S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Headrest wont go down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
Rear Headrest wont go down

Hey,

My rear headrest wont go down. I press the button and they stay upright. I checked the fuses, seems to be okay. Whats the deal?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S550V4 2001 S430 (Sold) 1976 450 SL
Mine also wouldn't drop at the push of the console button, as they should have. I really didn't like seeing all three in the rear view mirror. I checked the fuses located behind the rear seat armrest and found no issues.

My indie cleared faults and they dropped like stones.

Do you have the dynamic seat option? If so, they might be tied into that, unless you have it and it is working o k. At least in my personal experience, I found a tie-in.

I haven't fixed the seat option and haven't raised the rear head rests, for fear I'd have three distractions in my rear view mirror again.

But, if you don't have the dynamic seat option, my post, for the most part, is of zero help.

Love to see others' input.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:43 AM

s550
Originally Posted by Em Bee Lover
Mine also wouldn't drop at the push of the console button, as they should have. I really didn't like seeing all three in the rear view mirror. I checked the fuses located behind the rear seat armrest and found no issues.

My indie cleared faults and they dropped like stones.

Do you have the dynamic seat option? If so, they might be tied into that, unless you have it and it is working o k. At least in my personal experience, I found a tie-in.

I haven't fixed the seat option and haven't raised the rear head rests, for fear I'd have three distractions in my rear view mirror again.

But, if you don't have the dynamic seat option, my post, for the most part, is of zero help.

Love to see others' input.

Hey, thanks for the input. Just to answer your questions....

Do you have the dynamic seat option? No

I checked the fuses located behind the rear seat armrest and found no issues. The fuse diagram that came with the car shows the fuse for the rear head rest was in the engine compartment not the rear arm rest. it was a 7.5. Did I miss something? is it in the rear arm rest?

My indie cleared faults and they dropped like stones. I'm a new MB owner, so don't flame me if I don't know what Indie is. So humor me and tell what or who that is so I can get this fixed. Thanks bro
Old 11-23-2010, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by silkz03
Hey,

My rear headrest wont go down. I press the button and they stay upright. I checked the fuses, seems to be okay. Whats the deal?
Had the same thing on my wife's S550. Took it to the Stealer and guess what? Cannot duplicate the malfunction. I think they have a rubber stamp with this statement.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:20 PM

Silkz03

Sorry for jargon. Indie is short for independent, not M-B dealer affiliated, mechanic.

Fuse(s)--I thought it was the rear armrest area for the fuse, but maybe I confused the area for fuses with the dynamic seat option issue I chased. Anyway, my mech. cleared faults assigned to the dynamic seats and in so doing, the headrest release worked. As I said, I am leaving them down.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 PM

s550
Thanks. Any advice helps.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:08 AM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63s 1993 mazda rx7 on Boost
My rears will NOT come up. how do I get them up

I press the button on the panel and I hear a motor sound nothing.
I drop 2 adults in the rear push the switch nothing... I fold down my rear seats fold them back up NADA...
The fact that I am hearing the motor kick in is tell me power is good fuse should be good.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:19 AM

s550
Originally Posted by sunil517
I press the button on the panel and I hear a motor sound nothing.
I drop 2 adults in the rear push the switch nothing... I fold down my rear seats fold them back up NADA...
The fact that I am hearing the motor kick in is tell me power is good fuse should be good.
Same here. I hear a motor running, but I haven't tried the fold down rear seat method yet, maybe that will work for me. Fuse is good, hope that is the only one and I'm not missing something else.

Check my post on Benzworld.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221...t-go-down.html
Old 11-26-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63s 1993 mazda rx7 on Boost
still not coming up

I am going to fold all seats and make sure no dirt or paper is stopping some type of switch from working the units. We have the same problem kinda of.

I am new to this car and so much "Active" devices I was thinking it was on of the unit... Try going into the setting with the KEY in the ign and see what features I can get to... Just learn there is a way to get move bass and vol out of the stock radio.. hidden setting again...

My friend next door has an e-class I will see how his operate and get back to you....
Old 04-21-2014, 01:24 PM

S550 4matic
I am having this problem also. The button on the console in front is definitely working because you can hear the air flowing when you press it but one head rest in particular is stuck in the upright position. Did you find a solution?
Old 04-21-2014, 02:39 PM

Again, I have the Drive Dynamic seats, where there are air "bladders" in each seat and seat back. I had leaks/defective seat back bladders in both front seats. What was happening is the pump located between the forward part of the trunk and behind the rear middle armrest would work and work at pumping air and then go into shutdown after "x" minutes. Kinda like blowing into a leaky balloon, it never will inflate. Up pops fault code. Clear code, hit headrest button and they'd drop. But, it'd always fault. Replacing both seat back bladders solved the problem. But, if your doesn't have the seat option, I am at a loss, as to what's causing the headrest issues.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:05 PM

S550 4matic
Okay, thanks. That's what I figured. How do you access the "bladders?" I tried getting to them by removing the wall panels in the trunk but still can't reach them.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:04 PM

Does your vehicle have the Drive Dynamic seat option? That is, can you regulate via COMMAND the seat and back comfort? These are regulated via air pockets in the seat and seat back. If you don't have those and that option, what I shared doesn't apply. There are no "bladders", to my understanding, located in the trunk area behind the back seat. They literally are in the seats. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1997 S320
1997 S320 rear seat removal instructions

I have the rear seat removed and I have the 3 bolts along the bottom of the back rest removed and I have the one under the first aid kit removed. How do I get to the other 3 along the top. Any pictures or illustrations would be helpful. I want to get to the head rest mechanism.
dan
Old 06-29-2014, 08:37 AM

S550
I have a related question, in the owners manual it says that when a passenger clicks the seat belt in, the back headrest is supposed to go up? Mine does not go up but the button on the center console does make them go down. Is that an option or is mine not working right?
Old 12-07-2020, 11:02 AM

S500L w220.175
Related rear headrest issue.... they'll go down using STAR, but not from the dashboard control.

The headrests on my 2003 W220 were permanently stuck up. I dismantled the rear of the car, replaced all the actuators (one had failed), blocked off the headrest raise outlets (the lines to them had disintegrated); replaced all the tubing; reactivated "headrest release" on STAR (it'd been de-activated; I left the headrest raise function turned off). Now, using STAR, I can lower the headrests. But when I press the control on the dash, nothing happens.

So I guess the SAM - PSE - headrests part of the system are all ok, and the problem is with either a faulty button on the dash or the connection between that and the SAM?
Old 12-09-2020, 10:51 PM

S500L w220.175
re: "headrests will go down using STAR, but not from the dashboard control", I seem to have solved my problem, although I'm not entirely sure how/why. I found the sub-menu under a sub-menu on STAR under "actual values" (I think it was) for "Upper Control Panel" for “Check component N72/1s4 (Rear restraints switch) using actual value”. When I press the switch in the centre console, it changes from "NOT OPERATED" to "OPERATED", so I knew my switch was fine. And then I heard the glorious sound of the headrests falling with a thunk.

But I have no idea why the switch works now, but didn't before. I didn't activate anything between it "not working" and "working". In the meantime I'd dismantled the dash enough to get the switches out and check them, so maybe I fortuitously bumped a wire in the right direction? Although that could mean that the system is likely to stop working again anytime soon. (But it’s a bit temperamental. It seems to fall about every 3rd press of the button, regardless of how long I press it for... even though STAR registers every press).