with "fuel gauge", you will find several threads. It is one of the common problems.
This is a great forum and I learnt a lot and saved a lot from here.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:11 AM

s class dash repair

try these guys. they fixed one for a friend of mine. http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp...hboard_cluster
Old 01-27-2006, 03:40 PM

01 s430, 06 ml350
Originally Posted by esntrk1
First the legal stuff:
Use the following information at your own risk.

Now the info:
It turns out that this $1200. instrument cluster can be repaired for about $15. Just like I thought, it is a power switching transistor (N Channel MOSFET). The part number is BUZ102S made by Infineon.

You'll need to remove the cluster with the tools mentioned above and unplug it. If your cluster is like mine, you'll notice a part that is loose right away. It is the BUZ102S that has fallen off the small power distribution board on the rear of the cluster. There are two large slots on each side of the rear of the cluster. Beneath them are two connectors. Unplug those connectors, then use a small flat head screwdriver to remove the back casing of the cluster. Use a T12 driver to remove the circuit board from the casing. Now you have the board completely removed and and ready to repair.

Important Tech Note
There are three BUZ102S ICs on the board. They all supply power to the instrument cluster and work in parallel. It is important to replace all of them at once. Here's why: When the first IC falls off the board the other two try to compensate by supplying more current. The additional work load causes the transistors to saturate. During this saturation phase, instrument cluster lights flicker on and off. Eventually one of the transistors fails or short circuits. When that happens, the 5A circuit fuse blows. This circuit fuse protects not only the instrument cluster back-lights, but also the guages, the parktronic, the remote truck opener, and the command back lighting. Because you cannot visually tell which transistor has failed, you must replace all three of them at once.

Use a desoldering braid and a 40W soldering iron to remove the ICs. Then carefully solder each new IC to finish the repair. Reassemble the instrument cluster and install. Before testing, locate the 5A protection fuse mentioned above. There should be a fuse diagram sheet with the tool kit located in the trunk of the vehicle. Replace the 5A fuse and test. You should now have cluster lights, guages, parktronic, trunk opener and about $1185. still in your wallet.
thanks for the heads up, you are definitely the man. my 01 s430 just went out and i am looking for the part as we speak.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:33 PM

S430
My Instrument Cluster just went out. I have searched and searched to find a replacement cluster. There was only one available, which is at a Salvage Yard in Kansas City. I went to see the dealer (first mistake), to ask if I purchased the used cluster would they be able to install the cluster. After 15 minutes of song and dance about the restrictions, I decided to forgoe the that thought and utilize the dealer. There is Company in Florida (4Mercedes.com) which the owner says he can fix the cluster. I currently live in Southern California and was reluctant to utilze them due to the distance. So I say all this to come to this conclusion: I really love my car and really wanted a hastle free repair. The dealer has my car which has been for 10 days waiting for the Cluster to arrive from Germany and to send the cluster back to Dallas for programming. Ohh, and it has a hefty price tag of Approximatly 2K (Ouch).
Old 03-06-2006, 06:47 PM

For those interested (or have a 00 or 01 that has not broken) there is a NHTSA recall:

id# 06V028000
go here to search that #:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm

The recall was just issued in Feb '06.

I attached a pdf of the info on the mercedesshop thread for those intersted:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...64#post1111364

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Removal