S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Watch out for Drainage Clogging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S550 , S430
Watch out for Drainage Clogging

While washing my car, I notice that the "gutter" by the wiper blade was not draining and almost overflowing into the engine bay.

After following the path, I noticed that two side drainage pipes were clogged!!
Mine were plugged by accumulated dust/dirt. I just poked it gently with coat hanger and viola ... free flow!!
There is one on each side; it is located right below the engine hood hinges.

I would recommend to watch out for clogging in those drainage since they are narrow and couple leaves / debris will easily clogged them, especially since there are control units and fuses boxes in that area.

While at it, also check the drainage that is covered by the plastic mesh. There are two as well.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S500
I keep an eye on mine and cleaned them last week but this week I noticed they were filled with pine needles again (From where I park at work). I got them out but the drivers side drain is clogged. I snaked a thin wire down but about 8 inches in there's a blockage. Any tricks to open up the blockage?

I remember reading clogged drains can do some serious damage. I'll bring it to the dealer Monday If I can't fix it myself. I'm guessing compressed air is what they will use but if not what would the dealer use?
Old 10-11-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
Nice catch! I sometimes leave my S550 outside. I find a couple of red pines around that area near the seals. Very annoying. I always take them out. Plus that tree has to go. Since my car also has a power trunk, I also wipe the seals around it. Any water can cause the motor to burn.
Attached Thumbnails Watch out for Drainage Clogging-callistemon_citrinus_flowers_big.jpg  

Last edited by MBZSW221; 10-11-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 764 Likes on 646 Posts
S500
Its a shocking design... I unblocked mine completely and they are full or debris within a week (its autumn) much worse than any other car I've seen.

Even unblocked, leaves and rain go straight past and in to the area around the battery / brake servo. There are drain holes under the battery and on the other side under the servo (RHD car). Can easily get 3 gallons of water sloshing about if enough debris blocks these....

You can clean the (insufficient) drains with a flexible rod without too much agro, there's one small corner to navigate, I can get 3 foot in mine it comes out just behind the wheel arch liner and just about get them to flow a hose pipe on full bore
Old 10-13-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S550 , S430
a maintenance tips:
just vacuum the gutter & drainage during your regular car wash.
It is easier to vacuum when it's dry though