S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

S550 Sound System (Bose or Harman Kardon)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
If your music is on your IPhone/iPod, the cure for the "dead" sounding HK system is available from the App Store for $4.99. I discovered that the problem isn't so much in the HK speakers or amps...it's largely in the COMAND unit, where the factory EQ and limited audio controls conspire to kill what is actually a nice sounding system with decent power and fidelity.

Just feed the system a little more gain and apply some real EQ and you'll be very happy with the results. Unfortunately none of the preset Apple EQs get the job done in the S550. Plus you can't create custom EQs in the default Apple Music Player, which is really what's required.

I use the AudioForge EQ. Here's a screen cap of what the curve in my S550 looks like:

My library is Classic Rock, Pop, and Smooth Jazz encoded at 356kb.

This EQ curve will give you punchy, clean bass, bright (but not harsh) transparent highs and plenty of drive and power.

Those dots represent points on the frequency spectrum. Start with the "Flat" preset (Presets are on the 2nd icon on the bottom from left) Copy mine or make your own. Add your songs, start a song playing, tap a dot (it turns blue) and then drag it around until you're happy. Horizontal movement moves control up or down the frequency spectrum. Vertical boosts or attenuates the frequency's prominence in the mix.

The green line represents the actual EQ curve being applied. It smooths out the variations in the individual dots. You can make the curve sharper or softer at any point on it by selecting a dot, then using the "rubber band" move.

When the sound is where you want it, the curve can be saved and assigned a name, and it will appear in the Presets list.

The "Preamp" slider adds gain and gives the system more power overall. Slide it right until the VU meter hits red. The app will automatically back the signal down until it's not overdriving or clipping.

Player controls appear as an overlay. Just tap the icon on the bottom with the blue border to bring it up. Tap again to hide it.

On the COMAND, Bass and Treble to 100%, Logic7 Off, Fader back to -3.

I'll post a thread with a more detailed write up at some point, but this should get folks started. Sadly, this option does not apply to streaming music services (Pandora, MOG, Rhapsody) etc. Also, music files must be resident on the device (not on ICloud).

The EQ app becomes your Music Player. Controls are pretty straightforward. The COMAND gets confused as far as Title and Artist info on the display. I set the playlist to shuffle all songs and just use Voice Command to skip tracks.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails S550 Sound System (Bose or Harman Kardon)-eq.jpg  

Last edited by Mike5215; 08-16-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550 Iridium Silver / Black Interior
Thanks for the info on that app! I'm assuming that the app will only work if you are using an iPhone or iPod Touch (iPhone looking iPod) and not the older gen iPods since the app can only be installed on an iPhone or iPod touch?

Thanks

Mike
Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by MikeBoggio
Thanks for the info on that app! I'm assuming that the app will only work if you are using an iPhone or iPod Touch (iPhone looking iPod) and not the older gen iPods since the app can only be installed on an iPhone or iPod touch?

Thanks

Mike
Right.Ipod Touch or IPhone. If you don't have an IPhone, I'd pick up a used Touch on Ebay and just leave it as a dedicated source in the car.

I came upon a novel mounting solution as well. Normally I'd use a ProClip custom vehicle-specific mount, but they don't have a great option for the S550. Instead, I bought an IPod extension cable from Cable Jive, and ran it out of the glove box through the crease, tucked it in along the bottom of the console and had it terminate in the recess for the CD loader.

The phone is in an Agentia case. If you place the phone in the recess with the top resting along the bevel on bottom of the buttons, it forms a perfect friction fit. Solid as a rock and easily removed and reinstalled.

The EQ app can go into a cool active display in horizontal mode. Control is there too... tap to pause/start a track, or swipe to go to the next track or go back.

Attached Thumbnails S550 Sound System (Bose or Harman Kardon)-s550phone2.jpg   S550 Sound System (Bose or Harman Kardon)-photo.png  

Last edited by Mike5215; 08-20-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I've added a write-up on my recent addition of a compact graphic equalizer/preamp installed in the glovebox. It pulls power from the 12v receptacle and feeds signal into the aux-in cable from the car's media interface. Combined with the AudioForge app, the system now sounds great and is totally satisfying...night-and-day from stock. Adding the outboard EQ also allows for equalization of streaming music services like Pandora... a nice bonus.

Link here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...und-100-a.html
Old 12-29-2013, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
So turning off the surround mode and buying the $4.99 app on a stock system should help a bit?

Also, no bigger amp or tweaks to the audio with 2010+ refresh? 2013 same still also?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Jason B
So turning off the surround mode and buying the $4.99 app on a stock system should help a bit?

Also, no bigger amp or tweaks to the audio with 2010+ refresh? 2013 same still also?
As a first step, getting the app and disabling Logic 7 will get you headed in the right direction. Adding the outboard Clarion EQ is the real game changer though.

If you can live with running all of your audio through the Aux In, you won't need a bigger amp or better speakers...the stock system's weakness is mostly in the way the designers configured the factory EQ. The existing amp and speakers sound amazing once they're unleashed. Lots of punch, power and clarity. The mods cost next to nothing in time or money and it now actually sounds as good as I expected a Harman Kardon stereo in s $106,000 luxury sedan would sound.

Running your device through an outboard EQ helps a ton. I've since added two more items to the glove-box installation: A ground loop noise isolator from Radio Shack, and a small headphone amplifier for a little more power from the iPod's headphone output.

I've also managed to omit the need for the AudioForge app by using a little physical attenuation on the factory tweets and mids (inserting 1/2" thick foam discs over the speakers inside their enclosures). This allowed me to get less aggressive in pushing down the mids on the AudioForge EQ since the foam does a nice job of cutting the mid harshness but letting the desirable high end sound to come through beautifully. The disc sizes are 1" for the tweets and 4" for the mids. Not using the EQ to cut the mids left more signal available for power and volume.

If you want to test this out for under $10, pick up a sheet of 1/2" high density craft foam from your local craft or sewing store. Also buy a section of any black cloth that can serve as a Grille cover. Also pick up some heavy duty Velcro tabs.

Next, cut two 1" circles and two 4" circles. A glass or dish make good templates, The 1" attenuation material is going into the tweeter enclosure, between the speaker and the listener. To install, roll down the front window. On the tall end of the sail panel pull out and away and the sail panel pops off easily. Spread the back of the tweeter mount and the tweeter pops right out. lay the foam circle in the enclosure then pop the tweeter back in there.

For the 4" midrange speakers in the front doors, if you'd rather not crack the interior door panels open just yet, wrap the 4" foam circles with black fabric and use the Vecro to temporarily mount them over the midrange, which live directly above the Harmon Kardon emblem. See if they don't suddenly sound clearer and less harsh.

Lastly, I added a powered 10" Infiniti BassLink subwoofer in the trunk . Mercedes thoughtfully added a 12v outlet in the trunk in 2010, and since that's also where the factory amp is, it was easy to pull power and signal. It's set to come in at the very bottom, just for reinforcement of the kick drum and just a hint of bass note. (There are already a total of three subwoofers in the car that handle the mid bass easily and well. There are two 6" shallow mount subwoofers with dual coils in the front doors and a 10" shallow mount dual coil subwoofer in the parcel shelf.)

I know I've got it right when I get where I'm going but just sit there in the parking lot listening to the stereo for two (or six) songs.

Last edited by Mike5215; 01-01-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Awesome info! Great for anyone that's reading this post.

I must say, I haven't heard too many systems that I've been impressed with. a 92 LS400 still sounded the best as I remember. The W140 S class wasn't horrible, but lacked volume, most recent Infiniti Q45, was ok, but lacked volume.

I've been reading these forums hearing how "horrible" this system is and was expectiong to be very let down, especially when someone compared it to the w140, from 1995
Initial impressions of this stock system. I think it sounds pretty damn good. I only listen to Top 40, R&B, etc, and I'm pretty pleased. With volume up all the way almost, it is super clear, good bass and pretty good mid. In the front, it sounds like there are speakers mounted along the windshield, and I can't pick out center, left or right, unless a song is on that switches instruments or voices from left to right, very good. I already know with your mods that it would probably make this thing like a Nakamichi in the Lexus When I get bored of the stock system, I look forward to doing your upgrades. From what you've said, it's night and day. Hopefully that would hold true to my type of music.

One last thing. The sub in the trunk is vibrating the metal plate below it with all the circle holes in it (the first thing you see when you look under the sub in the trunk). Was thinking of wedging something in there, because when you pull down with your finger, the rattle goes away. Ideas on that?

Last edited by Jason B; 01-02-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Jason B
Awesome info! Great for anyone that's reading this post.

I must say, I haven't heard too many systems that I've been impressed with. a 92 LS400 still sounded the best as I remember. The W140 S class wasn't horrible, but lacked volume, most recent Infiniti Q45, was ok, but lacked volume.

I've been reading these forums hearing how "horrible" this system is and was expectiong to be very let down, especially when someone compared it to the w140, from 1995
Initial impressions of this stock system. I think it sounds pretty damn good. I only listen to Top 40, R&B, etc, and I'm pretty pleased. With volume up all the way almost, it is super clear, good bass and pretty good mid. In the front, it sounds like there are speakers mounted along the windshield, and I can't pick out center, left or right, unless a song is on that switches instruments or voices from left to right, very good. I already know with your mods that it would probably make this thing like a Nakamichi in the Lexus When I get bored of the stock system, I look forward to doing your upgrades. From what you've said, it's night and day. Hopefully that would hold true to my type of music.

One last thing. The sub in the trunk is vibrating the metal plate below it with all the circle holes in it (the first thing you see when you look under the sub in the trunk). Was thinking of wedging something in there, because when you pull down with your finger, the rattle goes away. Ideas on that?
I was spoiled by the system in the W220, so to me the 221 was a let down. I'm very happy with it now, but it took a lot of trial and error. Once in awhile I'll toggle over to an internal source to remind myself how the stock system really sounds. My complaints with the 221: The mids are too bright and harsh, and the system seems to lack dynamic range. The tone controls on COMAND don't go far enough and don't have a control for the mids. It's not offensive sounding, just not much punch and not up to the level of the rest of the car.

For the rear sub, i wedged a shop towel in there so that it actually covered the entire grille. You may also get a rattle in the front door panels at the hinge for the little compartment door, especially if you do the Clarion EQ mod . I stuffed the seam with some thin foam tape and that took care of it for the most part.

Adding the powered sub in the trunk helped control the rattles as well, since it let me decrease the amount of low bass going to the cabin speakers. It also gave me that nice low end "hit" on the kick drum sound.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks. Where did you wedge the shop towel? You mean from inside the trunk?

When I play super deep bass notes it rattles bad and if I push down from the top it goes away. When I say top, I mean being in the back seat and just pushing down on the black fabric area above it on the rear shelf, then it sounds great!

Now, from inside the trunk I doubled up some foam tape and wedged it into between the woofer basket at the one end where it's pretty much metal to metal but only helped a little. I read in other posts for older cars, 2007 s550 about the sub ripping and using rubber cement to fix. I don't think that's my issue.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221-s-class/1643174-rattling-subwoofer-repair-fyi.html

Last edited by Jason B; 01-03-2014 at 03:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Yeah, from inside the trunk, tuck the towel in between the edge of the trunk lining material and the metal speaker grille. Stretch the towel so it completely covers the metal grille and continue working it around the edge of the lining until the whole grille is covered and the edges of the towel are all hidden between the lining and grille. It'll cut some of the boominess in the bass as well as help with the rattles.

Good info on that link. I hadn't needed to get into mine but it's good to know there's easy access to the sub from inside the car.

Last edited by Mike5215; 01-03-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
I'm not too impressed with the sound system as well. But than again I don't drive around blasting my music that much anymore.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
You might if it sounded better I'm not much for big volume either. I just want clarity without brassiness, a nicely defined soundstage, and tight, punchy bass.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Mike5215
You might if it sounded better I'm not much for big volume either. I just want clarity without brassiness, a nicely defined soundstage, and tight, punchy bass.
Agreed
Old 01-04-2014, 03:21 AM

2010 S550
I just came from a 2011 Hyundai Genesis and it honestly had one of the best sound systems stock that I have ever had in a car. A 17 piece Lexicon system - only other car that has it is the Rolls Royce Phantom. My 2010 S550 has the HK system which doesn't really come close to it. May look into the EQ mod as described in the other thread.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd love to hear that system

Seriously though. In this day and age, I'm in a car that has a $110k sticker and has an optional stereo? It should just come with the good system. I've yet to see a 221 with the B&O system either. I think it's ridiculous.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I auditioned the system in the Genesis while I was looking to replace my S500. Compared to the stock system in the W220, the Hyundai didn't blow me away. Not bad, but it wasn't an "Oh YEAH" moment either. Granted, I didn't spend much time playing with it or configuring it. The S550 sounded dead to me the second I turned it on. Good if you want background music, but it gave the impression of an overall lack of power and detail.

I was contemplating a major aftermarket gut job, since the cure for low power and lack of detail is almost always better amps and speakers, but I figured I'd try some good old fashioned EQ first.

Once I had control over the equalization and gain, the true nature of the H&K amp and speaker system revealed itself. It's an entirely different animal. I was a little bummed about losing the iPod control through COMAND, but it was a small price to pay.

Here's the current set-up:

Ipod Touch Headphone Out>Ground Loop Isolator($25)>Clarion EQ ($50)>Fios Headphone Amp($24)>Aux In.

Speakers: Stock except for foam inserts in the door tweeter enclosures. 10" Infinity BassLink powered sub (trunk).

For streaming: Dedicated Verizon 4G LTE Jetpack Mobile Hotspot.

Source material:

Internal: 1700 song MP3/AAC library at 256k bitrate. Volume leveled.

External:ITunes Radio premium service (ad free, streaming 256kb AAC)

IPod internal EQ set to "Rock" preset.

COMAND set to 50% treble, 75% bass, 0 fader, 0 balance, Logic 7 disabled.

I'd recommend doing just the Clarion EQ first. If that doesn't produce a huge increase in performance for you the other stuff isn't going to make much of an impact. I'd do the powered sub last, and only if you find the cabin bass too loose and boomy. Otherwise the stock system has plenty of low end (three subwoofers).

Last edited by Mike5215; 01-04-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool. Also, I thought I read the 2010+ has a 40 gig harddrive for music. I copied a cd to the music register and it said it has 7 gig of space for music. What happened to the 40 gig? I think more spacer was added for 2010+?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 S550
Jason, I also only have 7Gb.

Hd
Old 01-07-2014, 06:31 AM

2011 S550
Question: I have also done the Music Register. I made four folder with different genres of music. When I want to add more music to one of the folders, do I just put more Mp3's on the Usb stick and add? Will this make dupes of songs and folders? Do I need to erase all songs on Usb then load? Thx

Hd
Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by natcahd
Question: I have also done the Music Register. I made four folder with different genres of music. When I want to add more music to one of the folders, do I just put more Mp3's on the Usb stick and add? Will this make dupes of songs and folders? Do I need to erase all songs on Usb then load? Thx

Hd
Maybe keep the library on an SD card for the time being. That way you can pull it out of the car and add to it or reconfigure the folder structure at will.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:32 PM

2011 S550
I will try adding a few Mp3s later.

Hd
Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 PM

2011 S550 4Matic
I have B&O in my 2011 S550 and I do love the sound BUT there is annoying rattling noise coming from where the subwoofer is... I'm not quite sure what's causing it, I think it's the rear window shade(?). I took it to the dealer about the problem and they said everything is working condition and nothing can be done about the rattling noise since bass is too strong... they just recommended me to lower the bass (lol total B/S...) I have it set to +5 Bass, I don't think that's set too high in my opinion.

I'm going back tomorrow to test other S550 sound system...
Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by zen0s
I have B&O in my 2011 S550 and I do love the sound BUT there is annoying rattling noise coming from where the subwoofer is... I'm not quite sure what's causing it, I think it's the rear window shade(?). I took it to the dealer about the problem and they said everything is working condition and nothing can be done about the rattling noise since bass is too strong... they just recommended me to lower the bass (lol total B/S...) I have it set to +5 Bass, I don't think that's set too high in my opinion.

I get that too, just on certain songs where the bass happens to be the right frequency and volume. I have the HK system. Sorry dealer, but the factory sound system shouldn't be able to develop bass in excess of what the car can handle without rattling. Have you pulled up the subwoofer cover panel and checked to see that nothing is loose and rattling in there?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:52 PM

2011 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Mike5215
I get that too, just on certain songs where the bass happens to be the right frequency and volume. I have the HK system. Sorry dealer, but the factory sound system shouldn't be able to develop bass in excess of what the car can handle without rattling. Have you pulled up the subwoofer cover panel and checked to see that nothing is loose and rattling in there?
That's really ashame... those rattling noise totally ruins the music for me, I'm sure you know the feeling. It's like someone chewing or clicking pen right next to my ears!

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to pull the cover panel. I couldn't even get my finger underneath it. Is HK designed the same way?

Last edited by zen0s; 04-17-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Originally Posted by zen0s

Try another dealer. I have my B&O bass set at 8 and it's nice and tight. Where is the rattle coming from (right, left, center?)? Is it only certain bass frequencies?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S550 Sound System (Bose or Harman Kardon)