S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

S550 Tires

Old 02-14-2008, 02:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
S550 Tires

The dealer tells me that my car (S550/AMG) which will arrive by mid April will have Continental tires on it . Needless to say, I don't like the Continentals and want either Michelin or some other high end brand.

Is this something the dealership can ask for while the car is being built in Germany? I don't see why they can't put the ones I want on that car.

Does anybody have experience with this and/or which tires suit the S550/AMG best for all-season high performance?

Last edited by AustinGuy; 02-14-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 S550, '03 & '15 GMC Sierra 1500, '17 C300
Two different dealers told me there is no way to control the supplier on the stock tire. Some dealers may swap brands if they have other vehicles in stock to make a sale. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by cablvr
Two different dealers told me there is no way to control the supplier on the stock tire. Some dealers may swap brands if they have other vehicles in stock to make a sale. Good luck!
I'm speaking from past experience (albeit a few years ago): On my 750iL, I requested the dealership to put on Michelins and they obliged even though all the cars at that time were coming in with those ugly Pirelli's....

Note: I am no "tire guru" and basing this mainly on looks and what I know of performance/durability: My take is that Michelin is #1 in both areas and then Dunlop and BF Goodrich come in 2nd and 3rd respectively. Yes/No?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:41 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
AMG S/CL's seem to be equipped w/Contis, Pirelli or Yokos...

Doubt any retail consumer really knows which of those brands/specific model tires are ultimately best for an S550 when evaluated along various perf/durability criteria.....presumably factory has thought through these parameters in spec'g tires....

Dealers may be willing to interchange tires w/other cars on lot....but have heard of risk of tire/wheel damage during such interchanges....and risk that "source" car on lot may have "stale" tires (tires have a decay half-life in which clock starts once produced, even if not driven)....and may not want tires that have been supporting a non-driven-for-mths 4600lb car (flat spots form)...

Over past 18 mos or so have driven total of 25K+ mis in varying CA conds in several S/CL w/Conti SC2's (550, 600 and 63)....Contis seem fine in my expce...
Old 02-14-2008, 02:23 PM

'09 S63 AMG
WSH - I just talked to someone at the parts dept. here at MB/Austin and he told me that he unequivocally recommends Michelin followed by a distant 2nd. Continental

I got into a 15 min. conversation with him and he told me that he's had problems with other tires (esp. Pirelli's) on the S550/AMG.

As far as damage to the car if they swap it on site..... well, aren't they an MB dealership? I understand that there is potential for damage but is it any greater than what would happen if you brought your car in for a tire change after a year? I know that the car come tuned and inspected from Germany and then again at the VPC.......

Last edited by AustinGuy; 02-14-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:00 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Interesting...

Which Michelin model does he recommend for S550 (presume this is 19" w/AMG sport wheels)? Any sense of what criteria he thinks make Michelin superior, e.g., dry vs wet perf, durability, noise? Let's not forget priorities are often rather different for a 4600lb luxury sedan prob used daily for straight-line driving vs priorities for a 3100lb sportscar largely used for wkend twisties driving when weather is dry/warm and where pavement is relatively smooth...

IIRC, AMG is not spec'g any of its S/CL's w/Michelins...true? Would think AMG would want max perf tires on its high-margin cars....

Porsche 911 Turbo forums often have endless tire debates, w/some guys advocating MichPilotSport2s and others extolling Bridgestone Potenzas, etc....am no tire expert, but I have yet to find any rational, data-supported arguments for one brand/model tire over another among the various mfr-spec'd choices...seems like mfrs spec various brands/models of tires after considering various trade-offs...

Agree...risk of damage w/tire swap is no greater than in any tire/wheel work....but some like to minimize their exposure to risks of damage if gain may be minimal/controversial (or even negative)...
Old 02-14-2008, 05:05 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by WSH
Interesting...

Which Michelin model does he recommend for S550 (presume this is 19" w/AMG sport wheels)? Any sense of what criteria he thinks make Michelin superior, e.g., dry vs wet perf, durability, noise? Let's not forget priorities are often rather different for a 4600lb luxury sedan prob used daily for straight-line driving vs priorities for a 3100lb sportscar largely used for wkend twisties driving when weather is dry/warm and where pavement is relatively smooth...

IIRC, AMG is not spec'g any of its S/CL's w/Michelins...true? Would think AMG would want max perf tires on its high-margin cars....

Porsche 911 Turbo forums often have endless tire debates, w/some guys advocating MichPilotSport2s and others extolling Bridgestone Potenzas, etc....am no tire expert, but I have yet to find any rational, data-supported arguments for one brand/model tire over another among the various mfr-spec'd choices...seems like mfrs spec various brands/models of tires after considering various trade-offs...

Agree...risk of damage w/tire swap is no greater than in any tire/wheel work....but some like to minimize their exposure to risks of damage if gain may be minimal/controversial (or even negative)...
Well, his basis for extoling Michelin was that it's simply a better quality and has had few-0 problems. He works in service/parts so........I'm assuming he's in the frontline and knows what's happening. He specificially told me that Perelli's were problematic and to a lesser extent Contis.

As far as why MB does not put Michelin's on at the factory? Well, could it be cost? I would assume they are saving a ton going with non-Michelin's...?

Aside from that, I've known Michelin to be the holy grail for performance/all-season tires...... I also prefer the way Michelin's look - more bold, etc.

Last edited by AustinGuy; 02-14-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Yeah I have Conti's and I wish I can replace them with Michelin....
Old 02-15-2008, 12:09 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Good luck w/whichever approach you choose...

Have been pleased w/my ContiSC2 on my CL63 030....and my MichPS2 on previous 997TT...and PirelliZeroHero on previous 599....

My suspicion is specific tires are spec'd/calibrated by AMG/P/F re: various chassis set-ups....and no one brand/model is necessarily "best" vs any specific chassis set-up, esp when considered along the many perf/safety/durability criteria....but to each his own....
Old 02-15-2008, 02:08 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by WSH
Good luck w/whichever approach you choose...

Have been pleased w/my ContiSC2 on my CL63 030....and my MichPS2 on previous 997TT...and PirelliZeroHero on previous 599....

My suspicion is specific tires are spec'd/calibrated by AMG/P/F re: various chassis set-ups....and no one brand/model is necessarily "best" vs any specific chassis set-up, esp when considered along the many perf/safety/durability criteria....but to each his own....
I agree 100%.

But, for me, at this time, all things being =, it's the "looks" that does it for me as far as Michelin goes
Old 02-15-2008, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by cablvr
^+1
Old 02-15-2008, 11:27 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by tanktube67
^+1
I see you posting this everywhere: Just what exactly is "^+1"?

Somthing to the effect of "I agree + 1"?
Old 02-15-2008, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S-550 AMG, 2008 GL450, 2005 Ford F-350, 1998 Bentley Turbo R, 1962 Bentley s-3 Saloon,
Has anyone tried Pirelli p-zero on their 550 if so are they worth the change from the stock contis on the amgs.
John
Old 10-24-2010, 05:12 PM

Mercedes S550 ///amg
tires?? or suspension issues??

I dropped of my 07 S550 at the Maryland MB dealership for a REALLY LOUD front end noise when driving over small bumps, or even a tiny tiny rock! I can feel EVERYTHING, every little spider that crawls over the road. And the noise sounds like some faulty balljoints, or tie rod ends, or some bushings. They said the front suspension is ROCK solid and everything is perfect. So they put it on the FALKEN FK452 tires. (stok AMG 19" rims)

So they can take money from me, they found the ENGINE MOUNTS collapsed (payed 900$ to fix.) Anybody ever heard of engine mounts collapsed on a 70,000 miles S-class ?? Also the fuel lines were dirty (300$ fixed) transmision oil started to smell burned (400$ transmission service) so they gave me a 2,400$ invoice and my S-class still rides like on 22" custom chrome wheels!

I really don't believe the tires can make that sound. It has to be something from the suspension.

To confess... I hit a sewer cap at 50 mph on the highway and my front rim was bent pretty bad (had to straighten it out) and MB of Maryland says front end suspension is PERFECT tight and solid together.
When I fully stop at a red light I can hear a click by the rims, and same thing when I take off from the light. Which is definitely a control arm bushing or something.

What should I do ? have it inspect at a different shop and have them pay the bill if anything faulty?? any recommendations near WA DC area? maryland Virginia?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:14 PM

Mercedes S550 ///amg
oh and yea...... the dealership STRONGLY recommended MICHELIN tires. Did they use that as a excuse?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:22 PM

2014 E350 4matic sedan
My S550 4 matic AMG pkg came with Michelin pilot sports2 from the dealer.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
Interesting cause mine came with continental contact sport.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:44 PM

07 s550
Originally Posted by opris_gabriel
I dropped of my 07 S550 at the Maryland MB dealership for a REALLY LOUD front end noise when driving over small bumps, or even a tiny tiny rock! I can feel EVERYTHING, every little spider that crawls over the road. And the noise sounds like some faulty balljoints, or tie rod ends, or some bushings. They said the front suspension is ROCK solid and everything is perfect. So they put it on the FALKEN FK452 tires. (stok AMG 19" rims)

So they can take money from me, they found the ENGINE MOUNTS collapsed (payed 900$ to fix.) Anybody ever heard of engine mounts collapsed on a 70,000 miles S-class ?? Also the fuel lines were dirty (300$ fixed) transmision oil started to smell burned (400$ transmission service) so they gave me a 2,400$ invoice and my S-class still rides like on 22" custom chrome wheels!

I really don't believe the tires can make that sound. It has to be something from the suspension.

To confess... I hit a sewer cap at 50 mph on the highway and my front rim was bent pretty bad (had to straighten it out) and MB of Maryland says front end suspension is PERFECT tight and solid together.
When I fully stop at a red light I can hear a click by the rims, and same thing when I take off from the light. Which is definitely a control arm bushing or something.

What should I do ? have it inspect at a different shop and have them pay the bill if anything faulty?? any recommendations near WA DC area? maryland Virginia?

I went to the MD OM dealership and after shelling out over 2400 and still hearing the same sound over and over again finally found out the answer here on this forum. Its an issue with the car. Read the details on this forum here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...eed-bumps.html

I got it fixed for free after spending all that money and these guys didn't even say sorry. they maintain that all the parts they changed were in need of change. I stopped usingh this dealer after this. better ones in tysons and arlington.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:27 PM

2001 E55, 2008 S550, 1995 BMW M3
Exclamation

Originally Posted by anmhi
Has anyone tried Pirelli p-zero on their 550 if so are they worth the change from the stock contis on the amgs.
John

I have these on my 2008 S550 with 19" amg wheels and let me steer you in a far direction away from these.

These tires are meant for performance on a track- not daily use.

I hear noises, feel bumps, like I would hitting a tennis ball using a racket.
The car rides rough and makes loud turning noises when driving slow.

I cannot wait until they are down to the bar so I can buy some meaty Michelin's.
I hate the Pirelli!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:58 AM

s550
I recently replaced my old contis with Michelin pilot super sports and LOVE them. They are very smooth and quiet and after a alignment and new tires the car rides really well. The shoulders are pretty soft on these but I have heard guys on the Porsche forum say these handle really well and last a bit longer than the PS2 which I have on a 996tt and have also really liked.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 PM

2013 S550 4-matic
Exclamation S550 continental tires

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum. I've been driving the S500 4matic in the limousine business over 6 years. I'm based inn New York. Drive 75% in manhattan. This mercedes in my opinion is the best luxury car to be driven in nYC. BUT I finally bought my own S550 4-matic in march. And within the past 3 months have gone through 3 tires. Continental's. Not not putting down this product, but I dont think they should be putting such soft and thin tires in a car thats riding in manhattan streets. i'm going to the dealer tomorrow. Any little pot hole and the tire POPS.
Any suggestions??
Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Originally Posted by DavidPortnoy
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum. I've been driving the S500 4matic in the limousine business over 6 years. I'm based inn New York. Drive 75% in manhattan. This mercedes in my opinion is the best luxury car to be driven in nYC. BUT I finally bought my own S550 4-matic in march. And within the past 3 months have gone through 3 tires. Continental's. Not not putting down this product, but I dont think they should be putting such soft and thin tires in a car thats riding in manhattan streets. i'm going to the dealer tomorrow. Any little pot hole and the tire POPS.
Any suggestions??
I assume you do not need high speed performance tires if you are driving in Manhattan. You can sacrifice high speed handling for longer tread life and better winter traction. I would look tires with a road hazard warranty.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:05 PM

2013 S550 4-matic
Smile S550 tires

I agree I plan on buying Michelin
Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Originally Posted by DavidPortnoy
Any suggestions??
Are you running extreme wheel sizes like 22's with 295 's or bigger in the rear?Perhaps for city driving would tend to use 18 inch max 19 inch ,well withing MB-specs ?
BTW I am running 255x35x20inch Michelin Super Sport all round and would not recommend for carrying passengers in downtown environment.
Very suitable for sporty autobahn driving these are, for sure!!

Last edited by marthyh; 07-19-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:20 PM

2010 S550
I have the pirelli's on my stock 19's. I highly suggest them! Better than any other tire I've ever purchased in the past.. Hands down!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S550 Tires